Andy Gray - Everton legend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a teenager during his time here and idolised him. can't remember any everton signing making a bigger or such an immediate impact

I agree, and I wasn't being argumentative. Was just trying to gauge how long is long enough at the club for a player to be seen as more than a club icon.

Fine friend, do not think it is merely a matter of how long a person is an Everton player for, but what has been achieved during their spell, their play and believe it or not after they cease to be an Everton player. There is also a certain feeling of affection or what ever one wants to call it, but it is rather intangible.

Sorry it is difficult to really put it into words. Perhaps others can put it across better than I.

What are people's memories of him as an Everton player?

He certainly was a vital piece in Howard Kendall's jigsaw, which enabled us to gain unparalleled success in the mid 80s. Is he viewed by people here as a club legend?

Has your view of him changed since you left and went to work in the media?

Discuss.
Nope

Was away at Villa 86 ? We were on the point of winning the league,and we were taking to Andy before the game,outside Villa park,one of the lads said "nothing soft today Andy (being afraid that he may scored against us) he had a laugh and said I miss Everton,and don't worry lads,you have the league sown up,I thought he was an o k fella.

Andy was the catalyst which sparked the mid 80s glory days.

A legend in my eyes.

And Block.....he was a guest color commentator for BT Sport at The Pit earlier this season.

Check out his reaction to the Jags equaliser......he more than makes up for the Slippy thing ;)

(For some reason it won't let me paste it right now.....look it up on YouTube :))

Will do mate, must have missed that... And if it's as good as you suggest, then he'll have gone a good way to redressing the situation visa vie Slippy.

Striker

49 league games
14 league goals.

If Gray is a legend then Jelavic must also be!

He scored 22 goals for us in 68 games (with 7 of those being as a sub) - in all comps

8 goals in 83/84 and 14 goals in 84/85 - around a 1 in 3 record isn't world beating, but isn't too bad.

But as I said previously, it wasn't necessarily about his goals anyway. His presence galvanised the club. I'd go so far as to say that if Gray didn't join us, we may very well not have achieved as much, if any, success during that same period

Don't be fooled. The commentary from the jags goal isn't real. In fact, I even think Michael Owen was the co-commentator

rs_418x279-140116123426-uDNqsKs.gif

I never listened to it at the time cos I don't, as a rule, watch the RS on telly, but I've heard Gray's antics since against olympiakos. That video of has goal at the Kop sounds remarkably similar ;)

Not sure I'd hold his commentary against him as it was his trademark on Sky to go over the top with enthusiasm. Granted it could be a tad irritating for us Blues when it was on a RS goal. His enthusiasm in the commentary box was symptomatic of his attitude as a player - absolutely committed and loved what he was doing.

The only thing that might not qualify him for legendary status was his short time with us, but that wasn't of his making. His contribution certainly would qualify him as his signing was the catalyst for us winning the title in '85 and what followed.

I can understand why some people are uncomfortable with the word 'legend'. But whatever word you use to describe his place in EFC history his contribution cannot be understated.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.