2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lack of effort was worrying Newcastle or Spurs may have turned his head a bit, never seen him play a half hearted game like that before, plus he certainly has not got that powerful shot Bowler has ..... we chased after Bowler at QPR to beat four clubs to him, we won the under 23s when he was a star player - not given any games in the first team - we gave him to Blackpool losing money on fees & wages - Everton that - he may not make the grade, but we just get rid of promising players & sign rubbish .....

Gordon will do better than that, but if some offered 45 million I would get rid - if his attitude was like yesterday ..... worst game I have seen him play TBH .....
Bowler spent a lot of the time with us injured mate, he was in/out of the team a lot. Another thing that was often noted with him was despite the obvious skill/talent level he wasn't much of a team player, it was very much about him a lot of the time.

Has anyone in an Everton shirt in the last 20-30 years terrorised a Liverpool defence as much as 21 year old Gordon did in the Anfield Derby last season? I can't remember it. Could have won us a penalty that day too. Kanchelskis in 95 is all I can think of.

Obviously his end product needs to improve and his poor corner taking is outrageous but I can't believe some want to write off a player so young and one that has come up through our system.

I imagine some will want to reply and say we still lost the Derby and his end product was still lacking but it's one example where he has put other established Everton players to shame over the years who played a similar position - Pienaar, Arteta, Mirallas, Richarlison (admittedly a nice finish in the crowd-less Derby win the other season) in terms of showing courage and taking it to them in a tough situation.

If he is still 23-24 with the same end product then I think the comments would be justified.

He was also one of the hardest workers last season.

People are now expecting AG to win games on his own and if he doesn't do that then he is useless.

Last season finished about two months ago, he is still a young lad learning the game who now has far higher expectations on his shoulders.

We need another wide player who can share the load with him.
I'm not sure that's true to be fair. He's a proper first team player for us and with that comes the expectation that you'll play your part. In his position that inevitably means there's an expectation that he'll get goals and assists, it's hardly unfair. What probably doesn't help him is the insistence that everything's just going to click and he's going to be great, because people just get impatient waiting for it to happen. He did well last year and deserves his place in the side at the moment, whether he's got it in his locker to step up another level in future we'll just have to wait and see.

People are now expecting AG to win games on his own and if he doesn't do that then he is useless.

Last season finished about two months ago, he is still a young lad learning the game who now has far higher expectations on his shoulders.

We need another wide player who can share the load with him.
Yeah I don't think people are expecting him to win games, but I think it's fair to expect him to do something, anything.

Last edited:

He needs to do more of what Alli did yesterday and on Wednesday (even though he missed a sitter). He needs to get into the 6 yard box if he wants to score more goals. He tends to watch the play develop a bit much for me. If he does it, he will get more goals.

He's going to be very inconsistent and require patience. We have a mismashed squad of players that suit different styles and formations unfortunately. We really need new midfielders so we can be more tactically fluid and help our better players succeed.

Has anyone in an Everton shirt in the last 20-30 years terrorised a Liverpool defence as much as 21 year old Gordon did in the Anfield Derby last season? I can't remember it. Could have won us a penalty that day too. Kanchelskis in 95 is all I can think of.

Obviously his end product needs to improve and his poor corner taking is outrageous but I can't believe some want to write off a player so young and one that has come up through our system.

I imagine some will want to reply and say we still lost the Derby and his end product was still lacking but it's one example where he has put other established Everton players to shame over the years who played a similar position - Pienaar, Arteta, Mirallas, Richarlison (admittedly a nice finish in the crowd-less Derby win the other season) in terms of showing courage and taking it to them in a tough situation.

If he is still 23-24 with the same end product then I think the comments would be justified.

He was also one of the hardest workers last season.

He had a decent game but I’m not sure terrorise is the word. That would suggest he scored or created a chance.

Bowler spent a lot of the time with us injured mate, he was in/out of the team a lot. Another thing that was often noted with him was despite the obvious skill/talent level he wasn't much of a team player, it was very much about him a lot of the time.
He got injured when he went on loan to Middlesborough as an understudy to a winger named Bowen now at West Ham - so a left footed winger plied his trade on the right wing he picked his bad injury up there....stupid loaning him out imo.....

It's gonna click eventually, the moment this lad finds that end product and it becomes natural to him he'll be a world beater.

Not sold, he is miles off where Barkley was at the same age and Barkley never went on to get close to a world beater.

personally I think he is just more of a nuisance in games than anything else. not a real threat to any team and doesn't look like a natural finisher. Works hard but I still don't think he should be a starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.