2019/20 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gordon DCL Kean Richarlison. Can’t remember the last time Everton had such pace and power in attack. Contrast with any front line we put out involving Siggurdson Rooney Sandro Tosun or Bernard.

With all 4 19-23 as well. We now need to replicate that in other areas to grow over the next few seasons

Gordon wouldnt have got a start unless Ancelotti believed in him which is exciting.

Just as long as y'all know I called him tosh first.
In fairness to you I do remember when 16 year old Rooney missed that sitter in front on the Gwladys Street , you called him out saying he’d never play 100 games for us and you were right . I’m in negotiations with the GOT hierarchy to get my “ Thread sponsorship “ money back now my eyes have been opened.

Gordon DCL Kean Richarlison. Can’t remember the last time Everton had such pace and power in attack. Contrast with any front line we put out involving Siggurdson Rooney Sandro Tosun or Bernard.

We are very well set up to playing on the counter attack. Yet successive managers have wanted us to push a high line, have high possession and try to control games. Is it any wonder when weve made that change we have seen success?

I'd also throw in Iwobi to the above as well. Not everyone cup of tea but undoubtedly carries the ball well.

We are very well set up to playing on the counter attack. Yet successive managers have wanted us to push a high line, have high possession and try to control games. Is it any wonder when weve made that change we have seen success?

I'd also throw in Iwobi to the above as well. Not everyone cup of tea but undoubtedly carries the ball well.

it’s become a very modern idea largely based on some of Pep’s teams, this idea that you can completely control the ball thus stopping the opposition from having it and ensuring you win. It can work if you have some of the teams he has had but it evidently didn’t work for him at Bayern in Europe especially against Ancelotti’s Madrid. Everton need to get back to the basics of defending properly when it’s time to defend and attacking with pace and power when we’ve got the ball. Far too many counterintuitive messages recently from various different managers to these players complicating what is a simple game.

it’s become a very modern idea largely based on some of Pep’s teams, this idea that you can completely control the ball thus stopping the opposition from having it and ensuring you win. It can work if you have some of the teams he has had but it evidently didn’t work for him at Bayern in Europe especially against Ancelotti’s Madrid. Everton need to get back to the basics of defending properly when it’s time to defend and attacking with pace and power when we’ve got the ball. Far too many counterintuitive messages recently from various different managers to these players complicating what is a simple game.

You have two types of manager really. The first is a coach who has a specific style of play they want implemented that they take from club to club and stick to that approach. Pep, Klopp, Pochettino are all the best examples of this. The 2nd are more flexible managers, who will adapt to different approaches. Ancelotti, Mourinho etc are good examples of this.

I don't think it's a better or worse scenario, but I would say certain managers suit certain clubs. It also tends to be, more experienced managers tend to fall into the latter category.

I think we've needed a manager like Ancelotti, who is able to look at the squad, forget about how he wants to play and do whats best fr the team.Michael Keane, for example goes from looking like a championship player to an international player based on where you defend. The aforementioned 4 attacking players like playing on the break. We have developed an approach to suit the squad, rather than the other way. No amount of coaching will make Keane comfortable high up the pitch.

While it's controversial, arguably the best manager in terms of results of the last 4 was Allardyce, who was cut from the same cloth. Allardyce was incredibly dislikeable though, couldn't work under a DOF to a medium term plan and wanted to spend copious amounts of money on poor players, but I do think he was tactically flexible. He saw it was a poor squad, and developed a plan to play defensively and try to nick games by the odd goal.

The thing is, Ancelotti is a much more likeable person and has won a lot more, so his pragmatism will be roundly accepted. And for where we are it makes sense.

Agreed, I think sitting deeper and counter attacking suits our stronger players in the squad and we should build around that.

It would be great if we could add someone on the right hand side that is in the same mould and similar age - 20-24, that can assist and get goals. Iwobi is doing ok, but doesn't look a natural player in this position and I think we need to improve in this area. Still Iwobi could be a very useful player against sides that sit deep, similar with Bernard.

You have two types of manager really. The first is a coach who has a specific style of play they want implemented that they take from club to club and stick to that approach. Pep, Klopp, Pochettino are all the best examples of this. The 2nd are more flexible managers, who will adapt to different approaches. Ancelotti, Mourinho etc are good examples of this.

I don't think it's a better or worse scenario, but I would say certain managers suit certain clubs. It also tends to be, more experienced managers tend to fall into the latter category.

I think we've needed a manager like Ancelotti, who is able to look at the squad, forget about how he wants to play and do whats best fr the team.Michael Keane, for example goes from looking like a championship player to an international player based on where you defend. The aforementioned 4 attacking players like playing on the break. We have developed an approach to suit the squad, rather than the other way. No amount of coaching will make Keane comfortable high up the pitch.

While it's controversial, arguably the best manager in terms of results of the last 4 was Allardyce, who was cut from the same cloth. Allardyce was incredibly dislikeable though, couldn't work under a DOF to a medium term plan and wanted to spend copious amounts of money on poor players, but I do think he was tactically flexible. He saw it was a poor squad, and developed a plan to play defensively and try to nick games by the odd goal.

The thing is, Ancelotti is a much more likeable person and has won a lot more, so his pragmatism will be roundly accepted. And for where we are it makes sense.

Agree with the majority of your post except the part about Allardyce being tactically flexible...it was the same negative dross every week regardless of who we played

Agree with the majority of your post except the part about Allardyce being tactically flexible...it was the same negative dross every week regardless of who we played

Agreed, but what I will say for Allardyce is that he put players in their correct positions and at least put out a balanced team (even if it was negative). Koeman’s 11 that season had Gueye Schneiderlin Klaassen in midfield and Siggurdson Rooney Sandro up front. No pace and no goals. Allardyce put Gueye holding and Rooney and Davies ahead of him in midfield. He then added Calvert a Lewin upfront and Lennon/Walcott on the right. All of a sudden we had a tiny bit of creativity in a settled midfield and we had a bit of pace up front. It was just enough to win enough home games required to see the job through. That team under Koeman the way it was laid out looked like it wouldn’t win a single game.

Agreed, but what I will say for Allardyce is that he put players in their correct positions and at least put out a balanced team (even if it was negative). Koeman’s 11 that season had Gueye Schneiderlin Klaassen in midfield and Siggurdson Rooney Sandro up front. No pace and no goals. Allardyce put Gueye holding and Rooney and Davies ahead of him in midfield. He then added Calvert a Lewin upfront and Lennon/Walcott on the right. All of a sudden we had a tiny bit of creativity in a settled midfield and we had a bit of pace up front. It was just enough to win enough home games required to see the job through. That team under Koeman the way it was laid out looked like it wouldn’t win a single game.

Yep. Still absolutely baffles me that we signed Rooney, Klaasen AND Sigurdson in the same window

Status
Not open for further replies.