2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was part of our 7 game winning streak at the start of the season alongside Allan and Doucoure in midfield. Hopefully the 3 of the, can hit the same kind of form in the run in to the end of the season

They do different task. Davies should be an alternative to Allan when he is rested. Gomes mainly distributing the ball and control the tempo of midfield.

Not sure I agree - think Tom has added some intelligent, probing passing and game management to his performances recently and could do the job Andre does, with a better engine and mobility - I think he would work well with Allan and the Duke.

Hope Andre continues to show this form, there is a real player in there, but l like a few of our lads he just needs some belief and consistency - hopefully the derby win and getting a win at goodison last night gives Andre and the rest that confidence!

He seems to divide people Gomes. I was amazed to see on a whatsapp group I looked at at the end of the game people were critical of him. They were as surprised I was impressed with him. I can imagine people getting frustrated with each other, but I'm not sure there is a right or wrong answer.

My viewpoint on why I thought he was good, was that I thought he was more physical. That tends to be a key indicator for me when he's playing well. He can hold players off and his strength supercedes the opponents speed. When he plays badly it doesn't and they nick the ball off him. He seemed to win some headers, get the ball back with tackles and use the ball well when he had it with a mixture of short and long range passing. That definitely helps the team as well, against a high press, as it gets us into positions where we havd 2 v 2's or whatever.

He was probably helped today that the right back who was on his side was Bednarek who's a bit of a lump, while the week before he had Arnold who was just too mobile for him.

There are ups and down, but since the Burnley away game in December for me he has been quite consistent. As with most of our squad if someone came in with a good offer he can go, but I don't see that happening. He has a role to play in the squad, and I hope he can continue his improvement. He ticks the ball over well.

Here is a thought

He has been good in a midfield of 3 with Allan and Doucoure

And so have we. I venture to say we have a good winning percentage with that midfield.

Here is a thought

He has been good in a midfield of 3 with Allan and Doucoure

And so have we. I venture to say we have a good winning percentage with that midfield.

I think he’s been good in that midfield 3 as he doesn’t even have to do much really. He doesn’t have to venture up feild, doesn’t have to drop deep, he can just sit and get the ball and make simple passes sideways or long balls sideways which is what he does typically. Yes he got stuck in a lot more last night but he doesn’t do it enough. He’s pretty much a passenger for most games he plays. A midfield of Davies, Allan & Doucoure is the way to go forward.

I thought he done well last night although long term he isn't good enough as a starter in his role of being the "creator" of the midfield 3.

Doesnt pass forward anywhere near enough for that role.

I think he’s been good in that midfield 3 as he doesn’t even have to do much really. He doesn’t have to venture up feild, doesn’t have to drop deep, he can just sit and get the ball and make simple passes sideways or long balls sideways which is what he does typically. Yes he got stuck in a lot more last night but he doesn’t do it enough. He’s pretty much a passenger for most games he plays. A midfield of Davies, Allan & Doucoure is the way to go forward.

Oh I agree on Davies, especially if James is playing.

Just saying Gomes has been good when playing with Allan and Duke.

Oh I agree on Davies, especially if James is playing.

Just saying Gomes has been good when playing with Allan and Duke.

Again though mate I think you could put any of our midfielders in that position and give them the same responsibilities he has and they would do well. He doesn’t really have much to do. He has Allan doing most if not all of the defensive responsibilities and Doucoure box to box working his bollocks off. All Gomes has to do is stay still and wait for the ball to come to him and then play it (usually sideways or backwards again).

This is his heat map from the game last night, as you can see he doesn’t really venture from that position. He doesn’t have to as everyone else is doing all the hard work for him.

86-CFA57-C-AEEB-41-C9-B752-88-D85-DBB5-B38.jpg

I thought Gomes did well last night, I thought it was one of his better games.
But, I feel when he plays our midfield looks one paced and ponderous.

I just think he slows everything down too much and when he plays we lack any speed or tempo.

We are happy today because we won, but if the game ended in a draw as it easily could have done I feel there would be a very different tone on here today about Andre Gomes.

Southampton were very poor but looked livelier, faster and more creative than us in midfield I thought.
Our goal came from a long ball from Pickford and in truth against a poor team we really didn't look like scoring again.

I must've watched a different game. Don't get me wrong, a vast improvement and hopefully the start of him getting better. But how often I saw him turn to pass sideways or backwards, when there was a clear forward pass or space to run into.

Then the most worrying aspect for me was how often he didn't challenge and win it or most importantly, how often he left their right winger wide open. They almost scored from him giving it away and not tracking the man.

He was very lucky we played such a poor side imo. The praise seems well over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.