2022/23 Asmir Begovic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did and I notice Pickford punching the ball away several times in a game. I'm more inclined to accept it from a keeper who is not a giant. Two of those punches, were a comfortable catch to a keeper of his stature, plus,there were several others when he stayed rooted to his goal line when the ball was obviously in the keepers area.

Don't get me wrong, there is a plus and a minus for a big keeper and a small keeper. The plusses for a smaller keeper should be ability and speed getting down, which Pickford has in spades. The plusses for a giant keeper like Begovic should be that he comes for and wins, most of the crosses within his 6 yard box. He doesn't, not even close, in fact, he is not even as good as Pickford on crosses. This would be ok if he was as agile as Pickford or as good as getting down quickly to shots/deflections coming in low,he isn't..

I'm not saying he not fit for purpose, he is, if that purpose is a stopgap for when the first choice is injured, but, as I said in my original post, watching Begovic play is a good reminder of how good Pickford is. He's by no means the best keeper in the league, but, he is far closer to bing a top 6keeper than we are to being a top 6 team.
Quality post this and spot on, but like I've said, this fella isn't good enough to provide extended cover for a long term pickford injury god forbid, I genuinely can't describe my view on him explicitly or specifically other than saying vaguely, he's just at the very, very, end of his professional career

1664807535107.png

Iconic image lol

Begovic played 10 games for us last two seasons. We can't just have any ol' backup keeper in the squad. It can send you down.

Look at Leicester having to swap Danny Ward (crap) for Iversen (pretty crap). Leeds dropped Meslier for Robles (crap). Saints had to drop their keep and had McCarthy as backup (very crap).

We won't get a 1st choice as backup but Begovic was as good as one for us. You need someone you can rely on.

Status
Not open for further replies.