2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember the goal at QPR this season in the League Cup when Charlie Austin nudged
him aside to head a goal?

Another bloke who looks like Tarzan and tackles like Jane. Holgate is another. We had two centre halves
against Burnley who can't head a ball.

It looked like a good buy at the time but like all EFC buys for the last 6 years it was crap.

Does anyone remember the goal at QPR this season in the League Cup when Charlie Austin nudged
him aside to head a goal?

Another bloke who looks like Tarzan and tackles like Jane. Holgate is another. We had two centre halves
against Burnley who can't head a ball.

It looked like a good buy at the time but like all EFC buys for the last 6 years it was crap.
He's had his bad moments for sure but I definitely have him in my lineup every week over Holgate who has been shocking....

I’d still take 4 of him back there than the usual suspects
No mate, I'm all in favour of hm playing, but, he is weak positionally, poor in the air and we all saw how costly his first touch can be for Burnley's Winner. At the moment he is a first choice player all day, but, once we manage to sort out the centre back problem, if we ever do, he will become a good utility player. He's neither good enough in the air to be a very good centre back nor good enough on the ball to be a very good full back.

Well to be fair we didn't buy him from the championship, like Doucoure we bought him off a relegated side that was completely deficient at the things he was supposedly good at.

There really is plenty of talent in the championship but you've got to actually scout it. Our player evaluation is just so, so bad that it really isn't surprising we can't make that strategy work either.
Yeah but that’s just a technicality really isn’t it. He fits the mould that people talk about, which is what I was getting at. The second part i agree with and that’s the reason I just disagree with the way people put it across; there’s plenty of talent everywhere, you just have to identify it. There’s nothing wrong with buying players that bigger clubs don’t want, or with buying from minor European leagues, or from other PL clubs or any other option, you just have to do it better than we have.

We lack leaders, we have footballers, good ones but lack leaders in the team who will drive themselves and their teammates forward.

I think the biggest indictment of our players is that if we had a Roy Keane in our team we could be a top six side or pushing for that as we were last year.

Too many seem spineless.

There was a moment in the Burnley game where he strode out at pace into and through midfield and he looked at home doing it. Unlike the absolutely awful Holgate.

Both a pretty crap in defence, so I’d swap them around if we ever need to persist with Holgate in the team in midfield.

Not a central defender. Not good enough in the air and positionally poor. No idea what his best position is though. He's not great on the ball either... Maybe box to box midfielder? Or marauding (i.e. barely in control) full back, a bit like Dumfries

No mate, I'm all in favour of hm playing, but, he is weak positionally, poor in the air and we all saw how costly his first touch can be for Burnley's Winner. At the moment he is a first choice player all day, but, once we manage to sort out the centre back problem, if we ever do, he will become a good utility player. He's neither good enough in the air to be a very good centre back nor good enough on the ball to be a very good full back.

He is a player that I could only see prospering in a back 3

Would sell 100% in the summer while we can still get some money for him, might not be what we paid for him but could still get a decent fee. Reinvest in someone who can actually play centre back. He’s not a centre back and never will be, is serviceable as an emergency fullback. That’s not worth keeping if we can get money and put it towards a solid centre back. Same goes for holgate.

The only player that has the pace to catch any of the united forwards + bail Keane and Coleman out.

Funny how no one seems to consider it's a badly ran club letting down a raw talent, rather than the other way around...

FWIW I'd have Ben Godfrey as a DM where he started his career, or at full back as required.

This Everton side offers nothing but problems for a defender learning their trade at the top level.

Status
Not open for further replies.