2018/19 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
....not for me. The risk of injury and the constant travel to mid-week games in South America take its toll. In Everton’s interest, I prefer he’s not called up.

TRue. His last international appearance was the infamous 7-0 defeat...a few of that team have not played for Brazil since then. I like our players getting international call ups, it helps our image world wide, but in the South Americans case, I'm 50/50. We are showing signs of having a system and identity, and about 8 of the 'first team' will be the basis of our team next season. Its going to be a big summer, and a big season next season.

....not for me. The risk of injury and the constant travel to mid-week games in South America take its toll. In Everton’s interest, I prefer he’s not called up.

This always has to be balanced against the marketing that could be done for Everton if he does though. To be seen as a club that you can join, to then get into your national team makes an enormous difference. We've seen it with Richarlinson, Keane, Digne & Zouma already.

This always has to be balanced against the marketing that could be done for Everton if he does though. To be seen as a club that you can join, to then get into your national team makes an enormous difference. We've seen it with Richarlinson, Keane, Digne & Zouma already.

....good point, but it is a balance. Coleman, McCarthy and Migne recent examples of lengthy injuries received on international duty. Ultimately, our profile will truly be raised when our team is successful and competitive on the pitch.

That's the conundrum you have with International football Eggs. You don't want your players (especially if their South American) to risk injury and the disruption of long travel, but you want them to be playing well enough for us that they'll be recognised by their country.

Also I just want to state on record.

I love Bernard

I dont think I've ever wanted a player to do well more than him. Has pace, intelligence, quality. Needs more options around him sometimes but slowly we are getting better at that.
One of my favourite none Everton players of the premier era was Juninho. Bernard very much reminds me of him. I too want him to be a huge success for us and I think we'll see him flourish next season. Think his partnership with Digne could become as important to us as Baines/Peinaar.

This guy is absolutely quality. Watch him destroy defenders next season on a weekly basis. Would love to see Lookman do the same on the other side. Where does this leave Walcott?

Status
Not open for further replies.