Barry Glendenning's comments in the Guardian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get the remainder of the brain transplant sorted first mate
First BAWKer bite.
kenwright.jpg

I commented a couple of weeks ago about the football weekly podcast. It was just after the Southampton game and one of the journos said soemthing about the protest. Glendenning said that, while it seemed to him that Kenwright was good for Everton, he didn't really know enough about the situation to judge.
Funny that he can be so measured speaking and then rush in headlong when writing. Normally, it's the other way round with most people.
Perhaps he just thinks plane protests are stupid - tbh quite a lot on here have made similar comments when United and Liverpool has flown banners.

His comments about the game itself on Football weekly I though were fair (~28mins in) including a reference to our very young backline and praising Barkley's performance

http://www.theguardian.com/football...ll-weekly-podcast-diego-costa-chelsea-arsenal

Perhaps he just thinks plane protests are stupid - tbh quite a lot on here have made similar comments when United and Liverpool has flown banners.

His comments about the game itself on Football weekly I though were fair (~28mins in) including a reference to our very young backline and praising Barkley's performance

http://www.theguardian.com/football...ll-weekly-podcast-diego-costa-chelsea-arsenal

I'm pretty sure his views on fan protests are that the only ones that count are where you stop giving the owners money - I think he has talked about plane banners and other at the game type actions quite often on football weekly.

I'm pretty sure his views on fan protests are that the only ones that count are where you stop giving the owners money - I think he has talked about plane banners and other at the game type actions quite often on football weekly.
We've apparently not been giving the owners money for about 15 years if you have a look at our commercial turnover.

I have no idea who this guy is but I have to agree about fan protests. No owner in any sport is going to be arsed unless people stop showing up to games and they lose money.

me hating daily mail readers isn't a sweeping generalisation though is it.
Sorry, but it kind of is.

I'm not the Daily Mail's biggest fan by any stretch, but then I'm not about to say I hate daily mail readers on that basis.

Here's an unbiased nugget of information about the Mail you may not have hitherto been aware of (you'll have to trust me on this). It was the Daily Mail that refused to cow to the pressure of the establishment when the first signs of institutional racism were unearthed following the Stephen Lawrence murder in the mid 90s. Virtually every other paper toe'd the line.

Without its investigation into the Met's links to those involved, and the blasé attitude to the investigation that turned out to be linked to a systemic failure to give murders of black Londoners the same priority of those of white Londoners, arguably the UK would be some years behind where it is now as one of the most progressive, functionally diverse societies on the planet. The Stephen Lawrence murder is still regarded as a watershed moment for race relations in this country. Whilst the circumstances of what brought this sea change about are tragic and certainly not to be celebrated, the development in social conscience that it catalysed certainly is something to celebrate.

The Daily Mail was far from being (and, if our free press continues to work as it should, never will be) above criticism, but to regard it - and by extension its readership - as little more than an ill-informed, nasty-minded loon bin or whatever, is to throw the baby out with the bathwater good style.

Latest example of terrible Everton-related journalism:

"We can only hope that Barkley’s maturity rubs off on the Everton supporters who spend so much time admiring protest banners that they’ve paid to trail across the sky that they fail to appreciate the wealth of young talent representing their club on the ground. Barry Glendenning"

Needless and baseless sly dig IMO

I'm not sure what's wrong with this statement. This seems to be a dig at the people who spent massive amounts of money flying those silly banners. I for one am actually embarrassed an an Everton supporter when I see those banners. They don't represent me or, I suspect, the vast majority of Everton supporters. Yes, I want someone else to buy Everton and put obscene amounts of money into the club so we can compete at the top again. No, I don't think that's ever going to happen. For some reason many supporters seem to think that a ton of money will just fall from the sky if Everton are sold.

I just don't know why people can't be objective and recognize that the board have done both good things and bad things for the club. I don't hate them or love them. A new group of owners might have better ideas but they'll still be constricted by our limited turnover (compared to the Sky-6 clubs). A new group of owners could also end up running the club into the ground just as easily. To the "Kenwright Out" crowd, I say, be careful what you wish for and spend your hard-earned money on better things than silly banners.

Cause we're ashamed of him mate. The English can have him but in fairness don't think they want him after his stint on MOTD a few years ago. He's a complete bell if the truth be told. I really do despise him more than any media figure in the world of football.

Even more .than those loveable Irish kopites Alan Green and John Aldridge....not possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.