2019/20 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Panic attacks are terrible, I know from first hand experience. Good luck to him.
Didn’t realise what one was until I went up the then Sears Tower in Chicago. Never had a problem with heights till then. I was frozen, shaking all over and my heart was pounding. Really shook me up. It was interesting only a few years ago Billy Connolly did a programme on itv travelling round the states. He was in the same building and believe it or not, I started getting sweaty palms, increased heart rate again watching it. Obviously I was still suffering the physiological affects all those years later. I really hope Bernard with his support doesn’t experience similar.

I wonder if mental health is something thats a bit taboo in football?

Weird how we have 3 players who have been open about mental health issues (Bernard, Gomes, Keane) yet you dont see it reported at other clubs anywhere near as much.

Weird how we have 3 players who have been open about mental health issues (Bernard, Gomes, Keane) yet you dont see it reported at other clubs anywhere near as much.

I think its also a male thing mate, as in "it's wrong if I say somethings wrong because people might think I'm being weak".

Elite players who play at the top level have unbelievable mental strength but it doesn't make them invincible from it. Great to see 3 Everton players now openly talk about it and I'm sure in turn that will have a positive effect on others, whether that be fans or players.

...Aaron Lennon not too long ago too. It shows that money and fame is no barrier to mental health.

Panic attacks are terrible, I know from first hand experience. Good luck to him.
Yep, not a great time at all and all the respect in the world for him coming out and talking about it. Hopefully in time this won't be such an uncommon thing for people to do.

I think its a bit of an unspoken issue throughout society but well done to the club if they are so supportive that staff with these issues feel secure enough to go public.

I think its also a male thing mate, as in "it's wrong if I say somethings wrong because people might think I'm being weak".

Elite players who play at the top level have unbelievable mental strength but it doesn't make them invincible from it. Great to see 3 Everton players now openly talk about it and I'm sure in turn that will have a positive effect on others, whether that be fans or players.
This is very true, and if you read the'Depression' thread started several years ago, many fans open up to these problems. But, fans can discuss this in anonymity, whereas a high profile footballer knows it will be headline news and could open up for psychological 'attack' from opposing player and fans.
Bernard, like the others, have to be admired for their bravery as any illness that cannot be seen will often be open to ridicule by the ignorant and uncaring.

Nice to see more players speaking out about mental illness. It's as much an illness as any other and can affect anyone indiscriminately

Was a big fan last season after Christmas. Quickly losing faith unfortunately. Expected so much more from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.