Baffling substitutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scratchnsurf

Player Valuation: £40m
Apologies if this has been done before. I commented on the Royston thread that I was surprised that Pienaar was taken off yesterday, given how well he keeps the ball. Obviously, not the most surprising decision I've ever seen (or even in the past ten days, thinking about it) but baffling substitutions have become something associated with Moyes. So, I pose to you (that's to you Chico, not for you - although for the right price.....) the following question: what is the most baffling substitution you have seen made by an Everton manager ?

I wasn't baffled by pienaar's removal, just surprised. Neville for Cahill against the league's bottom team however, a true wtf moment. As for scrapping the thread, I believe taking part is optional.

Apologies if this has been done before. I commented on the Royston thread that I was surprised that Pienaar was taken off yesterday, given how well he keeps the ball. Obviously, not the most surprising decision I've ever seen (or even in the past ten days, thinking about it) but baffling substitutions have become something associated with Moyes. So, I pose to you (that's to you Chico, not for you - although for the right price.....) the following question: what is the most baffling substitution you have seen made by an Everton manager ?

Pienaar hasn't had massive amounts of football lately, so he was tired. He ran his arse off yesterday.

Plus, it gave him a chance to receive a standing ovation from Goodison on his return.

Completely sensible sub.

Neville for Cahill was one of the worst this season, and there was one against QPR when he brought Fellaini on I think and took a striker off when chasing the game - can't remember exactly, trying to erase it from my mind it was that bad.

Moyes said he had a tight hamstring mate. But Moyes is prone to ridiculous subs, eg Distin ON Saha OFF when we're chasing the game, Cahill OFF Neville ON etc.

Just too make myself completely clear, I wasn't baffled by yesterday's Pienaar substitution, just surprised at the time. With the benefit of the hamstring info, it now makes sense. This incident was just what set me thinking about the most baffling substitution I had seen, the fact that Moyes now kind of has a reputation for them and perhaps that those with longer memories than me can recall other managers making similarly strange substitutions. However, should anyone feel the need to explain (again) why yesterday's substitution of Pienaar was perfectly sensible, then I'm happy to have provided the platform for you to do so, but you've missed the point.

avb did a good one with mata yesterday, wenger did it with arshavin for oxide-chambermaid last week, all managers are sh1t for ffs!

Can't say Moyes has a rep 4 it. He's done great subs as well. Ani an Vellios this season both scored when put on

I would love to see you lot as managers- then we could see what you do rather than saying hours later what you would have done. Managers make tactical decisions - some work, some dont - but after the game the fans would have never done the ones that didnt work!

I would love to see you lot as managers- then we could see what you do rather than saying hours later what you would have done. Managers make tactical decisions - some work, some dont - but after the game the fans would have never done the ones that didnt work!

Although I see what you're saying, armchair fans and all that, I don't believe there's any other manager in the prem that would've made the Distin for Saha and Neville for Cahill changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.