2019/20 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
In one game. Across 30+ last year, he didn't do enough.

People lament any mention of statistics on Bernard and yet it's often the very same people who cite Kean's goal:games ratio as a supporting argument as to what an incredible signing he is, or those who use Gylfi's G/A return when there's any suggestion that he isn't doing enough.

Stats are inconvenient for fans of Bernard. Stats see every side of the game. Work rate is a convenient metric for Bernard to hide behind as it's not easy for the general public to find comparative numbers for how hard other PL wide players work, there absolutely are stats that show how many sprints back Bernard makes, how many ball recoveries etc so you can certainly quantify that side of his game with numbers too.

As i've said before, if a system that includes Bernard means we score enough goals and win enough games to break the top six, then great, I just can't see it. And I don't think that makes me any less of a fan. If Bernard performs and scores, as he did on Saturday, consistently then he will rightly stay in the team. But i'd say it's intellectually disingenuous to use that one game where he scored as evidence to suggest he's better than the other 30 odd where, collectively, he didn't deliver anywhere near what you'd expect for a regularly starting, top six wide player.

Good luck to Bernie, I hope he proves me wrong, but I get the feeling he'll be starting on the bench well before Christmas.
Mate. if you want to critique my posts I don't have a problem. But at least read them properly first. My point about stats was specifically about the irony of having them turned on the poster after just 2 games. I'm certainly not singing his praises after 1 good game and my post makes that clear.

As for Bernard, we need to get ourselves into a position where we have a squad of quality players so we have quality cover for all positions. So 4/5 to cover the front 3. 4/5 to cover the midfield 3. 3 to cover CB. I can't stand it when people talk about the first XI and yo can't leave so and so out or Joe Bloggs needs to play. If we're going to compete we need a squad where player compete for positions and we're able to replace quality with quality during a game or through injury. If I had my way in the summer we'd have bought Zaha and Bernard's position would have been most at risk, but that doesn't mean he won't play. He'll probably play some part every game and start quite often too because of injury or just squad rotation for different matches..

This is what I don't really understand.

During the final third of last season Everton were on the whole very good, and only the top 2 had a better record than us. We had some excellent results against the top 6 in that run. Naturally we had some good performers during that period but Bernard and Gana were arguably the stand out ones. But you have spent literally the whole summer arguing that we should be replacing him.

Throughout pre season, Bernard has been awful in games, looking miles off the pace and totally out of synch with both himself and the other players. I don't see how he could have actually played worse in the final pre-season game against Bremen. Fortunately he improved against Palace (without being any great shakes might I add) and Saturday showed signs of the form that excited most of us fans at the end of last season. But now you're saying he is the only one showing up but in reality he has only hit anything like last seasons form in the one game.

The main reason you get a lot of stick on this forum mate is your tendency to rely so much on stats in your arguments. The fact Bernard scored at the weekend and the stats show him to be our most effective player, is now being turned against you. That we are only 2 games into the season only adds to the irony. Most of us fans judge players performance by our eyes, not figures. The figures show Everton have had 10 clean sheets in 13 games, and a major part of that is the hard work that both Bernard and Richarlison (somebody else you have been critical of recently) in supporting their full backs. Stats don't see that side of the game but our eyes do.
Giving our wingers credit for keeping clean sheets is a stretch imo but let's just give them the credit anyway. Even if they are a major part of keeping the defense solid, that can't be all they do. Same with any other amount of off the ball work. This was basically why I was critical of Bernard over the summer and it certainly hasn't changed because he managed to sneak a shot through someone's legs off of another defender and in.

I have been critical of Richarlison only in that he's been sloppy with that ball. Even though Bernard is the one who has scored this season, Richarlison is still the much bigger goal threat. But you just can't have someone give it away as much as he did against Watford.

So as far as stats showing him to be most effective let's wait and see on that. Yes he has one goal and clearly that's better than everyone else but he has 2 shots in 2 games in which he has played the whole time. So 1 per 90 minutes. Which is almost exactly what he had last year. Only world class finishers would even get 5 goals with only 30 or so shots in a season and Bernard's 1 goal on 23 shots last year suggests he isn't that. Key passes he is also right on last years pace.

The only reason I think he shouldn't be replaced by Iwobi Friday night is because Sigurdsson has been nonexistent so far this year. But as I've said multiple times I hope in two months you all can actually have a go at me because he's dominating games and not because he scores on a jammy defection and runs a lot.

Giving our wingers credit for keeping clean sheets is a stretch imo but let's just give them the credit anyway. Even if they are a major part of keeping the defense solid, that can't be all they do. Same with any other amount of off the ball work. This was basically why I was critical of Bernard over the summer and it certainly hasn't changed because he managed to sneak a shot through someone's legs off of another defender and in.

I have been critical of Richarlison only in that he's been sloppy with that ball. Even though Bernard is the one who has scored this season, Richarlison is still the much bigger goal threat. But you just can't have someone give it away as much as he did against Watford.

So as far as stats showing him to be most effective let's wait and see on that. Yes he has one goal and clearly that's better than everyone else but he has 2 shots in 2 games in which he has played the whole time. So 1 per 90 minutes. Which is almost exactly what he had last year. Only world class finishers would even get 5 goals with only 30 or so shots in a season and Bernard's 1 goal on 23 shots last year suggests he isn't that. Key passes he is also right on last years pace.

The only reason I think he shouldn't be replaced by Iwobi Friday night is because Sigurdsson has been nonexistent so far this year. But as I've said multiple times I hope in two months you all can actually have a go at me because he's dominating games and not because he scores on a jammy defection and runs a lot.
Sorry mate but it's time to add you to the list

I think he did enough to keep his spot. Its safe to say now... I think Iwobi is gunning for Siggys spot. The creativity that front line could have would be magic. Bernard, Richy, and Iwobi supplying Kean the ball in the middle.. I love where this is going. Keep the positive support for our young lads and they will reap the benifits

Mate. if you want to critique my posts I don't have a problem. But at least read them properly first. My point about stats was specifically about the irony of having them turned on the poster after just 2 games. I'm certainly not singing his praises after 1 good game and my post makes that clear.

I was echoing that point, in effect. The post wasn't aimed at you.

Even if they are a major part of keeping the defense solid, that can't be all they do. Same with any other amount of off the ball work. This was basically why I was critical of Bernard over the summer and it certainly hasn't changed because he managed to sneak a shot through someone's legs off of another defender and in.

He has 2 shots in 2 games in which he has played the whole time. So 1 per 90 minutes. Which is almost exactly what he had last year. Only world class finishers would even get 5 goals with only 30 or so shots in a season and Bernard's 1 goal on 23 shots last year suggests he isn't that. Key passes he is also right on last years pace.

Totally agree with your post, except on point 1, I'm happy with him scoring and assisting the same as he did last season if it means that we finish in the top six, as unlikely as that is.

On point 2, good statting. ;)

I'd be tempted to drop Gylfi for Iwobi and shift Bernie into a sort of floating role in the 10 in front of Gomes and Gbamin. Then him, Iwobi and Rico can swap throughout the game.

People wanted more from him and he answered on Saturday. Let’s see if he keeps it up but so far you can’t ask for more than him answering the question most supporters had over him.

I'd hate to sit next to you at a wedding.

I think it shouldn't be long before we get a look at Bernard at no.10....He would be far more effective than Siggy when teams sit back in large numbers.
Last season for me Bernard didn't look fit enough to take Siggy's place there, but i think now it's a move we should be making.

Status
Not open for further replies.