2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with this Andy. Such was the severity of the injury it's understandable that he's needed some time to recover, clearly a vast amount of talent still there. His partnership with Gueye was excellent.

I just cannot understand why the club insists on divesting itself of quality at the moment.

He was having poor performances before injury, but the latter half of last season was extremely bad.

I remember he was so bad against Villa when we lost to them on a Friday night. He literally couldn't run or find a man from 5 yards away. Sometimes players aren't suited to the pace and physicality of English football, and we have far too many who fall into that category. Doesn't always mean they are bad footballers, like with Gomes, but it doesn't mean we can accomodate them and be hard to play against either.

Pace, athleticism, ability to carry the ball forward, and finishing ability are what matters in this league. Old style playmakers struggle to find a place in the PL these days because the game is so fast.

Sorry but his form before the injury was wildly inconsistent.

Why is it people try and apply a lifetime tag to a player based on early performances and appraisals?

When we first loaned him he looked like a rolls Royce, brilliant. Towards the end of the loan we seen worrying performances which made the Barcelona criticisms seem applicable. But he had done enough to warrant the transfer.

Very likable fella but to say his injury is the reason he lost his way is wrong. With him it's mental just like Barkley.
I didn't say that.
I was simply pointing out that barely two seasons ago, he was thought sufficiently highly of to accumulate enough votes via the MotM polls to be the GOT Player of the Season.

When he first came I had RS supporting friends who were gushing over him. That doesn't happen often.

Whether he let his standards slip or the injury/constant turnover of managers did for him we'll never know. It's not easy to look decent in this team and he was asked to do the Gana role and that was never his bag. Easy to criticise but he at least has some excuse.

So many on here are so critical of a player who suffered a bad injury and who, barely two years ago, accumulated the most votes from so many on here to become the GOT Player of the Season.
He hasnt been the same since the injury. Really thought he was a very good player but has been poor esp last season. However he has something. And worth the risk if keeping and see if RB can get him back to form.

Undoubtedly a confidence player.

The injury kept him out for 10 weeks I think, and people are still using it as an excuse for his form 18 months on from him coming back.
Someone in here mentioned that he had one of his best games for us just after he came back from injury. Add that to the fact that he showed his best form when he was on loan to us, and it creates a very good argument that he struggles to handle pressure when there is an expectation to perform. It matches up with his experience at Barcelona. There’s a pattern of behaviour with Gomes.

Shame really. Like Bernard, another nice guy, but just like Bernard he doesn’t seem to have what it takes to succeed here.

1627038986753.png

imagine defending such a player.

He hasnt been the same since the injury. Really thought he was a very good player but has been poor esp last season. However he has something. And worth the risk if keeping and see if RB can get him back to form.

Undoubtedly a confidence player.

As has been pointed out in almost every post, he was having shockers long before the injury.

Get rid ASAP

When he first came I had RS supporting friends who were gushing over him. That doesn't happen often.

Whether he let his standards slip or the injury/constant turnover of managers did for him we'll never know. It's not easy to look decent in this team and he was asked to do the Gana role and that was never his bag. Easy to criticise but he at least has some excuse.
I think its both physical and mental with Gomes. After the break he lost a few yards and his confidence has been shot ever since. He was never the most effective but he could at least shield the ball and had a good passing range but the last season or two he has been painfully average. Nice fella but best to move on we need dynamism in midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.