2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think he had a bad game at all. Im not sure he fits into a right sided position. He's a player that needs freedom to roam about across the front line and pick the ball up from deep. The lack of overlapping and general support in attack from Patterson is hampering him down that right flank.
He would do well in the Dutch League.

Same as gray for me both have good games and bad ones, i hope the club bring in another wide player so we can rotate them during games is a key area for me with th 5 subs rule

You can argue about the price being offered but what can't be denied is that there was solid interest from Newcastle as well as from two CL clubs in Chelsea and Spurs. There may have been other clubs as well.

I always follow the academy teams because I think home grown players are such an enormous boost for any club and it is nice to follow the progress of future Premiership footballers.

Anthony Gordon always did well as an academy player but maybe not so well as to suggest he would be in such demand from high end clubs at such a young age.

It makes you look at academy players in a different light.

It does appear as if Stanley Mills is following the same trajectory as AG.
Other young players are making steady progress and we have seen enough from some to suggest that in time they may make the breakthrough as well.

You can argue about the price being offered but what can't be denied is that there was solid interest from Newcastle as well as from two CL clubs in Chelsea and Spurs. There may have been other clubs as well.

I always follow the academy teams because I think home grown players are such an enormous boost for any club and it is nice to follow the progress of future Premiership footballers.

Anthony Gordon always did well as an academy player but maybe not so well as to suggest he would be in such demand from high end clubs at such a young age.

It makes you look at academy players in a different light.

It does appear as if Stanley Mills is following the same trajectory as AG.
Other young players are making steady progress and we have seen enough from some to suggest that in time they may make the breakthrough as well.
It's a mugs game trying to predict which academy players will go on to have stellar careers, which ones will have mediocre careers, and which ones will be playing non league football. The game is full of hot young prospects who do virtually nothing in the game.

Geri had zero end product. Gordon has added that this season. Geri was/is a poundland version of what we have now.

He's literally leagues above Patterson

"Probably more like Tom Davies." Dear God.

I’m guessing you are related to him based on the clear bias you are showing. Gordon has shown promise but has actually done very little so far.

At one stage Tom Davies was a big prospect and if I remember right, captained the side at an extremely young age. There was Barkley before that and so on.

Until Gordon produces consistent goals and assists for consecutive seasons then he is potential and nothing more. The same goes for DCL who has had one good season in real terms

His fanboys seem to have elevated him at a level his talent hasnt yet reached.

He was very, very poor on Sunday, hes been very, very poor in the majority of games these season, for the record.

Hes potentially a very good player, at this point, I dont see him ever reaching the heights his fanboys think.

I mean was he very very poor? Or very very poor this season mate?

Hes scored 2 in 7, which works out at 10+ across a season. Been dangerous in other games and had one goal very narrowly ruled out.

What level are people expecting? If 10+ league goals a season (which is more than Foden has ever managed) what does average look like?

Hes been good this season. Not outstanding, but good, and was ok at the weekend. Contributed defensively but not enough the other way. But hes 21 and doing fine. If he maintains this level across a season I'll be chuffed.

I mean was he very very poor? Or very very poor this season mate?

Hes scored 2 in 7, which works out at 10+ across a season. Been dangerous in other games and had one goal very narrowly ruled out.

What level are people expecting? If 10+ league goals a season (which is more than Foden has ever managed) what does average look like?

Hes been good this season. Not outstanding, but good, and was ok at the weekend. Contributed defensively but not enough the other way. But hes 21 and doing fine. If he maintains this level across a season I'll be chuffed.
Yes mate, I think hes been poor in 4 of the 7 games we have played this season, which is the majority.

I’m guessing you are related to him based on the clear bias you are showing. Gordon has shown promise but has actually done very little so far.

At one stage Tom Davies was a big prospect and if I remember right, captained the side at an extremely young age. There was Barkley before that and so on.

Until Gordon produces consistent goals and assists for consecutive seasons then he is potential and nothing more. The same goes for Dominic Calvert-Lewin who has had one good season in real terms

Well he got 4 goals in the 2nd half of last season in an awful team. He has 2 in 7 this season. What are you expecting?

And Calvert Lewin has double figures outside of pens in consecutive seasons. How many strikers have done that for us in the last 30 years?

Weve had loads of bad players, but honestly Gordon and Calvert Lewin are two rare success stories.

Yes mate, I think hes been poor in 4 of the 7 games we have played this season, which is the majority.

I see.

I think we obviously have very different expectations for a 21 year old lad. If he can keep up his goal return for the rest of the season, I hope he has a very very poor season I suppose!

any truth to the fact that we've offered him a new contract which is like 5 x his current salary but his agent is still trying to get him a transfer to chelsea?

apparently this contract has been on the table for months so must be some truth in it otherwise he would have signed it by now surely

I mean devils advocate, if the transfer to Chelsea is still an option, he keeps his output up, he could go in January for big money.

Well he got 4 goals in the 2nd half of last season in an awful team. He has 2 in 7 this season. What are you expecting?

And Calvert Lewin has double figures outside of pens in consecutive seasons. How many strikers have done that for us in the last 30 years?

Weve had loads of bad players, but honestly Gordon and Calvert Lewin are two rare success stories.
Gordon has had a few good months but let’s not hide the fact that we were ready to send him on loan at the end of the summer window when RB was here.

He has a long long way to go before the justifies the sort of money that Chelsea were supposedly willing to pay.

Additionally, DCL may have had some good seasons but as far as I am concerned we need to press the reset on our expectations of him post injuries because we may never see the same player again given the number of them.

Not writing either of them off but the Gordon hype on here from some is over the top in my view

I see.

I think we obviously have very different expectations for a 21 year old lad. If he can keep up his goal return for the rest of the season, I hope he has a very very poor season I suppose!
Do the Premier League give us bonus points when a 21 year old has a bad game?

If so his age matters.

But yes, if he performs in 40% of games then it wont be a bad season.

Status
Not open for further replies.