2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I do, and I think that’s reflected in me saying nobody should be saying he’s rubbish. That doesn’t mean I think talking about him being world class, best in Europe, potentially worth £100m etc is the best way to counter it.

I mean 8 goals puts him in the bracket of cornet, Harrison, barnes, benrahma etc from last year, and none of them are anything like £100m players, it’s just unnecessary hyperbole and is exactly what you’re saying you don’t want to to do - building massive expectation.

No I appreciate that, and I think you know me well enough to know I'm not referring to you in that point.

And look, the people saying hes rubbish are entitled to their view, but to me it should be challenged.

In terms of the 100m point, I do think there is a load of context that has to be added. I pointed out if he continues at this rate, scoring say 10/11 goals he would be in and around that point. That might sound really mad, but in a market where Gibbs White has gone for 45m and Chelsea were apparently looking at a 60m bid for Gordon as a guy who scored 4 goals, to me it doesnt seem that ridiculous. Where the market is is ridiculous, and when you take that into account if he doubles to trebles his output, he goes for what would seem ludicrous money.

That's not me saying hes a 100m player. I appreciate the differences may be subtle between what I outline and that conclusion, but to me they are important distinctions. There seems to be this view that only a 21 year old whos getting 10+ goals from a wide position is good enough. To me it's just wholly unrealistic, if a player does that, they will go to a better club. It's a painful conclusion, but we are not in the 1980s anymore.

As for the comparisons you mention, it's a fair point, but they are crucially that bit older than Gordon. They are anywhere from 3 and a bit to 6 years older than Gordon. None of them got anywhere near 10+ PL goals in a season where the majority of it would be 22.

But yes, if Gordon is still scoring 10 goals at 25/26 he will be a 50m player like Richarlison. Some of it will be that he could kick on further.

Now if people view this as hyperbole or massive expectations, that's one view I suppose. I'd like to think people can see the rational behind even some of the more outlandish statements, and can see the spirit that they are made- which is if Gordon gets 10 goals that would be a good return.

No I appreciate that, and I think you know me well enough to know I'm not referring to you in that point.

And look, the people saying hes rubbish are entitled to their view, but to me it should be challenged.

In terms of the 100m point, I do think there is a load of context that has to be added. I pointed out if he continues at this rate, scoring say 10/11 goals he would be in and around that point. That might sound really mad, but in a market where Gibbs White has gone for 45m and Chelsea were apparently looking at a 60m bid for Gordon as a guy who scored 4 goals, to me it doesnt seem that ridiculous. Where the market is is ridiculous, and when you take that into account if he doubles to trebles his output, he goes for what would seem ludicrous money.

That's not me saying hes a 100m player. I appreciate the differences may be subtle between what I outline and that conclusion, but to me they are important distinctions. There seems to be this view that only a 21 year old whos getting 10+ goals from a wide position is good enough. To me it's just wholly unrealistic, if a player does that, they will go to a better club. It's a painful conclusion, but we are not in the 1980s anymore.

As for the comparisons you mention, it's a fair point, but they are crucially that bit older than Gordon. They are anywhere from 3 and a bit to 6 years older than Gordon. None of them got anywhere near 10+ PL goals in a season where the majority of it would be 22.

But yes, if Gordon is still scoring 10 goals at 25/26 he will be a 50m player like Richarlison. Some of it will be that he could kick on further.

Now if people view this as hyperbole or massive expectations, that's one view I suppose. I'd like to think people can see the rational behind even some of the more outlandish statements, and can see the spirit that they are made- which is if Gordon gets 10 goals that would be a good return.
10 goals would be a very good return. For me in 2 in 7 is a bit early to be extrapolating how many he’ll end up with so I think it’s wait and see on that one. He got 3 in about 4 games midway through last season I think, then only 1 in the next 16, so we’ll just have to see whether he keeps it up.

I’m with goat about Sundays game for sure, I thought he was objectively poor. I said at half time I’d be tempted to take him off for doucoure who I’ve made my feelings on very clear so that tells you what I thought of his performance. I thought he was similar in the earlier games too, but Brentford and Leeds were good performances all round, not just the goals.

Nobody should expect a 21 year old to be running games but I don’t think many people are to be honest. It would be nice if he could maintain a good level for 90 minutes fairly regularly and if he showed more than the odd flash of real quality.

10 goals would be a very good return. For me in 2 in 7 is a bit early to be extrapolating how many he’ll end up with so I think it’s wait and see on that one. He got 3 in about 4 games midway through last season I think, then only 1 in the next 16, so we’ll just have to see whether he keeps it up.

I’m with goat about Sundays game for sure, I thought he was objectively poor. I said at half time I’d be tempted to take him off for doucoure who I’ve made my feelings on very clear so that tells you what I thought of his performance. I thought he was similar in the earlier games too, but Brentford and Leeds were good performances all round, not just the goals.

Nobody should expect a 21 year old to be running games but I don’t think many people are to be honest. It would be nice if he could maintain a good level for 90 minutes fairly regularly and if he showed more than the odd flash of real quality.

Yes lots of interesting points.

Of course it's too early to extrapolate, hence why it's a bit early to draw any conclusions. It's much too early to judge anyones performance this season. Even Iwobi who's been excellent, it is early days still.

I thought he was poor Sunday too. Just didnt seem to get into the game. It happens. Players have poor games. Did some nice things defensively but not enough of a threat for me. My contention was more the comments about the entire season. I have a different view. I have nothing against Goat or anyone else, as I said to someone I was discussing with earlier who holds opposite views to mine, it's a forum and it's good to have divergence.

As for the final point, I think a lot of people sort of want him to be the next Wayne Rooney. It wont happen. That will probably never happen again in our time watching Everton. We all want games like Leeds/Brentford, where he scores, but that isnt going to happen every week. If he did that he would be Salah. I suppose I'm quite comfortable about that. I'm not going to get too angry or upset by that as I've kind of resolved it in my head.

If he has 10 games like the game Sunday I'll worry, but if he can score at 1/3 I'm happy to swallow any concerns.

Geri had zero end product? He scored more than gordon , and he had an excellent delivery on him and could actually cross a football.

You clearly either never watched Geri or know nothing about footy. Or both. He was entertaining enough with his little stopovers - but one small purple patch aside was never good enough for the Premier League.

He worries me a lot at times. Looks dead on his feet far too often.

Whenever he switched wings, WHU immediately targeted that wing. He walked back far too often, leaving the full back often outnumbered and exposed. He continued this until the Park End went mad at him jogging and then he sprinted back twice and broke up their play.

Is it a fitness issue or can he not be bothered to track back? Many attacking players hate to do it. But it left us exposed far too often.

He worries me a lot at times. Looks dead on his feet far too often.

Whenever he switched wings, WHU immediately targeted that wing. He walked back far too often, leaving the full back often outnumbered and exposed. He continued this until the Park End went mad at him jogging and then he sprinted back twice and broke up their play.

Is it a fitness issue or can he not be bothered to track back? Many attacking players hate to do it. But it left us exposed far too often.
The lack of stamina is definitely a worry as at his age it shouldn't really be a problem.
Also I am a bit concerned about the fact he played really well in the games before the window closed but since against Liverpool and West Ham he was very poor.
I hope that this isn't a sign that his head has been turned and has an over inflated opinion of his worth to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.