2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m actually comfortable that he didn’t start last night, we were garbage in that first half, he couldn’t have turned that tide on his own , even Gray looked poor. I believe he could “ last” 90 mins , but I’m not sure he can keep up the intensity he showed when he came on for a whole 90 mins .
He‘s looking better and better with each appearance, but we’ve seen this with our youngsters over the years , we fail to convert them into regular PL players . Gordon of course plays his part but it really is the job of Benitez and his first team coaches to make sure he makes the step up to regular 1st team.

Lad needs to be starting over Iwobi, end of.

Is just technically better than Iwobi, on the ball and off the ball. The era of 'protecting' young players or 'easing them in' is long gone. These days the kids have the mentality to play every game and are fearless. If he's good enough, play him imho

I’m actually comfortable that he didn’t start last night, we were garbage in that first half, he couldn’t have turned that tide on his own , even Gray looked poor. I believe he could “ last” 90 mins , but I’m not sure he can keep up the intensity he showed when he came on for a whole 90 mins .
He‘s looking better and better with each appearance, but we’ve seen this with our youngsters over the years , we fail to convert them into regular PL players . Gordon of course plays his part but it really is the job of Benitez and his first team coaches to make sure he makes the step up to regular 1st team.
Agreed. The most important thing is he continues to get the minutes every game and becomes more used to the pace, intensity and responsibility of being on the pitch. Starting every game will burn him out, especially in the rut that we seem to be in at the moment.

I don't know if he'll ever become a top player, but for me he definitely has the pace and technical ability to become an asset to the team, even if he doesn't crack the starting 11 every week. Confidence is the only thing that I think will hold him back, but he seems to be getting more believe in himself the more he plays.

Has to be given a start on Sunday. Don't care who for, he deserves a start so any one of the other 7-8 players who were a disgrace on Monday can be dropped.
I agree, but a lot of people are saying we need 3 in midfield. To cover the lose of Doucoure. But playing tom Davies is a waste of time for me. Play delph with Allan and play a front 4. I’d rather us go after Spurs and fight fire with fire.

They look poor defensively, Conte has switched to 3 CB’s straight away and it looked like they played their best 11 available last night, so 2.5 days rest and a new system.

I agree, but a lot of people are saying we need 3 in midfield. To cover the lose of Doucoure. But playing tom Davies is a waste of time for me. Play delph with Allan and play a front 4. I’d rather us go after Spurs and fight fire with fire.

They look poor defensively, Conte has switched to 3 CB’s straight away and it looked like they played their best 11 available last night, so 2.5 days rest and a new system.

We could play 433 Delph, Allan and Townsend who I thought done great when he went there in Monday. Have Richarlison up top, Gordon left, Gray right. Gbamin needs minutes, maybe he would look better in a 3 and that would be a bit easier for him.

Real good point. The senior pros in that team are all over the place and team barely functioning, in fact flat out aren’t functioning. Starting a young lad in that chaos could easily do more harm than good. As you say, he couldn’t have made a difference to that shambles and if he had started we’d have fans saying “not good enough, another overrated youngster blah blah…” - damages his confidence. Lucky escape he wasn’t starting last week

Looks like he’s gone up a level but manage him carefully this season.

We could play 433 Delph, Allan and Townsend who I thought done great when he went there in Monday. Have Richarlison up top, Gordon left, Gray right. Gbamin needs minutes, maybe he would look better in a 3 and that would be a bit easier for him.
Yes that could work but I would play delph instead of Gbamin.

I've gone from thinking he would be loaned out and eventually leave in a few years time to thinking he has a future here and can be important for the squad this season.

Hope he gets off the mark soon, I think that'll give him confidence and make him relax more.

I would start Delph and then when he is blowing give Gbamin the last half hour, Gordon is a defo to start he has to be. Although being as old as I am and having seen it all before with our beloved club I hope he is not another of the ilk of Tom Davies et al (one good game in 30)

He reminds me of of young Steve Mcmanaman [,second biggest blue in Bootle] in the way he moves and eats up the ground when he runs.

Our only hope this, lets face it we will concede two minimum, have to get after them as they are fragile at the back also, however I don't think this idea will come into Benitez thinking unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.