2018/19 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or they identify stats that can quantify or measure the production of a player in a particular tactic/ role. Assists are 100% reliant on an outcome from someone else and isn't frequent enough to be very useful. It doesn't tell you a lot. But most people with a brain know this.
Stats are all well and good, but, if you have grown up playing and watching football from a small child you just get an instinct, you can just tell when you are watching a good player. As your man in the States said “there are lies, damned lies and statistics.”
As for the stat of assists, if you have Harry Kane playing in front of you he will convert a lot of the chances you make for him. If, on the other hand, you have DCL then, perhaps, your assists will not look as impressive.

i like him, defo a bit overrated by our fans but that's just the nature of football fans getting carried away as soon as someone plays decently for half a season.

After 3 years of koeman and Allardyce and Martinez final 2 seasons, watching someone who can carry a ball effectively is great. I don't think he's over rated, he hadn't played for 5 months, no pre season, i'm just excited to see what he can do this year now he's adjusted to the league. Anyone who stops us getting cricked necks from watching space ball is ok by me.

There are a lot of other stats that arent plain assists that show Bernard to be ineffective creatively last season. But that was last year and I hope that another season with the team and a better striker will see that change. Because he does have a lot of other useful parts to his game but ultimately attackers have to produce in the final third.
Show them

Stats are all well and good, but, if you have grown up playing and watching football from a small child you just get an instinct, you can just tell when you are watching a good player. As your man in the States said “there are lies, damned lies and statistics.”
As for the stat of assists, if you have Harry Kane playing in front of you he will convert a lot of the chances you make for him. If, on the other hand, you have DCL then, perhaps, your assists will not look as impressive.
Ozil has considerably better stats than Iniesta. One is one of the greatest midfielders of his generation and the other has failed to set the the league alight and has become a bit of a laughing stock. As you say it’s about what you can actually see in front of you and not a bunch of numbers

Obviously would love to see him add goals to his game, but if we can add a striker & Silva can maintain confidence levels shown in the closing games, then this fella can be really key.

His 1st touch & scurrying runs can take out 3 players in seconds.

If you have complaints about Bernard no footballer will please you, He is goals away from being a near perfect footballer.

If we had City’s midfield you’d get huge parts of our fan base unhappy with them. They can’t move past the image of Fellaini as the only type of midfielder who is good, some massive lumbering grock who garners media attention and scores goals that end up on motd with Danny Murphy giving us a pat on the head for them. It was the same with Pienaar, he made our whole game tick yet barely got any credit until he left and or game fell apart.

Bernard improves our football immeasurably. Take him out the team and the performances of Digne Siggurdson and Gomes would drop significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.