2021/22 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
The season Silva paired him with Gana was The last time we had a good balance in midfield. Gana won all the ball and covered ground, Gomes is talented on the ball.

Fell apart when we let Gana go at the end of that season and then Gomes broke his ankle.

Hasn’t looked the same player since and has been given time and chances to get back to his level but hasn’t come close. Any semi serious football club would have done everything possible to move him on last summer. Of course, we didn’t.

Shame it worked out this way, there was a classy talented footballer in there - just not worked out here.
I agree with all of it apart from the part in bold, as I think we'll have been touting him all over but the simple case is nobody is prepared to pay anywhere near what he's earning in wages, thus both a loan and permanent move has been scuppered by him not lowering his demands. He's supposedly on over £110k a week with us, and even if we covered, say, 30% of his wages, that's still expecting to find a club willing to pay over £70k a week for somebody who has very clearly looked slow, cumbersome and basically out of his depth for several years. Then factor in a nominal loan fee on top of that...

And with regards to a permanent move, he'll know full well that nobody will pay what he's earning with us, so will happily sit back and enjoy an amazing life with us until his contract ends. He's fully within his rights to do so, too, which is a shame for us as he offers very little now.

I agree with all of it apart from the part in bold, as I think we'll have been touting him all over but the simple case is nobody is prepared to pay anywhere near what he's earning in wages, thus both a loan and permanent move has been scuppered by him not lowering his demands. He's supposedly on over £110k a week with us, and even if we covered, say, 30% of his wages, that's still expecting to find a club willing to pay over £70k a week for somebody who has very clearly looked slow, cumbersome and basically out of his depth for several years. Then factor in a nominal loan fee on top of that...

And with regards to a permanent move, he'll know full well that nobody will pay what he's earning with us, so will happily sit back and enjoy an amazing life with us until his contract ends. He's fully within his rights to do so, too, which is a shame for us as he offers very little now.
I always thought that was the reason we kept Morgan Schmederlin so long. What sane club could actively want him to stay after season on season of abject cowardice. Turned out when he eventually went to Nice, he did an interview and said he’d wanted to go the previous season and had an agreement with Nice but the Everton begged him to stay for one more season so he stayed as a favour.

Looks a bit different this season, Frank’s not played him pre season, reckon he’s definitely been told he’s not part of the plans.

As for the rest, agree, largely comes down to how much the club want for him and how much he wants to go and play football.

Honestly he was pretty poor before that and I'm quite sure many on here will agree. The injury allows people to look favourably on him and gets him a lot of sympathy, but he really did little before that other than a handful of very good performances. One great game out of 10 is never acceptable.

Yes you’re correct, he was terrible that season before his injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.