2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
He improved yesterday as the game went on I thought.

But it seems so easy just to ghost up on him and rob him of possession, and keeping the ball is supposed to be one of his main strengths.

When he keeps it simple, its fine. But that's not enough. Anything more ambitious in the line of passing from him is either under or over hit, or finds an opponent.

We can also expect him to chip in with a few goals. Asking for 5 in a season from him seems like asking to win Euromillions, a complete pipe dream.

I never had huge expectations of him, but I lowered them in line with what I see, and I still end up being disappointed.

Well stated, noticed in talking of the midfield no mention of Davies or Siggy so reading between the lines you are satisfied with these players?
I don't know about satisfied but they've largely done as expected of them. Doucoure likewise has been ever present so you can't grumble with his contribution. Gomes, Bernard, and Iwobi have perhaps underperformed based upon their ability, while Allan, Delph, and Gbamin have not contributed as much due to fitness issues (I accept it's harsh to put Allan alongside those two, but you get my point). If James isn't in the side as well then we lack an awful lot of creativity, especially if our right back is essentially a centre back.

We have bodies in central midfield but they're punching below their weight at the moment.

He improved yesterday as the game went on I thought.

But it seems so easy just to ghost up on him and rob him of possession, and keeping the ball is supposed to be one of his main strengths.

When he keeps it simple, its fine. But that's not enough. Anything more ambitious in the line of passing from him is either under or over hit, or finds an opponent.

We can also expect him to chip in with a few goals. Asking for 5 in a season from him seems like asking to win Euromillions, a complete pipe dream.

I never had huge expectations of him, but I lowered them in line with what I see, and I still end up being disappointed.
He's never scored goals anywhere in his career. Strip out the goals he scored for Benfica B and he's got just 16 in his entire career.

Couldn't disagree more Zat. If we get Europe we'll need a bigger squad and he'll be important to us. We have nobody from the U23s ready to step up in that position yet
On paper we have 6 midfielders. That’s plenty for a European season.
but the caveat to that is delph is never fit and needs punting.

Gbamin is still a huge question mark, hopefully he’s back at the start of next season.

I think we need to buy a quality centre mid in the summer and have Davies and Gbamin 4th and 5th choice. And with Siggurdsson capable of dropping in, I think we could cope with selling Gomes. If his sales helps, wages Wise to bring in a much better player.

Hard to judge a CB under El Loco's management imo
No he was pants. He’s only played 9 league games for Villarreal in 2yrs. Has he been injured?

he was slow, constantly out of position. Would play 2/3 crazy passes every game. And also he wasn’t that good in the air defensively. The game West Ham came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2 at Goodison. He lost 3 headers around our box for all the goals.

All of the midfield had a poor first half and I think it was no coincidence iwobi, doucoure and Bernard were all brought off, it they’d been a fourth sub Gomes would of gone aswell tbh.
Gomes seems to be a central midfielder and gets exposed for pace if out left or right.

If we go with a 3 then we need 6 players...

Doucoure
Allan
Davies
Sigurdsson
Onyango

We just need to sign one centre mid...punt Gomes and the others.

If Gbamin gets fit would you be prepared to consider him. At the minute we don't know if he was ever good enough and even if he was the injuries may have taken there toll. On the other hand we paid upwards of £25 million for him and there was once a guy called Peter Reid who started his Everton career with injuries he turned out ok!!

If we go with a 3 then we need 6 players...

Doucoure
Allan
Davies
Sigurdsson
Onyango

We just need to sign one centre mid...punt Gomes and the others.
Zat

Onyango is at least 18 months away from being ready for Premier or European football. So that would be 2 players we need to bring in. With the money Gomes is on we'd need to practically give him away. Nobody is paying money to take Delph of us and likewise Gbamin, at least until he has shown his fitness. We also need to bring in players better than Gomes. How much do you think that will cost. This is in addition to a right back, right wing, probably a back up attacker and quite possibly a keeper if we decide we've had enough of Pickford.

