Ashley Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this happens I can see Jags stepping back more and Williams partnering Mori or Stones (if he stays). Still have a couple of young un's coming through as well.

Little bit underwhelmed tbh but realistically we were never getting Koulibally.

I guess Williams knows the league and is in his peak

Would prefer someone a bit younger though
We might still get Koulibally. Williams is a cheap but very reliable fix and if/when Stones goes i'm sure we'll get another CB in. There is nothing bad about this transfer

I recall a game last season (??maybe the one before...the memory's blurred) where, were it not for Williams, we would have trounced Swansea. As it was, it ended a draw.
I think he's a very good defender.

Little bit underwhelmed tbh but realistically we were never getting Koulibally.

I guess Williams knows the league and is in his peak

Would prefer someone a bit younger though

I wouldn't presume that getting Williams doesnt mean getting Koulibally. Long shot that was anyways, but I would presume with Stones leaving, that we would be looking at another defender, we needed experience and a leader, we get one in Williams.

Then we can get someone who is a little younger and with massive potential. Defence has too many injuries and inconsistencies to just get Williams alone in.

Williams would be a great signing. He'd be good for a couple of seasons hopefully and, whilst Stones has potential he made errors last season and sense his presence and situation isn't great for overall morale

Williams would be an instant improvement. And would leave plenty to spare from the Stones deal for other good additions - need £60m for him in current market given age and potential

Some people are never pleased - cant believe that I have just read a post describing Ashley Williams as a yard dog.... serious head wobbles if you think that he is a yard dog compared to such past defensive rocks as Carl Tiler!! The guy is the captain of his country, is consistently one of the best defenders in the league, has leadership skills and is vocal. Oh, and is only 10million quid. 10million is the new 5 million. Would you say that Distin was a carthorse and not worth the money we paid for him? We need a centre half, even if Stones goes as Jagielka now seems to be made of balsa wood. This is an absolute no brainer of a signing. If/when Stones goes get someone else in as well.

I will be very pleased if we get this guy in, not a glamour signing by any means but doesnt have many mistakes in his locker and is a solid 7/8 out of ten every week. How many consistent performers do we have in this squad currently?

Some may disagree as he plays for Swansea and not a Sky 6/7/8 side, but I genuinely think that for the past five seasons Ashley Williams has been one of the best Centre-Halves in the Premier League. He was also immense for Wales in the Euros. If money is now not a problem than let sell-on value be damned this is a very good and much needed signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.