Ashley Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really happy with this. Ashley Williams strikes me as being a proper Everton type player and his presence alone in the dressing room will be invaluable. I think we've played a blinder here if I'm being honest. We've sold 'potential' for great money and in my humble opinion Stones wont hit the heights in the Premier league and will eventually go abroad. The style in the premier league is increasingly becoming all about high tempo pressing football which doesn't suit a player like Stones. Sweeper type defenders will have a hard time in the Premier league over the coming 6 or 7 years. I think Guardiola is in for a rude awakening this coming season.
When Williams was linked to Liverpool I genuinely hoped the move wouldn't happen because he is a class act. He will be a great asset to us over the coming 3 or 4 years. Also, his influence on the younger defenders at the club will be fantastic. All in all a good day.

So that can't happen to williams, then

Yeah - As captain in the only international tournament he's ever gonna play in.

But DO they get better as they age? And how old do you want him to get to - 68? Older players get slower, and they also take longer to recover after matches.

Well, a load want Jagielka out, and he's 34. Did they want him out 2 years ago? No.

Is williams gonna be the same player in 2 years time? Highly doubtful.

In four years from now? Even more doubtful.

Will he improve in any way? Again, very highly doubtful, given his pace'll go - as well as his recovery time.

He improves us. He has never had pace, so it isn't gonna go.

Short term, it's a very good signing.

A leader, an organiser and a presence. Our defence has missed that - and blatantly so - for years.

They'd better hurry up n sign him, Wenger wanted him last year n they're about to start with NO recognised CB's, so get him bagged FFS !

Just seen Williams leaving Broadgreen hospital having his medical. Got a pic as well but only from behind couldn't get my phone out quick enough.

that's the going rate

Who else spends that on a 32yr old centre-half? Only those with more money than sense.

Stones was less than a third of that, so don't make that excuse.

and it's a stopgap that will drastically improve our defence

We hope. For that money, he best had do.

urgo our league position

*Ergo

Again, We hope. And again, for the money.

urgo our ability to buy better players

See answer directly above.

Status
Not open for further replies.