I will be the first too admit I have given stick but let's be honest here, this not the same player post injury. Real shame for him and us cos gomes before his injury was a lot better than now.

On paper we have 6 midfielders. That’s plenty for a European season.
but the caveat to that is delph is never fit and needs punting.

Gbamin is still a huge question mark, hopefully he’s back at the start of next season.

I think we need to buy a quality centre mid in the summer and have Davies and Gbamin 4th and 5th choice. And with Siggurdsson capable of dropping in, I think we could cope with selling Gomes. If his sales helps, wages Wise to bring in a much better player.
Agree Delph needs to go, if we manage to shift him that is. We may be stuck until the end of his contract next summer. Realistically we have a similar problem with Gbamin. I'm still hopeful he may come good for us, and maybe even be the defensive midfielder we crave if it allows us to play with attacking full backs. But equally he may not, in which case he'll be very difficult to offload.

You and I disagree on Gomes. You think he's crap. I don't. I think he has a lot of very good qualities, had a very bad injury not too long ago, and needs to find more consistency. We've argued over him before, as we have Tom Davies, and I'd rather trust my judgment than yours tbh. Also, I just don't see anybody paying decent money for him, not when he's on such a high wage. Unless his form improves vastly in which case I would argue why would we sell him anyway. His form overall is much improved since the turn of the year and I feel there's more to come from him. Replacing him with a player of better quality will cost a lot of money.

We need to see how Gbamin progresses. If he doesn't, then we need to bring in somebody else to replace him and Delph, not Gomes.

I'm not saying never by the way. I just think what we are seeing is a development of the squad over a 2/3 year period. We have other issues that are more urgent and a limited budget with which to work. Maybe in 2 or 3 windows time I can see us bringing in an upgrade. Maybe Onyango or somebody else from the youth set up will have emerged by then.

Gomes was OK against WBA. Just wish he could shoot from outside the box. Mind you none of our players can, except maybe Siggy.

Gomes was OK against WBA. Just wish he could shoot from outside the box. Mind you none of our players can, except maybe Siggy.

Think they should get Godfrey to practice shooting from 25 yards. If he could power forward like he does & could hit a decent shot it would cause chaos in the oppositions defence.

Agree Delph needs to go, if we manage to shift him that is. We may be stuck until the end of his contract next summer. Realistically we have a similar problem with Gbamin. I'm still hopeful he may come good for us, and maybe even be the defensive midfielder we crave if it allows us to play with attacking full backs. But equally he may not, in which case he'll be very difficult to offload.

You and I disagree on Gomes. You think he's crap. I don't. I think he has a lot of very good qualities, had a very bad injury not too long ago, and needs to find more consistency. We've argued over him before, as we have Tom Davies, and I'd rather trust my judgment than yours tbh. Also, I just don't see anybody paying decent money for him, not when he's on such a high wage. Unless his form improves vastly in which case I would argue why would we sell him anyway. His form overall is much improved since the turn of the year and I feel there's more to come from him. Replacing him with a player of better quality will cost a lot of money.

We need to see how Gbamin progresses. If he doesn't, then we need to bring in somebody else to replace him and Delph, not Gomes.

I'm not saying never by the way. I just think what we are seeing is a development of the squad over a 2/3 year period. We have other issues that are more urgent and a limited budget with which to work. Maybe in 2 or 3 windows time I can see us bringing in an upgrade. Maybe Onyango or somebody else from the youth set up will have emerged by then.

My midfield 3 next year if we can get a right winger is
Allan DM Doucoure CM James AM

If Gbamin gets fit him and Davies cover Allan and Doucoure, Sigurdsson covers James and Gomes is 7th choice used mainly in Europe where games are a little more his pace.

If James is still the main RW we need a first choice AM

Delph I would loan out if we can't sell even if we have to pay half his wages we need him out the club as he is a potentially toxic player.

Onyango it is too early for him to be in the 7 but when we have 12 subs in Europe might be worth giving him little bits of games if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.