2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
They clearly have no idea what a recovery is. Does it count when he gets his own over hit touch back?
He lost the ball constantly, give the ball and put us in real bad situations. The opposition player only has to move his eyebrow to deceive him and bypass him with ease
Opta records what a ball recovery is and trust me mate it’s not a stat to base anything off, don’t even know why they would tweet that when that account defo doesn’t understand what one is. It just means to have control of the ball again, so if a goal kick goes all the way through to the other keeper, he will get a ball recovery. Similarly West Brom could have passed the ball straight to him, he gets a ball recovery if he regains possession. It’s only really used to signal which team has possession of the ball for possession stats. Completely different to interceptions and tackles and by no means should be used to judge whether someone has a good game

(Gomes was really really bad tonight btw and our midfielders shouldn’t be getting overran by West Brom, can’t really afford a passenger in centre mid if you want to be top 4 consistently)

Opta records what a ball recovery is and trust me mate it’s not a stat to base anything off, don’t even know why they would tweet that when that account defo doesn’t understand what one is. It just means to have control of the ball again, so if a goal kick goes all the way through to the other keeper, he will get a ball recovery. Similarly West Brom could have passed the ball straight to him, he gets a ball recovery if he regains possession. It’s only really used to signal which team has possession of the ball for possession stats. Completely different to interceptions and tackles and by no means should be used to judge whether someone has a good game

(Gomes was really really bad tonight btw and our midfielders shouldn’t be getting overran by West Brom, can’t really afford a passenger in centre mid if you want to be top 4 consistently)

interesting, cheers

I get that many people like him as a player and I can see why. I'd love to get on board as I like him, but every time I get close to changing my mind he puts in a performance that is next-level bad.

He has been better this season on average than previous ones though. Probably due to the better team mates.

Cheers
I remember speaking to a opta guy few years back who said one of our players had an assist, when he had passed a short ball 40yd out and the player receiving it then scored a 30yd goal. That's clearly not an 'assist'.
I don't give much credence to most of these stats especially the ridiculous one shown tonight about Gomes when he clearly had an abomination of a game

He wasn't great tonight but certainly he wasn't as bad as some here are making out.

He was part of a midfield two versus Gallagher / Maitland-Niles / Yokuslu. He did pretty well, also considering Doucs seemed to be struggling with an injury. My biggest critique of him tonight was poor distribution (he wasn't alone in that regard) but he battled well and won some important balls.

The thing I don’t understand is how extreme his performances are from week to week.

Usually players are playing well or not playing well over a period of time, weeks/months.

He’s completely bi-polar from week to week.

The thing I don’t understand is how extreme his performances are from week to week.

Usually players are playing well or not playing well over a period of time, weeks/months.

He’s completely bi-polar from week to week.
maybe a settled midfield will help him, but then you have to think will he get in when all players fit

I mean if he made the same mistakes against Chelsea, as he did tonight against West Brom, Id be interested to see the reaction on this thread.
If you give the ball away on the edge of the box multiple times, you’re going to get punished.

His passing was well off, but he did do some good things, but mucking round on the edge of our box and losing it, is dangerous football.

His passing and general play in the first half was absolutely terrible. Constant under-hit passes and either unwilling or unable to get back into position to win back possession. Still, he improved second half but he's a shadow of his former self. I wish he'd not bother shooting any more though because it's just letting teams off the hook when he blazes it miles over.

He had a reasonable attempt at goal in the second half. I thought he was about to get subbed and threw caution to the winds. But Doucoure went off and the rest is history.

Did not think he was that poor tonight. He will need to up his game against Chelsea if he is picked. Mind you, so will the rest of the team with one or two notable exceptions.
He was not that poor but we are playing west brom who have won 3 games all season and are crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.