Match Thread Arsenal V Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went last night although my vantage point was quite low so my perspective might be a bit skew whiff.
Good for 40 minutes and then one switch off and we get punished…similar angle to the chance Nketiah ballooned over at Goodison.
Second goal killed us and Gana completely to blame…our team mentality should be about getting to HT only 1-0 down but the manner of that goal was criminal.
I thought McNeil was unlucky with his run and shot but they seemed to put the game to bed 2 minutes later.
Iwobi,Onana, Gueye and Maupay were anonymous for the most part and heads went down in the second half.
When half of the team have been part of previously relegated teams it should be no surprise we look destined for relegation before one factors in our lack of firepower upfront.
I’d had enough by 80 minutes and left(the last time I did this was also at Arsenal when we got battered under Fat Sam).
The final dispiriting aspect was I saw Evertonians fighting with each other again.

I won’t give up yet but I see very little cause for optimism.

Arsenal are the best team in the league. We were expected to get beaten comfortably and we did.

We've conceded 21 goals in our last 4 appearances at the Emirates and we've won just once at Arsenal in the last quarter of a century.

It's not like losing 5-2 at home to Watford under Benitez.

We must gain some points from our next two matches, though, otherwise I fear we are doomed. A minimum of 2.

Forget calling for Calvert Lewin as some kind of saviour, that's not going to happen. If he does come back there is simply no chance of him playing enough games to get sharp enough. The man is made of Weetabix now. One or two games back and he'll injure himself walking the dog or taking the bins out. The players we have in now simply have to learn how to score themselves. Since Dyche joined only defenders have scored for us. How ludicrous is that?

It's mental to even think of him as some sort of saviour. He's been bang average except for one season with some extremely talented playmakers behind him under one of the greatest managers in club football. He is just not a good player and has openly admitted his mentality wavers a lot, which I can understand given the turmoil at the club.

Players like DCL, Tom Davies, Doucoure, Gray, McNeil, Keane, Holgate, Maupay, Iwobi and Mykolenko are just not good enough for the premier league. You can argue Iwobi's case, but again, he lets his form dip far too easily.

It doesn't seem to matter who comes in, as soon as the initial talk has gotten out the way, this spine of players just reverts to failure every single time, and the worst part is that this list was way bigger before we got all those massive contracts off our books last summer

Somewhere, according to multiverse theory, there will be an Everton winning 4-0 away at Arsenal... In another, we'll be on the wrong end of a similar scoreline.

Let's be honest, there's more chance of a Gunners OG than us hitting the back of the net.

Our current decline has coincided with the tenure of our current owner.
We're in the wrong 'multiverse'.
I'm in the wrong multiverse.

We played okay for the first half-hour, but it seemed inevitable that Arsenal would score eventually - they are top of the league and at home after all. However Gana's brain fart just before half-time killed off any chance of us getting anything out of the game. In the second half we offered absolutely no threat and seemed quite happy to let Arsenal pass the ball around at will, with seemingly no effort made by our players to get hold of the ball, or do anything with it if they managed to get a touch. Once they scored the 3rd goal I switched off and went to sort out my sock drawer, but was pleasantly surprised when I checked later to find that the final score was only 4-0.

I didn't see Tom Davies come on so I don't know how he played, but I gave him my MoM vote anyway, he couldn't have done worse than the rest of them.......................

Not that I was expecting anything other than a gubbing, but it was the exact same result as when we went there in that nightmare 1997/98 season, and I don't remember feeling any more concerned back then than I do now. And at that point, we only had 1 game left to get out of the bottom 3, but I felt we'd somehow do it. No such confidence this time around, despite us having plenty of games left.

All about confidence.
If we beat villa, this defeat would've been written off.
Unfortunately we never.
So the players mindset is completely different.
Next two games,I feel, are must wins.
A Forest loss will have a knock on effect on to Brentford leading to a loss.

Just watched all the goals again.

McNeil absolutely hung Myko out to dry for the first one by just not bothering to track Martinelli.
Gueye was diabolical for the 2nd but it was also 100% offside.
None of the CBs or Midfield took responsibility to pick up Odegaard. Zero communications for the 3rd.
Onana had zero idea were Saka was and then Tarks was wrong side of his man for the 4th.

we need much better communication between the lines.

Last edited:
Noticeable we've gone back to playing the ball around at the back again, which always gives us problems. Must be something to do with Keane. We look amateurs doing it and always leads to the opposition gaining from it

Noticeable we've gone back to playing the ball around at the back again, which always gives us problems. Must be something to do with Keane. We look amateurs doing it and always leads to the opposition gaining from it
I saw that too; just ridiculous...

We do not have the players to play like Manchester City or Arsenal, so why the F are we trying?

Keane actually has a decent pass on him as well if he goes long. We just have zero pace for anyone running on to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.