Andy Gray - Everton legend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

this what I mean though Joe in that he done enough for me in the short time here

league, cup, ECWC

and broke that fella's snotter in the semi against Bayern
Yes do not get me wrong its just the wording if you stated a great EFC no 9 then yes, but his career with us were in his twilight years , and he did fantastic - HK soon moved him on for Gary Lineker who had a fantastic season after in which we could have won the double alas sadly forgotten, hence no affection for Gary Lineker see my point - a Legend has to be up there with the greatest no 9s Dixie, Tommy Lawton - Golden vision - Joe Royle - Graham Sharp etc they stood the test of time to become Legends its just my opinion sometime the word legend gets branded to easy - Its like Big Dunc a great, but never a Legend imo.
Ball Harvey, and Kendall were all legends also in the 1980's Big Nev - Peter Reid - etc

Yes do not get me wrong its just the wording if you stated a great EFC no 9 then yes, but his career with us were in his twilight years , and he did fantastic - HK soon moved him on for Gary Lineker who had a fantastic season after in which we could have won the double alas sadly forgotten, hence no affection for Gary Lineker see my point - a Legend has to be up there with the greatest no 9s Dixie, Tommy Lawton - Golden vision - Joe Royle - Graham Sharp etc they stood the test of time to become Legends its just my opinion sometime the word legend gets branded to easy - Its like Big Dunc a great, but never a Legend imo.
Ball Harvey, and Kendall were all legends also in the 1980's Big Nev - Peter Reid - etc
how long you got to play for us to be a legend then Joe?

Yes for sure a legend, he was only here for a short period and some might say it wasn't long enough, but what he did in that period of time was phenomenal :)

As for his media work that has nothing at all to do with Everton and it doesn't take anything away from him. Lets be honest about this, how many players do we really know outside of football? We only know them as footballers so it is only really on that we can base an opinion of them.

Absolutely a legend.. Gray and Sharpe together in the 80,s were as good as Ball, Harvey and Kendall for inspiration.
You only had to see them together and you knew that either one or the other would provide the finishing touch to the brilliance of our midfield then, who themselves being Reid,Bracewell,Stevens and Sheedy were a class act.

Is Paul Rideout a legend?

@blue_aussie05

Probably not for me, despite his cup final winning goal.

The difference with Gray was that he was the catalyst, or one of the main catalysts, for our success in the 80s.

Did you ever see him play? If not, look at the video footage of him celebrating after a goal, any goal, not necessarily even one he scored. If he didn't score it himself, he was invariably the first one over to celebrate with the goal scorer. The affinity and connection he had with the fans was instant.

He was a definite legend in my eyes.

image.jpg

Probably not for me, despite his cup final winning goal.

The difference with Gray was that he was the catalyst, or one of the main catalysts, for our success in the 80s.

Did you ever see him play? If not, look at the video footage of him celebrating after a goal, any goal, not necessarily even one he scored. If he didn't score it himself, he was invariably the first one over to celebrate with the goal scorer. The affinity and connection he had with the fans was instant.

He was a definite legend in my eyes.

Spot on this, when fans talk about players "getting it", such a Tm Cahill, Andy Gray %100 got it, when he played for us he was one of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.