2019/20 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the defeat to Germany was down to him and him only?
No the state of mind of the whole team wasnt right. Bernard was one of the lousiest performers in lousy Brazilian team.
Oh so they should ALL pack it in? I see.

Quick, someone tell Marcelo. Yeah I KNOW he’s won about a million Champions Leagues, but @lungo reckons he’s not up to it.

Fernandinho too. Come on lad, turn in those PL winners medals. Especially you, since you got hauled off at half time.

I'm actually shocked at some of the ignorance I have read here, It's an illness/injury like any other and should be allowed to recover. If you don't rate his ability that's fine but suggesting he should just man up and crack on is disgusting.
I imagine this is a popular topic among sports psychologists, although it's possibly a bit too emotive to discuss dispassionately on an internet forum.

What you said about it being treated like a physical injury is interesting, as it wasn't too long ago that there was consternation about a club asking Danny Rose to disclose his mental health status before committing to a transfer. By that logic, was it wrong for Everton to deem Demba Ba too high-risk because of his history of knee injuries? We then run the risk of veering off into Theology, wondering if it was divine intervention keeping Ba on track to save the world from Gerrard winning the league in 2014, before the regrettable Death of God giving way to the Age of Satan (Jurgen) in 2020.

Food for thought, but probably above my pay grade.

I like Bernard he is a skillful player its just he just only shows it in flashes, he doesn't produce enough. And he lacks an element of physicality and like most of our players if he is bullied off tbe ball constantly he seems to lose his confidence. I don't think he suits this league.

I imagine this is a popular topic among sports psychologists, although it's possibly a bit too emotive to discuss dispassionately on an internet forum.

What you said about it being treated like a physical injury is interesting, as it wasn't too long ago that there was consternation about a club asking Danny Rose to disclose his mental health status before committing to a transfer. By that logic, was it wrong for Everton to deem Demba Ba too high-risk because of his history of knee injuries? We then run the risk of veering off into Theology, wondering if it was divine intervention keeping Ba on track to save the world from Gerrard winning the league in 2014, before the regrettable Death of God giving way to the Age of Satan (Jurgen) in 2020.

Food for thought, but probably above my pay grade.
Interesting that tbf and not something I'd really thought of.

Say we don't sign X player because he fails a medical with dodgy knees - Totally acceptable to not want to take the risk on him.

We're looking to sign a player that has a history of mental health issues that have affected performances on the pitch - I wouldn't want them in the same way I wouldn't want someone with knees made out of tissue paper.

Fully expecting some flack for that but IMO, if a player has a recurring issue, mental or physical, that impacts their game in a negative way then I'd sooner avoid them.

Yep mental health issues and show business is a recipe for disaster! I can give you hundreds of examples. So its not for him. He should retire. Surely he has enough money to do that. He was member of the Brazilian team humiliated at home by Germany. That was a good example, if you state of mind is not right, stay away from pro football!

I don't think posting on a forum is for you mate.

I like Bernard, I hope we keep him. He's got a bit of skill on the ball we lack throughout the rest of the team and would give him a full season under Carlo to see what he can do

Not great numbers I agree. But we're not going to be exactly flush with transfer money and I'm just going based on what I've seen. I like him as a player and think he has a place, so he's low priority for me
What have you seen that nobody else has?

Few goals, few assists, often anonymous, no real pace, weak, easily dispossessed, rated less than a kid by Carlo (Gordon) despite being in the prime age of a footballers career.

Prob off topic a bit but related to the current convo, but if confidence issues is permitted to be discussed, how is that not related to mental health issues? I think they're extremely close if not part of the same thing

If a player can't play well due to lack of mental fortitude/can't adjust to a strategy or manager, it's not wrong to move on. It could be a goodness of fit issue. We should obviously try to help their confidence/mental health, but if you can't hack it in this market, then it's in best interest to leave

Personally I liked what he's shown before, but he's shown less under Carlo who underutilized him, so that really could be argued to be a managerial issue/preference

Status
Not open for further replies.