2019/20 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willian is planets away from Bernard in terms of ability to move the ball upfield though. He's one of the best in the world at dribbling from deep into attack.

Bernard doesn't have to score to be valuable. But he does have to have some of that in his game because unlike Willian in the past he isn't getting the ball forward for guys like Hazard, Costa and Fabregas to take care of the rest. But again under Carlo, Bernard has finally begun to show that he can in fact get the job done at times when the attacking set up isn't a complete disaster.

Part of missing chances is getting on the end of chances. At some point they have to go in but as we've seen with Dom that often happens for most players. Injury permitting I think Walcott will score a few more the rest of the way and people will hopefully ease up on criticizing him weekly.
You’re making my point though. Our buildup has always been very good when Bernard has been in the side to partner Digne. Where we struggled immensely was in the final 3rd which you made my point for me. Those players you mentioned are light years away from what Bernard has worked with. And of course Willian isn’t forced to do as much work on the defensive side of the ball while he played for a top Chelsea side.

And no, I am not comparing their talents. But you have to afford Bernard that luxury if you are going to hand it to Willian.

Oh we know all about that you stat humping junkie
It isn't even about that. I just don't see the point in all the skills and crap when it doesn't do anything to help your team win a match. And don't feel the need to lecture me on how it draws defenders in or opens space or whatever. On the balance it isn't helpful.

You’re making my point though. Our buildup has always been very good when Bernard has been in the side to partner Digne. Where we struggled immensely was in the final 3rd which you made my point for me. Those players you mentioned are light years away from what Bernard has worked with. And of course Willian isn’t forced to do as much work on the defensive side of the ball while he played for a top Chelsea side.

And no, I am not comparing their talents. But you have to afford Bernard that luxury if you are going to hand it to Willian.
I would, if Bernard were in Willian's class at what Willian is good at. But he isn't so he has to have other stuff.

No, on the balance that Bernard’s talents aren’t helpful to the team like you said.
Oh that was a general point. Bernard does things that are useful, but players like him tend to be rated higher than players like DCL because they do pretty stuff. Or even Richarlison. If it wasn't for his work rate I'm sure people would take more shots at him. Because he's the ultimate in it doesn't always look the prettiest but it often gets the job done.

They've both been vastly improved since Carlo took over and were both struggling beforehand. The roles aren't really different imo, just the approaches to doing it are. Both have to help move the ball up the field, hold some level of width, create chances and score goals.

There's an interesting discrepancy in how much recognition each gets though. I think it basically boils down to Evertonians not enjoying nice things and taking to one player because he's a "smart signing" while the other cost money and wasn't instantly world class.
On a side note
It’s a pitch not a field

If you can't see a difference in Modric's role and what Bernard is being asked to do then, to steal a phrase tossed around in this thread all the time, football isn't for you.

The quote I was responding to claimed, in a roundabout way, that you couldn't be a good attack minded footballer without goals or assists. I merely pointed out that one of the best players in the world doesn't score many or assist many.

Status
Not open for further replies.