Are we missing a trick with Leighton Baines?

What to do with Baines

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Say NO to Ginger Managers
As per @AndyC 's article on the home page.
https://www.grandoldteam.com/2016/08/10/missing-trick-leighton-baines/?

In recent years Leighton Baines has been referred to as arguably the best left back in the country, a few might even have suggested the world.

But were those opinions slightly clouded by his prowess going forward?

I’d suggest therefore that Leighton Baines was the best attacking left back in the country, not necessarily the best defensively. Leighton, in my opinion, tends too often to stand off his man – the opposing right winger. He’s never been the best at instantly closing his man down, denying him the space in which to work, tending to rely upon his athleticism and speed to get himself out of trouble.

Don’t get me wrong, Baines has been a good and loyal servant to Everton and has deserved the accolades and plaudits for his rampaging, swashbuckling surges down our left flank, particularly when linking almost telepathically with Steven Pienaar.

So what I’m offering for consideration and debate is this…

Should Everton have a re-think of the left flank area?

Should we try to forge a new left wing partnership of Baines further forward ahead of Luke Garbutt or Brendan Galloway?

Why not give the blossoming young ‘uns their chance with the experienced and attack-minded Baines ahead and he’d be there to cover them too?

My preference would be for Galloway, pity he’s gone on a season-long loan to Newcastle although that should surely benefit him. He’s tall, young, athletic and hungry and at left back with Baines ahead of him, they could cause mayhem.

Baines (still) has enough pace to play further forward, take on the opposing fullback and is a fine crosser of a ball… something we lacked at times last season. And being massively left footed, wouldn’t he offer exactly the kind of outlet that we need off that flank?

Baines has always wanted to get forward but now seems more reluctant or hesitant to do so as rampantly as in previous years… so why not change the system to suit his attacking tendencies?

Play him in a position where he can do real damage – occupying the mind of the opposition fullback, keeping him wide and opening up space in the left side channel for Mirallas, Barkley, Lukaku and co to drive into at pace with serious intent.

Leighton Baines probably has at least two more good seasons in him, so I’d venture it’s not too late to try and make the most of his attacking ability.

Bayern Munich and Germany did just this kind of exercise with Philip Lahm and that worked out pretty well – so why can’t Everton do the same with Leighton Baines and in the process give either Garbutt or Galloway the chance to battle it out for the starting role at left back?

Cheers,

AndyC (formerly Blockhead)

Ever since the World Cup, he's looked well out of it. Injury, then that pen miss seems to have shattered him unfortunately.
I think if we seriously want to contend with top 5, we might need to find someone else. It's a shame because a few years ago he really was the best, sometimes still does look like that but not consistently.

Edit, he might work further up, but wouldn't a young and pacey winger be better?

Always liked the idea of Baines further forward as Galloway deserves his chance. He impressed at the start of last season when Baines was injured. Only thing in my mind is that Baines' crosses have not been as great as they once were. Probably a thought that has gone through Koeman's mind I expect.

Put him as a snidey git in front of back four..let the left foot work its magic spraying the ball out wide.

Nurse!! Where are my meds??

.....to get the best out of Baines I think he needs a like minded, mercurial type in front of him. It's about blend but from what I've seen RK like his wide men to join in with the CF, perhaps suiting powerful marauding type full backs. We'll see. There might be plenty of space for him to exploit, even if there is less tikka taki.

Personally I disagree almost entirely with the sentiment.
He's very good at what he does at left back for a reason, he is able to marry good attacking go forward which is essential in a modern fullback, with solid defending at the back.
If you look at how he gets forward, it is through quick interchange, movement and whipping in a cross. He reads the game really well.
It's not through beating a man. I'd argue the ability to beat a man is a modern day requirement of a winger. Even Aiden McGeady can sometimes do it.
So no, would be a terrible idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.