2019/20 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at him on Saturday I think he is lost and wasted out wide.
I would love to see him play where Sigurdsson is playing with his clever flicks and tricks in a position that could hurt defenders. They don't always work but al least he brings some guile to our play.
They almost never work. I'd rather see us try a totally new system than bank on a player who has never played #10 solving the problem of our #10 being completely ineffective.

You can't fault Bernard's work rate with or without the ball. He works really hard to be an option for passing and that's really great. But in the end he just does too little with the ball in the final third.

They almost never work. I'd rather see us try a totally new system than bank on a player who has never played #10 solving the problem of our #10 being completely ineffective.

You can't fault Bernard's work rate with or without the ball. He works really hard to be an option for passing and that's really great. But in the end he just does too little with the ball in the final third.
Operating centrally behind the striker in very tight spaces could suit his close control and inventiveness.
I agree that out wide he tries too many flicks that do not come off, but they are too far away from goal to make a real difference.
I think it would be a nightmare for defenders to be facing him with the ball at his feet on the edge of the eighteen yard area.

Yep. Boxing Day he had two and he hasn't had one since.

He's definitely a victim of the horrible tactics like everyone else but still every other attacker has produced at least one moment.

To me he knits things together, gets us up the pitch, gets us on the ball. Might not score/assist as much as we want but I feel much more comfortable with him on the pitch than without.

To me he knits things together, gets us up the pitch, gets us on the ball. Might not score/assist as much as we want but I feel much more comfortable with him on the pitch than without.
We don't score enough goals. Having knit things together players is fine if the others are producing but when they aren't it becomes a glaring weakness in the side that your LW is not really a threat in the final third.

I feel more frustrated with him on the pitch because he does have enough skill to beat guys and it's just so consistently wasteful at the end.

Does a lot more for the team than Iwobi. Team seems a lot more balanced with Richarlison on one wing and Bernard on the other.

Does a lot more for the team than Iwobi. Team seems a lot more balanced with Richarlison on one wing and Bernard on the other.
Our two best attacking displays (Wolves and City) Bernard didn't start. There's more going on than just him but we suffer because he does more for the team and less for the attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.