Baffling substitutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we really bringing up Moyes subs from 2006 here?

Honestly, when Moyes is winning the CL at Spurs and we are sitting in League One, with the dream ticket of Owen Coyle and Roberto Martinez playing 4 Strikers, I hope I can be smug, but I wont be.

Are we really bringing up Moyes subs from 2006 here?

Honestly, when Moyes is winning the CL at Spurs and we are sitting in League One, with the dream ticket of Owen Coyle and Roberto Martinez playing 4 Strikers, I hope I can be smug, but I wont be.
more chance matt damon buying ye a bevi goat

In my mind it was something s couple of years after that but you could be right mate. Was it in early January?
There was one game against Spuds when Fernandes was playing and he took him off and put a defender on. Might have been Naysmith. Might have been Valente. Might have been Me mar. It defo got Moist some stick from the faithful.

There was one game against Spuds when Fernandes was playing and he took him off and put a defender on. Might have been Naysmith. Might have been Valente. Might have been Me mar. It defo got Moist some stick from the faithful.
he had james vaughan stripped ready to come on ,then changed his mind brought hibbert on for fernandes ,jenas scored in the last min he then brought vaughan on for naysmith and got booed we lost 2 .1

Are we really bringing up Moyes subs from 2006

That was kind of the idea of the thread. I was interested to see if anyone remembered other managers making similarly baffling subs, because Moyes has, in some people's opinions, developed a bit of reputation for it. I suspect it's probably because it's fresh in the memory and he probably is no better or worse in this regard than most other managers.

he had james vaughan stripped ready to come on ,then changed his mind brought hibbert on for fernandes ,jenas scored in the last min he then brought vaughan on for naysmith and got booed we lost 2 .1
And there we have it again ladies and Gentlemen, proof positive that 99% of football fans don't actually know what they're looking at. Goodison went ape-**** that night when a depleted Everton side almost took a draw from a Spurs side who were top of the form table. Having lost our major source of goals (AJ) to injury we had a cobbled together attack of Beattie and Anichebe. Spurs swamped us first half with Lennon running riot and Keane and Berbatov taking it in turns to drop back into a 5 man midfield, with our left flank being particularly vulnerable. Half time came and we were lucky to go in 1-0 down. Moyes changed to 4-5-1 for the start of the second period, with Naysmith coming on for Big Vic and playing left midfield. He stopped Lennon almost immediately and we gradually came back into the game, culminating in Arteta's equaliser. We pushed for a winner and the crowd got very excited as we started to dominate. However, Fernandes began to tire at about 75 minutes (he still wasn't match fit) and Spurs started to come back into the game. Jol brought on Malbranque with fresh legs, and, if you had a clue, you could see it was only a matter of time until they scored. Moyes countered by bringing Hibbert on for Fernandes and moving Neville into midfield to add some bight and try to scrape the point. Unfortunately we couldn't quite manage it, as Jenas put a peach of a drive into the top left hand corner at the Park End. Goodison erupted in Boos with all the football genius's complaining that we hadn't gone for the win. The truth was that once Fernandes legs had gone, (and there was certainly no-one on the bench that could do his job) a win was never possible and a draw was the most we could hope for. We almost got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.