Ashley Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a very good post. He is quite Jagielka-like as well albeit a couple of years younger. Not prime Jagielka but Jagielka before he has recently got the spate of injuries. I don't think we can discard that when we consider Williams and/or Fonte. I think there ought to be some concern as to how many games Jagielka can play and when he will be back fit. His workload will need to be managed.

The squad lacks leadership. Buying leadership in is the easiest way to address this. Williams is very similar to Jags, he's not the biggest but reads the game well, quite quick and puts his body on the line. The key bit for me is that experience normally costs an absolute fortune to get such experience in and you have to pay over the odds. In a market where Tomkins has gone for 15 million and Brad Smith between 3-6 I don't think you can say we are being ripped off.

Similar thinking myself. We have talent in the squad but we lack leadership and organisation. Roberto had them going out and expressing themselves with no consequence for mistakes. That creates 11 individuals instead of a collective 'team'. Every good team needs a leader and the belief of the needs of the many rather than the needs of the self.

The more leaders we can bring in the better our current players will become.

Everyone worried about Ashley Wiliams, he is one of the best CBs in the premier league. If you have any concerns about his age, just remember Distin, great servant for about 6 years and he came when he was 32/33. we need someone who will make an instant impact. great signing!

There's more acting like he's 'big John' brought in from the Dog n Duck.

Utter mardy arses. For £10m this is fantastic business.

I wonder how Jags will take this. He wont be the "leader" and will probably feel undermined if Williams is (or is treated like) captain.

Could see his nose pushed out of joint and a bid from moyes.

Everyone worried about Ashley Wiliams, he is one of the best CBs in the premier league. If you have any concerns about his age, just remember Distin, great servant for about 6 years and he came when he was 32/33. we need someone who will make an instant impact. great signing!
Is right mate

Danny Gabbidon (who I assume knows Ashley Williams pretty well) basically confirmed this is likely to happen.

For £8m he reckons too.

Very underwhelmed.
For all this supposed money going round we end up with that yard dog Williams.
As I've said, Mosh is never going to spend his money here and he's fooled us all.

Very underwhelmed.
As I've said, Mosh is never going to spend his money here and he's fooled us all.

He ain't no yard dog. He's a very experienced solid PL centre half who is also a great leader on and off the pitch...something we really lack.

Really struggling to see the negativity some people have with this Williams link. An experienced, Premier League proven centre half, a leader and an organiser, who can instantly slot into our pretty ropey defence, who has also just lead his national team to their best ever showing on the International stage. £10m for all that in today's market is peanuts.

He's what we've been crying out for for ages now. I really don't care about the 'no sell on value'. Big clubs with big budgets that wish to be successful don't, and can't, think like that. Why should we?

Very underwhelmed.

jesus mate :zzz: he is a quality centre back and he has already spent loads and is continuing to do so

Little bit underwhelmed tbh but realistically we were never getting Koulibally.

I guess Williams knows the league and is in his peak

Would prefer someone a bit younger though

Very underwhelmed.

I reckon at CB a "yard dog" is exactly what we need, not that I'd describe him as such!

The big money needs to be spent elsewhere, nobody needs centre-backs doing step-overs and cruyff turns, we need ones who can head a ball and clear corners.

Really struggling to see the negativity some people have with this Williams link. An experienced, Premier League proven centre half, a leader and an organiser, who can instantly slot into our pretty ropey defence, who has also just lead his national team to their best ever showing on the International stage. £10m for all that in today's market is peanuts.

He's what we've been crying out for for ages now. I really don't care about the 'no sell on value'. Big clubs with big budgets that wish to be successful don't, and can't, think like that. Why should we?

Agree with all this especially the bit in bold. I'd look at the value we'll get from his experience and quality for the next 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.