2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Immense improvement from the last game.
I don't really like seeing him go for challenges cuz he is a liability with the tackle. Especially if they get past him but he had a good few challenges this game.

Praise to God 1st then Carlo because what an improvement. Let's hope it sticks.

I don't think he played bad, The left foot pass was delicious and DCL should have reacted way better, He uses his body well and got stuck in, The way he goes about with the ball is just way too pedestrian at times. We have DCL and Richarlison two quick runners a simple fast ball is enough sometimes, I don't think he's the only one guilty of it but he plays a major part in it. Also he doesn't fit the role yesterday so I can't be too harsh.

He has become more consistent recently in a positive sense, but his upturn in form is by no means exceptional. He begun the season from a very low base in terms of what he contributes.

He is a tidy passer and uses his physicality well. But he lacks dynamism and contributes no goals, and little to no incisive passing that would lead to chances.

His speed of thought and movement aren't enough for the pace of the Premier League at the higher level.

Gomes isn't a player for me here over anything beyond the next year or so, at a push. I can't see him at a club that harbours ambitions of regular Champions League football and beyond.

I see him as an option to keep a game controlled for the last twenty minutes, when we are defending a lead.

Again though mate I think you could put any of our midfielders in that position and give them the same responsibilities he has and they would do well. He doesn’t really have much to do. He has Allan doing most if not all of the defensive responsibilities and Doucoure box to box working his bollocks off. All Gomes has to do is stay still and wait for the ball to come to him and then play it (usually sideways or backwards again).

This is his heat map from the game last night, as you can see he doesn’t really venture from that position. He doesn’t have to as everyone else is doing all the hard work for him.

86-CFA57-C-AEEB-41-C9-B752-88-D85-DBB5-B38.jpg
Ok I'll say that he has been better than our other options there including Siggy. I haven't seen Davies with Allan and Dule yet though I think hed do well and free up Duke a lot

Not sure I agree - think Tom has added some intelligent, probing passing and game management to his performances recently and could do the job Andre does, with a better engine and mobility - I think he would work well with Allan and the Duke.

Hope Andre continues to show this form, there is a real player in there, but l like a few of our lads he just needs some belief and consistency - hopefully the derby win and getting a win at goodison last night gives Andre and the rest that confidence!
Of course hopefully our players pick up the pace and we get up the table as high as possible. I want them all to do well for Everton.

He has become more consistent recently in a positive sense, but his upturn in form is by no means exceptional. He begun the season from a very low base in terms of what he contributes.

He is a tidy passer and uses his physicality well. But he lacks dynamism and contributes no goals, and little to no incisive passing that would lead to chances.

His speed of thought and movement aren't enough for the pace of the Premier League at the higher level.

Gomes isn't a player for me here over anything beyond the next year or so, at a push. I can't see him at a club that harbours ambitions of regular Champions League football and beyond.

I see him as an option to keep a game controlled for the last twenty minutes, when we are defending a lead.

Just to play devils advocate a bit here mate, but is there a world where Gomes's role gets simultaneously reduced in a better team but also his effectiveness grows.

For me he's a deep lying playing, probably in a 2, for a top team who dominate the ball. If he was at optimum level, that would be the role youd see him doing. He has all the passes in the book, can carry it from deep etc etc.

We have tried to use him in a more box to box sense, in a poorer team, and he's been up and down.

It's noticeable to me, in most of the of the big perfmances we have had, he has been good in them. I just wonder if we get more consistent if he might be a player who will get better too, but conversely with a reduced role in said team?

I think when he gets the ball and looks forward sometimes his options are limited to wide left or a ball over the top, I don’t see that attacking CM demanding the ball, or an option on the right. This doesn’t allow his range of passing to be used

I have to mention before I say anything that I'm biased. Because one, I like him and two, I'm rooting for him to get back to his absolute best.

Imho he needs to be given until the end of the season criticism free. If he has one/two bad games then so what? I'd imagine if we are going well then more often than not the performances he puts in will be fine. He offers a lot more than Davies can so we just need to be patient and hopefully as said above he gets back to level when he first came here on loan.

By the summer if he has done well then we may continue with him next season, if he is the weak link then we should probably be looking at a box to box midfielder that can tackle but also offer a bit of quality in the final third chipping in with assists and goals to replace him with. It would be nice if people can stop rounding on our players, we've seen with DCL, Davies etc. that they can improve and offer something when called upon. Presumably with another pre-season will be better again with no excuses not to know what Carlo wants from them.

I have to mention before I say anything that I'm biased. Because one, I like him and two, I'm rooting for him to get back to his absolute best.

Imho he needs to be given until the end of the season criticism free. If he has one/two bad games then so what? I'd imagine if we are going well then more often than not the performances he puts in will be fine. He offers a lot more than Davies can so we just need to be patient and hopefully as said above he gets back to level when he first came here on loan.

By the summer if he has done well then we may continue with him next season, if he is the weak link then we should probably be looking at a box to box midfielder that can tackle but also offer a bit of quality in the final third chipping in with assists and goals to replace him with. It would be nice if people can stop rounding on our players, we've seen with DCL, Davies etc. that they can improve and offer something when called upon. Presumably with another pre-season will be better again with no excuses not to know what Carlo wants from them.
Why though? I don't really understand the reasoning here.

Why though? I don't really understand the reasoning here.

Because we are always on their backs and we wonder why the crumple. They might be told not to go on places like here but I bet they do and even if they don't some madman will tell them on twitter or Instagram.

PS better for our health too.

Because we are always on their backs and we wonder why the crumple. They might be told not to go on places like here but I bet they do and even if they don't some madman will tell them on twitter or Instagram.

PS better for our health too.
Right. I mean i'm not sure why it needed to go in his thread in particular then, if you're just saying 'don't criticise the players'? Should make for a fun forum though, if we all just come on and say 'I think he is really good' and 'Yes, i concur with this statement'.

Right. I mean i'm not sure why it needed to go in his thread in particular then, if you're just saying 'don't criticise the players'? Should make for a fun forum though, if we all just come on and say 'I think he is really good' and 'Yes, i concur with this statement'.

That's going overboard. No one has to lie, the performance can be noted as not up to scratch if so, but just know there are reasons for this (like having your leg snapped off) and give him a run of games to either confirm or dispell their opinions.

That's going overboard. No one has to lie, the performance can be noted as not up to scratch if so, but just know there are reasons for this (like having your leg snapped off) and give him a run of games to either confirm or dispell their opinions.
By the end of the season he'll have been back for 16 months from an injury that kept him out for 3. I appreciate it can take a while to get back up to speed - leaving aside the fact he isn't playing any differently to how he did for the majority of the time before his injury - but I think asking people to let him go 'criticism free' for 15 months is a bit excessive personally.

He’s never 6/7 out of 10 consistently. He’s either 3/4 or 8/9. Never comfortably middling form recently. Either stinks the gaff out or lights the place up. That being said he’s definitely getting back to his old self pre-injury and I hope with Allan back he can replicate his best from earlier in the season. Full faith in him to do so

Status
Not open for further replies.