Transfer Rumour Ashley Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t realise that he played right back for the last 10 games for a very good Villa side last season, starting all but one of them.

I couldn’t bare to watch Villa do well so I didn’t even notice!

He could end up being a very good versatile signing - he’s probably our best set piece taker too.

It’s because he’s 38 years old. At any moment his legs could disintegrate overnight and he’ll be next to useless, it happened with Distin at a similar age. One season he played almost every game when we finished 5th and then 3 games into the next season he was completely done and hardly played again. We really are hoping on a wing and a prayer that we can get one more full season out of him at the level he was last season, but there’s no guarantee of that whatsoever at such a big age. It’s not like he’s 33 or something. 38 is no joke for a Premier League footballer.
This, look at Townsend, albeit younger than Ashley, done alright up till March, scoring a few then got that injury in the Cup and wasn’t seen again until the U21s last game of last season

His age is also irrelevant if he has the stamina and legs to play PL football for 90 mins. If he does, he improves the team as he has the quality.

If he doesn't, we will have a ready made sub for chasing games in the last 30 minutes.

This, look at Townsend, albeit younger than Ashley, done alright up till March, scoring a few then got that injury in the Cup and wasn’t seen again until the U21s last game of last season

Yeah, although at Young’s age it wouldn’t even take a bad injury for him to be finished. He could just wake up one day and no longer be able to play Premier League football.

I really don’t think people should be discarding the age thing because of what he did last season. At some point he’s not going to be able to play football anymore, and with every week that goes by that day gets ever closer. If we can get one full season out of him we’ll have done very well and should shake his hand and say thanks but bye.

His age is also irrelevant if he has the stamina and legs to play PL football for 90 mins. If he does, he improves the team as he has the quality.

If he doesn't, we will have a ready made sub for chasing games in the last 30 minutes.

His age isn’t irrelevant at all because a season is 38 games long, not 90 minutes long. It’s physically impossible for him to be able to go on forever. Him playing a lot last season has nothing to do with it, Distin was the example I used above, he played 33 games in 2013/14 and then the next season was binned off after about 4 games because his legs had gone. It can happen in a split second with players of his age. It is an issue that we need to at least be aware of.

Yeah, although at Young’s age it wouldn’t even take a bad injury for him to be finished. He could just wake up one day and no longer be able to play Premier League football.

I really don’t think people should be discarding the age thing because of what he did last season. At some point he’s not going to be able to play football anymore, and with every week that goes by that day gets ever closer. If we can get one full season out of him we’ll have done very well and should shake his hand and say thanks but bye.
I’m with you on that mate, I hope he does smash it for us, and being the pro he is he’ll do all he can to prove that, but can’t help but think we’ll get a couple of months of him playing well and it’ll be straight back to Godfrey as back up while Young’s blowing chunks in training

This signing shows the ability, or lack of, our board and DOF to have funds available and look for more suitable signings. I will be surprised if we do better this summer, and that's not a compliment to Young. The player himself will give 100 and offer a couple of positions to cover at least. I hope he goes on to play well for us this season.

This signing on its own merits - however dubious - could have been palatable had it been made by a brand new regime. But it's brought to you by the very same people who brought the club to its knees.

We know it's happening because we are skint. But when the people who skint us are, effectively, making that justification, it's impossible to swallow on its own merits.

I’m with you on that mate, I hope he does smash it for us, and being the pro he is he’ll do all he can to prove that, but can’t help but think we’ll get a couple of months of him playing well and it’ll be straight back to Godfrey as back up while Young’s blowing chunks in training

He’s not a bad footballer or anything, clearly not, my reservations about this signing are simply down to his age and that’s it. People keep using Paul Power, Barry, Gana etc but it’s completely different, they were 33 when they signed. The risk of them becoming finished overnight was nowhere near as high as it is for a 38 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.