2017/18 Ashley Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keane and Jagielka are well in front of him. His physique is awful. Completely let himself go over the summer. Should be fined for it.

Spot on. People might say it's an unrealistic expectation that a player doesn't gorge himself on Five Guys in the post season and that it's up there with bemoaning that our good old nurses and soldiers don't get paid as much as footballers, but come on man. Relaxing on your diet and training is one thing, but he's just gone too far. At 32 as well you're never going to recover your physique and fitness back as quickly as you did in your 20's. The minute we signed Keane he should have put down the burger and stepped on the treadmill if he wanted to keep himself in proper contention. If we sign another defender delegate him to caribou cup duty.

Spot on. People might say it's an unrealistic expectation that a player doesn't gorge himself on Five Guys in the post season and that it's up there with bemoaning that our good old nurses and soldiers don't get paid as much as footballers, but come on man. Relaxing on your diet and training is one thing, but he's just gone too far. At 32 as well you're never going to recover your physique and fitness back as quickly as you did in your 20's. The minute we signed Keane he should have put down the burger and stepped on the treadmill if he wanted to keep himself in proper contention. If we sign another defender delegate him to caribou cup duty.

To put it simply.

We just signed a £30 million defender who looks solid as a rock in Michael Keane. Jagielka has upped his game considerably of late defensively looks solid.

I was looking at him yesterday and thinking he's looking nowhere near in shape he was at Swansea or for the Wales team in the Euros.

Sometimes players get a big move and then get lazy.

I'd be reading him the riot act if I was Ronko and he'd be doing extra training and extra gym work to get him back in proper shape.

The season's started but he's looking like he's barely begun.

He looks way off the mark.
Really hope they bring another CB in. I'm not convinced on Jagielka anymore either sadly, he's been a true servant for us, but should be cover only now I'm afraid

Was he injured or just subbed by Koeman Saturday? Jags centre back all season isn't ideal, we need that new defender

Players are weighed and fitness tested on their summer return. If he was overweight and/or unfit he'd have been fined and not selected.

He's obviously not overweight or unfit.

Players are weighed and fitness tested on their summer return. If he was overweight and/or unfit he'd have been fined and not selected.

He's obviously not overweight or unfit.

From the language I used in my post, I'm not being 100% serious. And I accept that if he was judged unfit now, then Koeman wouldn't have selected him, that's common sense. However stating players are tested upon there return doesn't really matter, provided that players come up to scratch during the preseason. The issue with this is twofold for me- firstly due to Europa league our season officially started early and secondly for a player approaching 33, the ability to regain optimum fitness levels is much harder.

Think about how impressed everyone has been with all the preseason talk of Rooney apparently living on a treadmill since the end of the last season. That's the level of dedication you need at that age. It's not just me saying this- this thread is filled with people highlighting what seems like a lack of fitness. Can everybody be wrong? Perhaps it's just a player reaching the twilight of their career, but for me he looks like someone who's career peaked with euro 2016. I personally haven't seen him perform as well as he did and look as good as he did during that tournament for us. Just my opinion.

To be fair to him though this time last year Koeman was bemoaning the fitness regime and standards of our players under the previous manager. From the weekend I wouldn't say we were much improved from this time last year on that front. Some players looked incredibly goosed at the weekend.

From the language I used in my post, I'm not being 100% serious. And I accept that if he was judged unfit now, then Koeman wouldn't have selected him, that's common sense. However stating players are tested upon there return doesn't really matter, provided that players come up to scratch during the preseason. The issue with this is twofold for me- firstly due to Europa league our season officially started early and secondly for a player approaching 33, the ability to regain optimum fitness levels is much harder.

Think about how impressed everyone has been with all the preseason talk of Rooney apparently living on a treadmill since the end of the last season. That's the level of dedication you need at that age. It's not just me saying this- this thread is filled with people highlighting what seems like a lack of fitness. Can everybody be wrong? Perhaps it's just a player reaching the twilight of their career, but for me he looks like someone who's career peaked with euro 2016. I personally haven't seen him perform as well as he did and look as good as he did during that tournament for us. Just my opinion.

To be fair to him though this time last year Koeman was bemoaning the fitness regime and standards of our players under the previous manager. From the weekend I wouldn't say we were much improved from this time last year on that front. Some players looked incredibly goosed at the weekend.

Which ones ?

Status
Not open for further replies.