2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought he did pretty well. Kept things simple and played one really, really nice pass that Dom should have been switched onto.

But for me, if he goes off around the hour or 70 mins, there was another goal in it for us and we'd have had it much easier.

But all in all, a decent display.

I wouldn't say he's a player that doesn't put shifts in. We just know that, since that injury, there's something missing – that bite, bravery, that gives a player that half-a-yard.

When we need to keep the ball, he’s our best midfield option to do that. Quite a strong player so can hold players off and play out of a tight situation and can see a pass occasionally.
He’s not particularly good at anything apart from that sadly though IMO.
Don’t think he’ll be here next season and if he is, it will be off the bench.

Genuinely think Davies is far, far better on the ball than him.

Genuinely think Davies is far, far better on the ball than him.
Davies has got a lot better at that side of the game this season. Although over the last 5/6 weeks he's definitely stepped up to another level. He's been our best player full stop.

Do you think so mate? I don’t even think he is as good as that. He’s our 3rd most dispossessed player (via WhoScored) this season and he hasn’t played as many games as others. He was the 3rd most dispossessed player tonight. Sure someone put a stat up the other month saying he was one of the most dispossessed players in the top 5 leagues in Europe at one point.
He probably sees a lot more of the ball than most, therefore will be higher in stats relating to possession.

Starting to look like the player he was before the injury. when he first came back he was backing out of 50/50 balls not wanting to go in for hard tackles doesn't seem to be doing that now, massive improvement.

Playing well again, and starting to look fitter - workrate was good last night, and he was getting stuck in, so hopefully he's mentally over the leg break.

Think Tommy D is ahead of him now to start with the Duke and Allan, but Andres my first choice if any of them are out.

There’s a conversation to be had with this player.

On the ball, occasionally we’ll see a ‘worldy’ played forward with the outside of the boot or a chip into space that’s every striker’s dream.

But more often than not, there’s back-passing peppered with balls splayed sideways with the message: ‘over-to-you, mate, I’m not taking the responsibility’.

Off the ball, the ploy of standing close to an opposition player and with that player slightly forward when a team-mate is looking to make the pass, or, in the same scenario, waiting at distance to receive a pass with an opposition player in range and without attempting to make himself available are a mark of player who doesn’t want to get involved in play.

Why this is all too often the case with Andre needs addressing; going forward we simply cannot carry passengers.

Darned shame, really.

Playing well again, and starting to look fitter - workrate was good last night, and he was getting stuck in, so hopefully he's mentally over the leg break.

Think Tommy D is ahead of him now to start with the Duke and Allan, but Andres my first choice if any of them are out.
They do different task. Davies should be an alternative to Allan when he is rested. Gomes mainly distributing the ball and control the tempo of midfield.

Thought he did pretty well. Kept things simple and played one really, really nice pass that Dom should have been switched onto.

But for me, if he goes off around the hour or 70 mins, there was another goal in it for us and we'd have had it much easier.

But all in all, a decent display.

I wouldn't say he's a player that doesn't put shifts in. We just know that, since that injury, there's something missing – that bite, bravery, that gives a player that half-a-yard.
I agree with most of that but to be honest I thought he was much more involved last night , was decent in possession and even got stuck in.

He probably sees a lot more of the ball than most, therefore will be higher in stats relating to possession.

Sees a lot more of it, doesn’t do much with it and loses it a lot more than anyone else. He got involved a lot more last night and deserves credit.... but honestly if we want to progress he needs to be moved on. You could probably find a player who does what he does and pay them half of what we pay him in the lower leagues, he has very little outstanding qualities as a Premier League footballer and his consistency levels are atrocious. I could probably do the job he’s given in this team.

Sees a lot more of it, doesn’t do much with it and loses it a lot more than anyone else. He got involved a lot more last night and deserves credit.... but honestly if we want to progress he needs to be moved on. You could probably find a player who does what he does and pay them half of what we pay him in the lower leagues, he has very little outstanding qualities as a Premier League footballer and his consistency levels are atrocious. I could probably do the job he’s given in this team.
I have said the same, next season he will probably be sold or be off the bench.
We don’t get enough out of him overall, but he does have some qualities, he’s just not shown them enough and when he has a shocker, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

He's painfully slow, which doesn't always matter but does mean he shouldn't be in our long term plans. He also doesn't go in for tackles as full blooded as he did, which is understandable. He can do a job for now though.

whilst i do think he needs at least Doucoure and/or Allan's work rate off the ball to stop him becoming a liability defensively, I think he offers a better passing range than any of our other midfielders, and for me his performances have been better of late

I agree with most of that but to be honest I thought he was much more involved last night , was decent in possession and even got stuck in.
Yeah I think he played well.

Just feel that we needed more impetus and drive on the ball from about the 70th minute

Status
Not open for further replies.