2019/20 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he did enough to keep his spot. Its safe to say now... I think Iwobi is gunning for Siggys spot. The creativity that front line could have would be magic. Bernard, Richy, and Iwobi supplying Kean the ball in the middle.. I love where this is going. Keep the positive support for our young lads and they will reap the benifits
I hope they are able to replace Siggy's goals. That's my big concern at the moment. Siggy always takes time to get into his stride. I think once he does he'll still be a big asset at home when we dominate possession. I'd defo give Iwobi a go away from home though

Competition for places is what we want.

I hope they are able to replace Siggy's goals. That's my big concern at the moment. Siggy always takes time to get into his stride. I think once he does he'll still be a big asset at home when we dominate possession. I'd defo give Iwobi a go away from home though

Competition for places is what we want.
Fully agree. We seen it in the likes of Digne and Baines. Of course we new it was inevitable that Digne would take his place but did it quicker than we imagined. If Iwobi could put a bit of pressure on both Siggy and Bernie... we could be in for something special this year

I think it shouldn't be long before we get a look at Bernard at no.10....He would be far more effective than Siggy when teams sit back in large numbers.
Last season for me Bernard didn't look fit enough to take Siggy's place there, but i think now it's a move we should be making.
He's played single digit games there in his career I believe. I think it's more likely Iwobi plays 10 and Bernard stays wide if Sigurdsson gets dropped.

He's played single digit games there in his career I believe. I think it's more likely Iwobi plays 10 and Bernard stays wide if Sigurdsson gets dropped.

I think you're right he has primarily been a left winger. However, i don't see him holding down left-wing position for us in the long term, he's just about hitting prime age for a number 10, works hard and the point i was getting at before...when teams defend in large number Bernard is the perfect player to find space where it will be limited. There is a reason for the amount of short players at City.
And, has Iwobi ever played as a number 10?

I think you're right he has primarily been a left winger. However, i don't see him holding down left-wing position for us in the long term, he's just about hitting prime age for a number 10, works hard and the point i was getting at before...when teams defend in large number Bernard is the perfect player to find space where it will be limited. There is a reason for the amount of short players at City.
And, has Iwobi ever played as a number 10?
Iwobi has played there a few time for Arsenal and a bunch for Nigeria. More experience than Bernard at least.

The City players aren't top class players because of their height. In fact the best of the bunch is De Bruyne who definitely isn't short.

Iwobi has played there a few time for Arsenal and a bunch for Nigeria. More experience than Bernard at least.

The City players aren't top class players because of their height. In fact the best of the bunch is De Bruyne who definitely isn't short.
I'm not saying there top class because they're short, i'm saying that they are incredibly effective against teams that sit back and leave little space as they are class and short. The smaller turning circle a player has the more useful they are in smaller spaces. So, playing Bernard as a number 10 against teams that will sit back in large numbers against us could be quite fruitful. Where as Iwobi would be more in the same vein as Siggy, and would find themselves having to go wide or fall back in to midfield to receive the ball.

I'm not saying there top class because they're short, i'm saying that they are incredibly effective against teams that sit back and leave little space as they are class and short. The smaller turning circle a player has the more useful they are in smaller spaces. So, playing Bernard as a number 10 against teams that will sit back in large numbers against us could be quite fruitful. Where as Iwobi would be more in the same vein as Siggy, and would find themselves having to go wide or fall back in to midfield to receive the ball.
Problem is pulling wide is primarily how Bernard is getting the ball currently when playing on the wing.

And smaller players usually play better in tight areas but that isn't a 100% rule. Again Kevin De Bruyne does all the things you are saying at 5'11. Iwobi is a player who has shown ability in tight areas despite being a bit bigger and he has experience at the positioin so I just see it as more likely he gets the shot and Bernard stays wide.

The difference this season ( hopefully ) will be that Bernie and Richarlison have now got a striker in Kean, who can do the business and at least get into goal scoring positions.

It must be incredibly frustrating, knowing that that lovely through ball that you`ve just put through to Donkey Championship Loser is going to end up in the stands ( at best )

It must be very tempting to to keep hold of the ball and have a go yourself, rather than give it to that waste of space.

What's the need to call a 22 year old kid a loser because he's not as good a striker as you might wish?

Problem is pulling wide is primarily how Bernard is getting the ball currently when playing on the wing.

And smaller players usually play better in tight areas but that isn't a 100% rule. Again Kevin De Bruyne does all the things you are saying at 5'11. Iwobi is a player who has shown ability in tight areas despite being a bit bigger and he has experience at the positioin so I just see it as more likely he gets the shot and Bernard stays wide.

De Bruyne is a high quality player but even he finds himself pulling wide or coming further back to receive the ball against teams sitting back rather than playing in the pockets of space that a true number 10 could occupy.
Anyway I'm talking about if we continue to play the same formation, which doesn't really match city as they sort of play two number 8's and not a single number 10.
I have not seen enough of Iwobi to know how he would be, but I have seen enough of Bernard to know he has the capabilities to play there if needs be.

I like Bernard cutting in from the left, but I'd love to see him in the no10 role some time - it could be really interesting and a more pacey attacking set up.
I've got nothing against Siggy but maybe against a more defensive team Bernard, Richarlison, Iwobi, Kean could be a scary front 4 to face.

I have come to the conclusion that some lads on here don’t understand football
If Bernard doesn’t get you out of your seat( wether at the game , at home or in the pub ) or if you can’t see what he offers to the team both offensively and defensively ( it’s a team game and sometimes the whole is more than the sum of the parts ) than there is something wrong with your basic understanding of the game
No player since Duncan MC Kenzie gets me out of my seat as Bernard does.
As has been said on here , “ There’s magic in his boots. “
Some of his first touches from Pickford's long balls are things us mere mortals can only dream of

De Bruyne is a high quality player but even he finds himself pulling wide or coming further back to receive the ball against teams sitting back rather than playing in the pockets of space that a true number 10 could occupy.
Anyway I'm talking about if we continue to play the same formation, which doesn't really match city as they sort of play two number 8's and not a single number 10.
I have not seen enough of Iwobi to know how he would be, but I have seen enough of Bernard to know he has the capabilities to play there if needs be.
Gary Neville actually done a piece on KDB showing exactly this and comparing his crossing to Beckham and that piece of crap Gerrard

I have come to the conclusion that some lads on here don’t understand football
If Bernard doesn’t get you out of your seat( wether at the game , at home or in the pub ) or if you can’t see what he offers to the team both offensively and defensively ( it’s a team game and sometimes the whole is more than the sum of the parts ) than there is something wrong with your basic understanding of the game
No player since Duncan MC Kenzie gets me out of my seat as Bernard does.
As has been said on here , “ There’s magic in his boots. “
Some of his first touches from Pickford's long balls are things us mere mortals can only dream of

He needs benching though, as according to the stat monkeys, he doesn’t contribute enough lol

Status
Not open for further replies.