2021/22 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the passed ten years we have been picking atleast 2 players every week that are glaringly not good enough and leave you scratching your head. Millions upon millions to multiple managers to make these decisions.

We seem to have always carried players who are just not at the pace of the league Alcaraz Barry (after his first season) Siggurdson Williams Davies Gomes Bernard Tosun Keane Klaasen

Just all far too slow for premier league football and not good enough to make up for it like James was at times.

We seem to have always carried players who are just not at the pace of the league Alcaraz Barry (after his first season) Siggurdson Williams Davies Gomes Bernard Tosun Keane Klaasen

Just all far too slow for premier league football and not good enough to make up for it like James was at times.

Have you just included Gareth Barry in that list of totally average Premier League players???

:eek:

Have you just included Gareth Barry in that list of totally average Premier League players???

:eek:

From 14/15 he was for us. As soon as McCarthy got injured Barry was just exposed for legs in midfield and because he knew that he got deeper and deeper until he was holding hands with the centrebacks most games. Maybe not his fault as Martinez’s system left him massively exposed, but again, it’s managers having to design teams around players without any pace, we saw it last season when James’s lack of pace on the flank meant that Coleman was exposed so we had to change system again.

A premier league squad has to have the basic level of mobility to at least compete with the opposition before we even get into the question of player talent. People on here like to moan otherwise but you watch eve dry single team coming to Goodison now and they just don’t carry slow players at all unless they’re exceptional, but they definitely don’t carry multiple slow players right through the spine of the team. We just can’t expect to be a decent team when we start every game with a massive disadvantage.

The weekend was a prime example. You can’t wrestle games away from premier league opposition when your players are too slow to continuously keep possession and win it back. We got back into the game because we imposed ourself on Southampton, started to see more possession and then chances came. You can’t do that when you’re chasing shadows agaisnt any decent prem team already a goal up. Hence that silly stat going back 5 years,

Think he just means in terms of pace and speed, of which Barry was a snail. Superb footballer, however. Probably the best holding midfielder we've had in the last 10 years.

Fantastic player. He knew where to be before everyone else on the pitch. Even after his legs went, his football brain got him out of trouble.

I remember after he signed, maybe even in his first game, he made a decision to drop onto the goal line against Chelsea and mad a goal saving block. He was always one step ahead.

I'm sorry but I'm just not having him in a list along with the likes of Klassen and Tosun !! lol

From 14/15 he was for us. As soon as McCarthy got injured Barry was just exposed for legs in midfield and because he knew that he got deeper and deeper until he was holding hands with the centrebacks most games. Maybe not his fault as Martinez’s system left him massively exposed, but again, it’s managers having to design teams around players without any pace, we saw it last season when James’s lack of pace on the flank meant that Coleman was exposed so we had to change system again.

A premier league squad has to have the basic level of mobility to at least compete with the opposition before we even get into the question of player talent. People on here like to moan otherwise but you watch eve dry single team coming to Goodison now and they just don’t carry slow players at all unless they’re exceptional, but they definitely don’t carry multiple slow players right through the spine of the team. We just can’t expect to be a decent team when we start every game with a massive disadvantage.

The weekend was a prime example. You can’t wrestle games away from premier league opposition when your players are too slow to continuously keep possession and win it back. We got back into the game because we imposed ourself on Southampton, started to see more possession and then chances came. You can’t do that when you’re chasing shadows agaisnt any decent prem team already a goal up. Hence that silly stat going back 5 years,

I generally agree with all of this. But Barry was a top player and shouldn't be in a list with the likes of Klassen!

Pace and athleticism is crucial but Barry had one of the best football brains I've seen. But yes he had the right blend around him in terms of physicality and we always had the crucial out-ball with Lukaku in the side.

I generally agree with all of this. But Barry was a top player and shouldn't be in a list with the likes of Klassen!

When paired with Barkley and McCarthy yes. When paired with slower players he was just swamped most games which is one of the reasons we came bottom half twice in a row despite having one of the best strikers in Europe playing for us.

Pace and athleticism is crucial but Barry had one of the best football brains I've seen. But yes he had the right blend around him in terms of physicality and we always had the crucial out-ball with Lukaku in the side.

Barry is one of those players, that you wonder what all the fuss is about until he plays for you and then you realise just how good he is.

When paired with Barkley and McCarthy yes. When paired with slower players he was just swamped most games which is one of the reasons we came bottom half twice in a row despite having one of the best strikers in Europe playing for us.
Inbetween there is always a balance.

Time's up for Andre (I hope) as a starting XI player. Genuinely don't mind him as an option off the bench and a starter against minnows. Our midfield is sooo lacking pls send help

Time's up for Andre (I hope) as a starting XI player. Genuinely don't mind him as an option off the bench and a starter against minnows. Our midfield is sooo lacking pls send help
Yep. A technician and capable of being really good but this league isn’t really a place where his talents can be showcased in any meaningful sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.