2019/20 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic to watch at times in a game but too often he gives the ball away in very good areas. He can be very wasteful and his decision making in the box is generally poor. He'd be one of the best 5 a side players in the league but we need players who score more goals.

I completely don't understand why others don't rate Bernard. Is it because he doesn't get the stats going? Lad busts an absolute gut, links up with Digne very well and is basically our modern version of Pienaar. He may not get the assist but he often is the guy setting up the assist person.

Yes, of course I wish he would contribute more either assists or goals but I'll take what I can get from the little rapscallion.

I completely don't understand why others don't rate Bernard. Is it because he doesn't get the stats going? Lad busts an absolute gut, links up with Digne very well and is basically our modern version of Pienaar. He may not get the assist but he often is the guy setting up the assist person.

Yes, of course I wish he would contribute more either assists or goals but I'll take what I can get from the little rapscallion.
If we are playing 4-4-2 then we can use Bernard as is and be very good. If you are doing something like 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 then the wide players have to have end product. It can't be all on the lone striker in those systems. So when we were playing those under Silva and he was not producing anything it was a problem and under a new manager it would go back to being a problem. There are certainly ways to set up the team and take advantage of what he brings but it shouldn't be done at the expense of players who actually do produce the match winning moments.

But I’m not offering you that.
I'd still take Lookman over Bernard. The short term play of using Bernard and forcing Lookman out has not really worked out. And maybe it goes like it has with Davies the last few weeks in that he doesn't really look like he's good enough. But you have to find out what you have. It's not like any of the "senior" players are world class and undroppable.

people saying he needs to do more etc, he's already got more goals this season than all of last season, he's been injured for a few weeks as well

didn't he get an assist against the RS as well? he's already improved massively on last season for "goals and assists"

Status
Not open for further replies.