2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gordon has had a few good months but let’s not hide the fact that we were ready to send him on loan at the end of the summer window when RB was here.

He has a long long way to go before the justifies the sort of money that Chelsea were supposedly willing to pay.

Additionally, Dominic Calvert-Lewin may have had some good seasons but as far as I am concerned we need to press the reset on our expectations of him post injuries because we may never see the same player again given the number of them.

Not writing either of them off but the Gordon hype on here from some is over the top in my view

Well Gibbs White, who has 1 goal in 50 odd games went for the same money. So hes kind of already proven his worth beyond that.

He has really had a good 12 months, that's fair, but he did well last season, and thus far is backing it up this year (albeit needs to continue).

Re.Dom I agree, think hes done. But he did put together some decent seasons.

Do the Premier League give us bonus points when a 21 year old has a bad game?

If so his age matters.

But yes, if he performs in 40% of games then it wont be a bad season.

No they dont. But young players are up and down. It goes with the territory. I love Patterson, but hes a mixture of good and bad too.

I just dont think Gordon has been awful this season. If he gets 10 goals that would be a fantastic return, and hes on course for that. He has lots of areas for improvement, but I'm happy with his contribution.

Well Gibbs White, who has 1 goal in 50 odd games went for the same money. So hes kind of already proven his worth beyond that.

He has really had a good 12 months, that's fair, but he did well last season, and thus far is backing it up this year (albeit needs to continue).

I don’t think gibbs white is a fair comparison personally as I don’t think you’ll find many people who think he is worth what he went for.

Gordon needs to probably double if not treble his numbers in the next 18 months in my view as his 4/5 last season was simply not enough

It's just a a couple of injuries, he's far from done. The worse one was last season and he was very influential towards the end of the season

I’m guessing you are related to him based on the clear bias you are showing. Gordon has shown promise but has actually done very little so far.

At one stage Tom Davies was a big prospect and if I remember right, captained the side at an extremely young age. There was Barkley before that and so on.

Until Gordon produces consistent goals and assists for consecutive seasons then he is potential and nothing more. The same goes for Dominic Calvert-Lewin who has had one good season in real terms

Davies was flavour of the month for about one and a half games. Gordon is a potential rock star.

And yes I am related to him.

Sincerely yours

Harry. Sussex. Prince. Duke.

I don’t think gibbs white is a fair comparison personally as I don’t think you’ll find many people who think he is worth what he went for.

Gordon needs to probably double if not treble his numbers in the next 18 months in my view as his 4/5 last season was simply not enough

But that's what the market has paid for him mate.

If he gets 8-12 goals then he will be a 100m player in this market.

If 4/5 of last season, for a lad who was 20 were not good enough, why are elite clubs wanting to sign him? They obviously were good enough. We are in no position to be stating players wanted by the likes of Chelsea, Tottenham, Bayern etc are not good enough.

He was voted our best player. So quite clearly he had an excellent season last year relatively speaking. Trying to spin it any other way, like he was poor doesnt hold much water.

If 4/5 of last season, for a lad who was 20 were not good enough, why are elite clubs wanting to sign him? They obviously were good enough. We are in no position to be stating players wanted by the likes of Chelsea, Tottenham, Bayern etc are not good enough.

He was voted our best player. So quite clearly he had an excellent season last year relatively speaking. Trying to spin it any other way, like he was poor doesnt hold much water.

lol

No they dont. But young players are up and down. It goes with the territory. I love Patterson, but hes a mixture of good and bad too.

I just dont think Gordon has been awful this season. If he gets 10 goals that would be a fantastic return, and hes on course for that. He has lots of areas for improvement, but I'm happy with his contribution.
He's been nowhere near awful, really odd comment to make. He's made a solid start to the season with two goals, all with the uncertainty of Chelsea wanting to take him, sports shows talking about him moving and lots of paper talk. That's going to be a distraction itself, so I think he's done great all things considering.

He was quiet going forward on Sunday, but he still grafted, pressed up top, got back and helped the defence. He's young and he won't be at the top of his game every match.

To expect him to perform consistently as a £40m player, because the papers made up fictitious bid for him for that amount is ridiculous... Lampard stated they bid nowhere near that amount.

You've got a cob on because he shouted at a Scottish player

It's pathetic.

Anyone who knows football can see what an enormous talent Gordon is.

People doubting that for whatever reason are utterly clueless.

I like Anthony Gordon. He's a blue and he works hard but right now he's still 60% potential for me and 40% ability. He still has a long way to go and he can very easily become one of those players which fades once the adrenaline subsides. He can also very easily become a very good winger in the league and it's about nurturing that talent and making sure they don't get too big for their boots. We saw Conte bench Son, one of the best players in the league last season in order to get a reaction. We would do well to manage Gordon like that sometimes. I don't care that Patterson is Scottish, I care that he's a young player that is new to the first team and he's being shouted at in a way that is not acceptable for me from someone who isn't a seasoned pro with the career to back him up. Gordon still has a very long way to go and he sometimes needs to remember that. He's far from the finished article.

For what it's worth I think both will become very good players for us and reach EL standards, but I don't think either have that last bit of quality needed to be a top top player.

