2019/20 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Dowell was miscast a bit. The only exceptional thing he had was his passing and long range shooting. That's the beginning of a CM skillset. He'd have needed to develop the defensive side a good deal, but maybe he could have.

I'm not sure about that. Dowell has a great football brain. He takes up great positions on the pitch and could play one touch very well. I never really felt he was a great passer actually, he had a wand of a left foot sure, but as a youth player he played further up.

He should never have gone out on loan in Koeman's 2nd season in my mind. We needed depth and to me he did very well in pre-season. We will never know, and I think part of his issue is he doesn't carry the ball at pace, but he has a fair bit of ability, he probably needed a run at that point.

I'm not sure about that. Dowell has a great football brain. He takes up great positions on the pitch and could play one touch very well. I never really felt he was a great passer actually, he had a wand of a left foot sure, but as a youth player he played further up.

He should never have gone out on loan in Koeman's 2nd season in my mind. We needed depth and to me he did very well in pre-season. We will never know, and I think part of his issue is he doesn't carry the ball at pace, but he has a fair bit of ability, he probably needed a run at that point.
Regardless of position he was certainly stalled by not playing consistently at the key point of his development.

And to this point application as well. It always felt like Dowell lacked that drive to get the ball.
I remember Dowell playing in a pre season up in Scotland about four years ago and I thought he was going to be a star.
Since then he has gone backwards. I think he just doesn't work hard enough to play at a club in the top half of the Premiership.
He has the size, the skill, the vision, he certainly isn't slow but he can be totally peripheral in a game and that just cannot happen.

....good post. I like categorising a players ‘type’ by comparing them to one who is well known and McManaman is that type. As you know, I also believe the most talented don’t go on loan and are better off training with the first team coaches.

Gordon has a stock move (very similar to Coutinho) where he cuts in from the left and curls the ball into the top right hand corner. As a defender you know he’s going to do it but can’t stop it. I’m convinced he’ll produce one of those.

Otherwise known as "The Beagrie".

I don't think the difference between what Sigurdsson offers and what Dowell could offer with a few games under his belt would be that significant. If you could somehow sell Sigurdsson, integrate Dowell into to the squad on a fraction of the wages, and free up some wages/Transfer fund to be spent elsewhere, it could be a good thing. We all agree the squad needs a massive overhaul, and with the number of players being released, and the number of players who are not good enough and taking up massive wages, it could be a few of these players could help make up the difference, at least in the short term.

Working with Ancelotti and his staff could do someone with Dowells natural ability the world of good.

Gordon should be given as much game time as possible till the end of the season, this will help him develop & mature ready for next season...

Playing wide he would give us the pace for quick counter attacks with Richarlison & DCL backing him up....

We should nurture what we got as well as introduce some shrewd signings ready for next season & that includes bringing Beningingme into the team also more frequently...

Did well when he came on. Wish him the best as sadly it looks like Davies and Dowell aren't going to make it. Need some academy quality to come through!

I remember Dowell playing in a pre season up in Scotland about four years ago and I thought he was going to be a star.
Since then he has gone backwards. I think he just doesn't work hard enough to play at a club in the top half of the Premiership.
He has the size, the skill, the vision, he certainly isn't slow but he can be totally peripheral in a game and that just cannot happen.
I always feel like Dowell was born in the wrong era. Would have done well in the 80s I reckon, a la Le Tiss or someone. One of those languid types who didn't do much when we didn't have the ball, but always had the ability to pull some magic out of his hat, and you were more able to carry that type of player back then I think.

Fingers crossed we can get more out of Gordon than we have out of Dowell tho!!

Hopefully he gets 3 more starts before the end of the season to win himself a place in the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.