2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was terrible tonight, as he has been many times this year. Constantly turns back towards goal and looks uncomfortable in possession. The amount of times attacks broke down due to his misplaced passes was unbelievable. He just doesn’t offer enough in any department, doesn’t drive the team forward, no goals, loses possession, etc. Can’t see him being around next year but Carlo does seem to rate him

Was terrible tonight, as he has been many times this year. Constantly turns back towards goal and looks uncomfortable in possession. The amount of times attacks broke down due to his misplaced passes was unbelievable. He just doesn’t offer enough in any department, doesn’t drive the team forward, no goals, loses possession, etc. Can’t see him being around next year but Carlo does seem to rate him
It's a bit awkward to say he was outright terrible, very frustrating at times giving the ball away but no worse than Doucoure who himself drove out of defence a number of times launching a counter attack, only to stop dead and play it backwards, or misplace it, he did some neat things defensively Gomez in some tight spaces and at times was the only one making an attempt at retaining the ball, I personally think Davies is the better option ATM but can't be too critical of Gomez tonight

It's a bit awkward to say he was outright terrible, very frustrating at times giving the ball away but no worse than Doucoure who himself drove out of defence a number of times launching a counter attack, only to stop dead and play it backwards, or misplace it, he did some neat things defensively Gomez in some tight spaces and at times was the only one making an attempt at retaining the ball, I personally think Davies is the better option ATM but can't be too critical of Gomez tonight
Fair comments, don’t think any of the the midfield looked great today. Feel Allen is key, just adds a calming influence. Also never thought we would miss Davis as much as we have. $27 mill on Gomes, I just feel we should get more ( don’t get me started on Iwobi! )

The most dispossessed player last night.
3 games most dispossessed player in a row.
3rd most disposessed player all season.
For a central midfielder it’s absolutely criminal.

All the starting midfield were poor last night. Gomes took the brunt of my frustration as he lost possession in dangerous areas on several occasions that against a different team could have led to goals conceded.
He also seems to float around with no real purpose, no burst of pace and tackles half arsed. He did have one shot last night and sliced it and I think it ended up with Bernard near the corner flag.
I’m trying to be balanced and one thing he does well is passes the ball out to the left flank reasonably well but not to the right weirdly.
Oh and he’s great at slowing the game down. (even when we don’t want to!!)
I’m not one for being overly critical normally but writing this feels like therapy.

Last edited:
People see what they want to see, especially with midfielders as that is where all the action is. Every midfielder, every single one, even KDB will give away stupid balls, misplace passes and get caught on the ball. The game can be that tight in the middle that it will happen. Tom Davies used to get slaughtered for it, last night Gomes played some decent fast balls forward, some went awry, some didn't, he certainly wasn't as dreadful as some here are making out.

I still like him, but like someone else said, he should be driving us forward.
Godfrey showed how to do it from the back, it adds a different dimension to the attack when you just power at them at times.

A good player in a dominant midfield but certainly not the player to make midfield dominant.

He did well enough last night but still looked slow and ponderous against a midfield and team that will almost certainly be relegated.

The difference when Allan came on was startling. We suddenly looked solid, compact and threatening all at once.

If we are to be a regular top four challenger I can't see Gomes being in the team.

Ashley Cole commented on it last night about players jogging around the pitch, I think Gomes was not the only culprit but he certainly was one.

People see what they want to see, especially with midfielders as that is where all the action is. Every midfielder, every single one, even KDB will give away stupid balls, misplace passes and get caught on the ball. The game can be that tight in the middle that it will happen. Tom Davies used to get slaughtered for it, last night Gomes played some decent fast balls forward, some went awry, some didn't, he certainly wasn't as dreadful as some here are making out.
I agree in that people are overlooking some of his decent play and some attempted decent play, but whilst sat as the deepest lying midfielder for 60mins he dictated our pace, which was horribly slow in the main. For whatever reason he’s become scared of taking the ball from the back 4 and actually turning rather than playing it straight back to a Keane.
when Allan came on Gomes improved a lot (as did we) as he was pushed further up and didn’t have that same responsibility

The most dispossessed player last night.
3 games most dispossessed player in a row.
3rd most disposessed player all season.
For a central midfielder it’s absolutely criminal.
The Southampton game, people in the match thread were giving him MOTM and praising him. He did in that game exactly what he did last night, and what your stats show. He needlessly was dispossessed. He's weak, finds the easy pass mainly, by turning back to the defence and seems to have no urge to do anything of note.

He's very lucky he's a fan fave, because so many praise him when in reality, against Southampton, his poor play could've led to 2 goals and last night the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.