Best Everton Right/Left Back Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did He? Always thought of him a CB. I loved John Bailey, not is the class as Baines, just thought he was ace. (Probably tinted because he played for Bristol City as well).

He could play left back in the same way Lescott can, which started the discussion. Just talking about most talented Everton team on paper over the years.

yeah I heard a lot from my dad and grandad about ray wilson,
dunno if better than baines, but medals speak volumes, especially world cup ones

rats was always a CB for me though, and he did play on a bit too long after losing a good yard of pace due to an injury

Ratcliffe started out playing left back for us, he wasn't all that there.

From those before me, Ray Wilson was meant to be the absolute tits. Not sure if Baines is better.

Slightest of memories only of wilson. Seemed to be brilliant in defence, no one could get past him, tough tackler. Not called on to do much in final third in those days! Not when johnny Morrisey was in front of you.

He could play left back in the same way Lescott can, which started the discussion. Just talking about most talented Everton team on paper over the years.

On that basis, I would be amazed if Baines was not in that side. Not because he was or wasnt the "best" LB, but because what we all know he could bring to any side.

I have said many times that Baines isn't that good a 'left back'. He is an outstanding modern left sided defender / 'wingback'.
A full back is Pat Van Den Hauwe type.. A tackler.
It could be said that Bailey was better going forward, but Kendall wanted more of a defender. Baines has to do a lot of running in his role and he does get caught out on occasion.
Seamus is still learning the role, so its unfair to judge just yet, but having such a good tackler as Hibbert to learn off and also seeing how Baines does his role can only be good for us.

In fact, IMO, Baines is the only player of the current squad who could be even considered as a member of the best Eberton 11 of all time.

Baines is ridiculously ace, but am I the only one who thinks he could be a very effective midfielder or winger??

Baines is ridiculously ace, but am I the only one who thinks he could be a very effective midfielder or winger??

No mate. I have thought the same for a while. If RM dont get Bale for £100m, then £80m for Baines would do me!

No mate. I have thought the same for a while. If RM dont get Bale for £100m, then £80m for Baines would do me!

I really hope the club holds out on these bids from United. Then, with all the current shake up, we can can look forward, and finally paint the stadium blue...

Unfortunately, I'm only 19 so I can't fully say. I'm confident Baines is our best ever LB though, probably the best player I've ever seen in an Everton shirt.

Dunno about Coleman, it's quite complimentary to him that you should even suggest it as he's still likely to improve over the next few years. I'm confident he'll be our first choice RB until he's in his 30s though.

I'm with you there mate. Heck I reckon he'd even be a boss striker, but perhaps that one is just me (and those scals Baines dropped off at Ewood park).

Currently Coleman is our best fullback. Baines seems immune to criticism on these pages. Thought he was woeful on Saturday and was nowhere near as effective in the second half of last season as the first. Meanwhile, Coleman has got better and better and if we had to lose one of them I'd much rather we lost Baines and kept Coleman. JMO. As about of all time, I haven't the foggiest.

Currently Coleman is our best fullback. Baines seems immune to criticism on these pages. Thought he was woeful on Saturday and was nowhere near as effective in the second half of last season as the first. Meanwhile, Coleman has got better and better and if we had to lose one of them I'd much rather we lost Baines and kept Coleman. JMO. As about of all time, I haven't the foggiest.

Got to agree, actually.

I know there was talk of an injury but baines didn't have a great end to the season last year by his own high standards.

Still created more chances than any other player in europe, like. Which tells how high those standards are.

The game against norwich was honestly one of the best attacking performances I've ever seen by any everton player and it came from a full back.

Before I get abuse hurled in my direction, look where we concede all our goals. The left. First and foremost Baines is a Left BACK.

Status
Not open for further replies.