2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
id happily sell for 50m but i dont get the way we have to hate everyone who leaves. his end product wasnt all that but nobody worked harder than him last season when others clearly didnt. we're currently not very good and the money could be spent on much better and important players to improves us quicker than if he stayed.

Who hates him? Don't think he's played enough to even have that opinion of him

£50m is a massive fee for a player who's only just broken into the team and whilst there have been some decent signs I wouldn't be disappointed to see him leave. No player is bigger than the club.

Should he leave to join Chelsea then I predict that he will follow the career paths of Rodwell, Barkley and Jeffers (leaving too early and not fulfilling their potential).
That may be true. Personally the interesting comparison w/ Chelsea is Ziyech considering the style and mercurial overlap. He proved far more than AG when he moved, is probably a better player still currently despite having struggled to establish himself in the prem.

But I also think its important to note that even if Gordon kicks on and doubles this evaluation, the funds he could generate considering the timeline it might take to establish himself at that value, might make the deal still worth it to Everton right now. Advocating for this deal is not predicated in doubting Gordon's quality as much as it is a calculation on the offer itself in relation to his current value, and the funds he would generate being more valuable to us then he is in isolation.

I like Gordon, but considering the lack of sell on potentials to generate funds currently on the squad, the opinion that we can reinvest with similar upside quality over multiple positions from this return (and that being ultimately necessary), the risk that his value could decrease based on the Chelsea offer which IMO is inflated, all point to me the sale being wise at this number and for our predicament.

The clubs circumstance is far more informative than Gordon is himself, in believing this would be good business.

Think £50m is too good to turn down. But there's definitely a chance that in a couple of years he'll be a beast and we'll regret it. I love his fearlessness and he scored some wonder goals at youth level but hasn't been able to recreate that at this level yet, if he does he'll be some player.

That may be true. Personally the interesting comparison w/ Chelsea is Ziyech considering the style and mercurial overlap. He proved far more than AG when he moved, is probably a better player still currently despite having struggled to establish himself in the prem.

But I also think its important to note that even if Gordon kicks on and doubles this evaluation, the funds he could generate considering the timeline it might take to establish himself at that value, might make the deal still worth it to Everton right now. Advocating for this deal is not predicated in doubting Gordon's quality as much as it is a calculation on the offer itself in relation to his current value, and the funds he would generate being more valuable to us then he is in isolation.

I like Gordon, but considering the lack of sell on potentials to generate funds currently on the squad, the opinion that we can reinvest with similar quality over multiple positions from this return (and that being ultimately necessary), the risk that his value could decrease based on the Chelsea offer which IMO is inflated, all point to me the sale being wise at this number and for our predicament.

The clubs circumstance is far more informative than Gordon himself is to believing this would be good business.
Agree with what you've written; I feel more confident in Lampard and Thelwell to spend the money well by bringing in 2/3 players who can make an impact immediately.

It is weird, but then Chelsea, Spurs and Newcastle all want him. Pep Guardiola praised him too, and Frank Lampard is talking about building a team around him.

He's come into a really, really, desperately poor Everton team. Has that hindered him? Or did it help him get the game time and exposure?

Either way, I've said on here for a while that I think we give him too much responsibility and think that ideally, he should be a squad/impact player.

Those saying don't sell him at £50m, what price would you sell him for?

In a settled, confident side, playing solely out wide I think he could be great. Right now, situation we're in, sticking him up front and expecting loads it's just too much too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.