I like Anthony Gordon. He's a blue and he works hard but right now he's still 60% potential for me and 40% ability. He still has a long way to go and he can very easily become one of those players which fades once the adrenaline subsides. He can also very easily become a very good winger in the league and it's about nurturing that talent and making sure they don't get too big for their boots. We saw Conte bench Son, one of the best players in the league last season in order to get a reaction. We would do well to manage Gordon like that sometimes. I don't care that Patterson is Scottish, I care that he's a young player that is new to the first team and he's being shouted at in a way that is not acceptable for me from someone who isn't a seasoned pro with the career to back him up. Gordon still has a very long way to go and he sometimes needs to remember that. He's far from the finished article.

For what it's worth I think both will become very good players for us and reach EL standards, but I don't think either have that last bit of quality needed to be a top top player.
Gordon is a top player, he's just in a bang average team. That needs to be rectified in the next couple of seasons or he will be gone to a CL club.

You really don't help yourself - or him - with some of your comments in this thread.

He's a young player with potential. Sometimes he looks good, sometimes he doesn't. I think it could go either way with him, there are definitely glimpses of real quality that you get with him, but overall I'd say he underwhelms to a certain extent. Nobody should be saying he's useless or whatever because clearly he's not, but I think there's a genuine debate to be had about whether he should be a nailed on starter for us at this stage.

I am not spinning it that he had a bad season. I am saying Chelsea were buying potential just like they did with Carney Chuk whatever his name is from Villa.

Gordon has done more than the Villa lad and Gibbs White but their value is a reflection of them being English prospects not a reflection of their current contributions

You really don't help yourself - or him - with some of your comments in this thread.

He's a young player with potential. Sometimes he looks good, sometimes he doesn't. I think it could go either way with him, there are definitely glimpses of real quality that you get with him, but overall I'd say he underwhelms to a certain extent. Nobody should be saying he's useless or whatever because clearly he's not, but I think there's a genuine debate to be had about whether he should be a nailed on starter for us at this stage.

I'm not trying to be abrasive mate, but do you read the comments I'm replying to?

Such as Gordon has been very very poor this season. Or that he was awful last season. He won POTY last year! That's not even my opinion, that's the award hes won.

Most 21 year olds look up and down. Hes the same. That doesnt worry me. I suppose I'm happy to look at the totality, rather than get sucked in to game by game conclusions. If he continues at a rate of 2 in 7 (so circa 11 league goals) hes that will be really good. I dont think it's a poor output.

I know I've said it before, but the concern is that unrealistic expectations are placed upon him, which when he doesnt inevitably meet, cause people to type big overreactions.

My big worry for him is his fitness. I've said that before. He has to be able to go for 90 minutes and I'm not sure he can. That concerns me a lot more than anything else. It feels far more tangible than the criticisms made

As for his place in the team, I'm happy to have such a debate. People seem to want to shut that debate down by saying hes rubbish, and theres no further discussion. I dont see, at this point in time anybody putting a compelling case to take him out of the team. Hes our top scorer and therein biggest goal threat, as well as contributing defensively. Hes 21, so gives us upside potential to sell him on with exposure.

Gray has had a really good start, but is very erratic, and objectively I doubt he will keep this performance level up (as he didnt last season). I quite like McNeil, but I dont see the same goal threat from him. Who comes in for Gordon?

Theres a wider question, as to whether we ought to be in such a position, and I'm completely on board with it. But me saying Gordon should play, is not the same as me saying I'm happy this lad is our best option.

I am not spinning it that he had a bad season. I am saying Chelsea were buying potential just like they did with Carney Chuk whatever his name is from Villa.

Gordon has done more than the Villa lad and Gibbs White but their value is a reflection of them being English prospects not a reflection of their current contributions
You dont go to 45m on just potential though.

But yes, they obviously see him as a high ceiling player. So we need to be playing him to try and draw that player out.

I'm not trying to be abrasive mate, but do you read the comments I'm replying to?

Such as Gordon has been very very poor this season. Or that he was awful last season. He won POTY last year! That's not even my opinion, that's the award hes won.

Most 21 year olds look up and down. Hes the same. That doesnt worry me. I suppose I'm happy to look at the totality, rather than get sucked in to game by game conclusions. If he continues at a rate of 2 in 7 (so circa 11 league goals) hes that will be really good. I dont think it's a poor output.

I know I've said it before, but the concern is that unrealistic expectations are placed upon him, which when he doesnt inevitably meet, cause people to type big overreactions.

My big worry for him is his fitness. I've said that before. He has to be able to go for 90 minutes and I'm not sure he can. That concerns me a lot more than anything else. It feels far more tangible than the criticisms made

As for his place in the team, I'm happy to have such a debate. People seem to want to shut that debate down by saying hes rubbish, and theres no further discussion. I dont see, at this point in time anybody putting a compelling case to take him out of the team. Hes our top scorer and therein biggest goal threat, as well as contributing defensively. Hes 21, so gives us upside potential to sell him on with exposure.

Gray has had a really good start, but is very erratic, and objectively I doubt he will keep this performance level up (as he didnt last season). I quite like McNeil, but I dont see the same goal threat from him. Who comes in for Gordon?

Theres a wider question, as to whether we ought to be in such a position, and I'm completely on board with it. But me saying Gordon should play, is not the same as me saying I'm happy this lad is our best option.
Yes I do, and I think that’s reflected in me saying nobody should be saying he’s rubbish. That doesn’t mean I think talking about him being world class, best in Europe, potentially worth £100m etc is the best way to counter it.

I mean 8 goals puts him in the bracket of cornet, Harrison, barnes, benrahma etc from last year, and none of them are anything like £100m players, it’s just unnecessary hyperbole and is exactly what you’re saying you don’t want to to do - building massive expectation.

Status
Not open for further replies.