2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even when he was supposedly being great i didnt see it. Errors galore. He cant do the basics of defending. He's not technically that good. On his day he's a pacy athlete.
He looked good because he was committed, strong and quick.

However, the only reason he was having to catch and then put crunching tackles in was because his defensive positioning is very poor.

Don't get me started on his set-piece defending. I appreciate it wasn't "his man" last night, but as the ball comes in he moved backwards and left from his starting position, putting himself behind the gaggle of players. ATTACK THE BALL FFS.

Should never play until his long covid is over.

Delph - Mina - Holgate - Coleman is the way to go till Digne comes back

In that case, who else plays? Circumstances mean that even if we wanted to let him rest and regenerate, there’s currently little flexibility in our paper thin squad.

We’ve got to be careful not to attribute this solely to COVID - it may not be the case at all - yet he himself has said he hasn’t felt like he’s in his own body.

Over compensating for your body not performing and being jaded (mental and physical fatigue) will lead to poor decision making, but right now what other options are there?
I agree mate we a short of numbers, were just in a mess in minute

Despite not having to run much I noticed he had a sweat on after just 5mins so he's clearly not right. If he's worried about his health and fitness then no wonder his actual play is bad too.

Feel sorry for him and hope he gets a chance to recover from covid properly (assuming thats what the issue is) and he gets back to his previous fitness and form.

I don't think his form is based on Covid I think it based on he has played all across the back four while not 100% and his confidence is 0.

Last night it's a bad pass back but if you look at his positioning, he actually could've went forward but chose to go backwards which is something he never did last season.

He isn't a left back clearly but you can see he is shot to pieces.

He needs managing better clearly and in order for him to develop we have to stop swapping him all around the pitch. We did this with Holgate and look how that turned out.

He was drenched after seven minutes last night. Covid is obviously a mitigating factor and he is probably exhausted.

His attitude since joining us has been superb and the fact he was one of our stronger performers last night in the second half shows the character of the man.

His decision making is off and he's making mistakes. He looks like he needs a month off, proper recovery and the fact we can't afford him that is symptomatic of the mess we're in.

He doesn't get a free ride but I admire him for trying his best. He wasn't helped by having Iwobi in front of him last night.

He was drenched after seven minutes last night. Covid is obviously a mitigating factor and he is probably exhausted.

His attitude since joining us has been superb and the fact he was one of our stronger performers last night in the second half shows the character of the man.

His decision making is off and he's making mistakes. He looks like he needs a month off, proper recovery and the fact we can't afford him that is symptomatic of the mess we're in.

He doesn't get a free ride but I admire him for trying his best. He wasn't helped by having Iwobi in front of him last night.
Any mitigation depends on the key question: did he refuse an available vaccine before coming down with COVID? He has my sympathy if he took the vaccine and got the virus. There is no mitigation if he refused it and got sick. Many footballers have been a disgrace during this pandemic, given the recent vaccination statistics in the Premier League. Besides societal obligations and role model realities, he had a duty to his team-mates and colleagues to do all he could to protect himself and them. I very much hope he did and he deserves every sympathy if he has been unlucky. We should be relieved the vaccination would have helped reduce the impact of the infection. The bit I don't get, though, is that if he was vaccinated and came down with this thing, it would surely have emerged that he had been jabbed. There is nothing to hide in such a case. Such a revelation would garner respect and sympathy.

Came here to post at least he showed some character to try and get us back in it second half.

A few last season were making out he's the finished article (one poster properly got a bit weird because I said he's inexperienced). Well, he's not and he's definitely having a bad second season.

Not helpful for us right now, but long term its how he reacts and learns that'll determine if he's cut out for this level.

Any mitigation depends on the key question: did he refuse an available vaccine before coming down with COVID? He has my sympathy if he took the vaccine and got the virus. There is no mitigation if he refused it and got sick. Many footballers have been a disgrace during this pandemic, given the recent vaccination statistics in the Premier League. Besides societal obligations and role model realities, he had a duty to his team-mates and colleagues to do all he could to protect himself and them. I very much hope he did and he deserves every sympathy if he has been unlucky. We should be relieved the vaccination would have helped reduce the impact of the infection. The bit I don't get, though, is that if he was vaccinated and came down with this thing, it would surely have emerged that he had been jabbed. There is nothing to hide in such a case. Such a revelation would garner respect and sympathy.

I think your looking to much into it.

A few last season were making out he's the finished article (one poster properly got a bit weird because I said he's inexperienced). Well, he's not and he's definitely having a bad second season.

Not helpful for us right now, but long term its how he reacts and learns that'll determine if he's cut out for this level.
Yep this all over.
it happens to all young players but how long for and how he reacts is what will be key.

Status
Not open for further replies.