Ashley Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
This.

Also when I've seen him and been impressed, both for Wales and Swansea, it's when they've been in a backs to the wall situation, and he cmes into his own putting his body on the line. We're not going to be in many situations like that. Even yesterday wasn't that type of game and hat's probably one of our hardest games in the calendar.

I wouldn't get rid, but we do need to bring in 2 new CBs in the summer to replace Mori and Jags.

Wales also play a back 3

Similarly I didn't see anything from him where I think, "well done Ash, you've had yourself a good game there".

Distribution is about more than just completing your pass. It's about playing sensible balls to the right people at the right times and he's not very good at that. There were numerous occasions yesterday where he hit hail mary balls to Lukaku, and others where he played square balls to other defenders and put them in tight spots. The second goal - if that's Stones, people are going mad. He's switched off, not realised that Schneiderlin has come to get the ball. He should have been a)instructing Robles, he's supposed to be a leader b) Manouvering himself into a position to get the ball off Schneiderlin and get rid. He wasn't most culpable, but he certainly wasn't blameless.

Mori went walkabouts because he's rubbish, but Vertonghen was running at the right side of our defence - Williams's side. He didn't need to cover anyone, he needed to tackle the bloke running at him, and he failed.

Big fish in a small pond at Swansea, that suits and brings the best out of some players, hopefully a one-year stopgap as a starter, most dissapointing signing so far on what was expected of him

Agree with the back 3 shout. Both him and Funes benefit from it but since Gueye came back Koeman has been dead set on playing him and Schnieds together with either of Davies/McCarthy/Barry and dropping the back 3, which is to their detriment even despite the presence of 2 DM's in front of them. Think Koeman needs to look a bit more carefully at the game he's prepping for and consider when the back 3 is more appropriate.
I keep on saying it but I think we have an unbalanced squad, with most of our better players being defensive/central midfielders. Koeman seems to be trying to fit in as many as possible into the starting XI. The third CB takes away one of those positions so he appears to have just binned 3 at the back for the moment. The problem is, he doesn't seem to trust Holgate in a 4, and Mori, and arguably Williams, just aren't secure enough. He defo needs to rethink things, especially in the games we have coming up against the top teams.

I keep on saying it but I think we have an unbalanced squad, with most of our better players being defensive/central midfielders. Koeman seems to be trying to fit in as many as possible into the starting XI. The third CB takes away one of those positions so he appears to have just binned 3 at the back for the moment. The problem is, he doesn't seem to trust Holgate in a 4, and Mori, and arguably Williams, just aren't secure enough. He defo needs to rethink things, especially in the games we have coming up against the top teams.

...I wonder whether he generally doesn't trust Holgate since the Stoke game. I agree that he doesn't fancy him as a CB in a back four, Pennington might even be ahead of him in that regard but I have doubts there. I suspect a couple of CBs might be on the shopping list.

I've seen nothing from him this season to think he's a good signing. He's certainly not the player I expected.

I actually feel sorry for Jags, he started the season alongside Williams, and was made the scapegoat for poor defending. Now Mori has come in and replaced him and he also looks poor. Mori didn't look as bad as this (although still looked poor) last season alongside Jags when they didn't have the luxury of defensive midfielders in front of them.

Williams was sold as a leader, a big presence at the back, but he seems anything but. His lack of mobility causes us problems.

I've seen nothing from him this season to think he's a good signing. He's certainly not the player I expected.

I actually feel sorry for Jags, he started the season alongside Williams, and was made the scapegoat for poor defending. Now Mori has come in and replaced him and he also looks poor. Mori didn't look as bad as this (although still looked poor) last season alongside Jags when they didn't have the luxury of defensive midfielders in front of them.

Williams was sold as a leader, a big presence at the back, but he seems anything but. His lack of mobility causes us problems.

Serena or Venus would be a better bet lol

The big thing was not giving him the armband. I think he's one of those players that needs to have that added responsibility to bring out the best in him. Stupid giving it to Baines who whilst I like isn't a leader for me.

The big thing was not giving him the armband. I think he's one of those players that needs to have that added responsibility to bring out the best in him. Stupid giving it to Baines who whilst I like isn't a leader for me.

I would give it to Coleman. Ireland captain

...I wonder whether he generally doesn't trust Holgate since the Stoke game. I agree that he doesn't fancy him as a CB in a back four, Pennington might even be ahead of him in that regard but I have doubts there. I suspect a couple of CBs might be on the shopping list.
I'd have thought Koeman had more about him than that mate. That game was away to Stoke, in which Peter Crouch, on an incredibly bad day weather wise, specifically targeted Holgate. We won't always come up against that combination.

I agree Pennington may be slightly ahead of Holgate as regards back 4 and actually would like to see him be given another go. I just don't trust Funes Mori and it's down to pure luck/good goal keeping, that his mistakes haven't led to more goals.

I'd have thought Koeman had more about him than that mate. That game was away to Stoke, in which Peter Crouch, on an incredibly bad day weather wise, specifically targeted Holgate. We won't always come up against that combination.

I agree Pennington may be slightly ahead of Holgate as regards back 4 and actually would like to see him be given another go. I just don't trust Funes Mori and it's down to pure luck/good goal keeping, that his mistakes haven't led to more goals.

...I'm sure it won't be too long before we see Holgate back but if he was thinking of a back 3 against Spurs, the Stoke game might have been on his mind. When he gets his chance, Holgate needs to re-build that confidence.

Minor point but i'm sure he played as the left sided centre half at swansea - could be having an impact on his performances. Been really disappointed so far with him

Big fish in a small pond at Swansea, that suits and brings the best out of some players, hopefully a one-year stopgap as a starter, most dissapointing signing so far on what was expected of him

I am not sure I entirely agree. A bit like goalkeepers, some central defenders suit being in poorer teams. You have a lot more to, there is an acceptance that goals can be conceded but bravery and courage are held up as higher accolades. Williams also never gives us, and is a warrior. However I think what's clear, is in terms of bringing the ball out, and being able to play a higher line he is going to struggle at that.

What I think he's done well is helping to drag is our of the mire of the end of last season. However with defenders like that their performance almost makes themselves redundant.

Crap yesterday but I've been generally happy with him.

It's a short term signing though and I wouldn't be too shocked to see the whole back line see new faces in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.