2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guimaraes, Camavinga and/or Kamara.

I wonder how much Ancelotti values Gomes. Catch 22 with him Sigurdsson and James all able to play that role...and hes the worst of the 3.

He's a bit like Osman you can see he's got ability but he just seems to lack something and we can't even play him out wide.

Ancelotti must like him a bit as he started the season with him but I think he's realised he's not compatible with a lot of his formations.

Guimaraes, Camavinga and/or Kamara.

I wonder how much Ancelotti values Gomes. Catch 22 with him Sigurdsson and James all able to play that role...and hes the worst of the 3.

Those three players have 2 goals between them this season, I would hardly consider them all-rounders.

As a 7th choice I'm sure we could pick someone up. I actually like Gomes but I think some of our systems don't suit him. In a 4-2-3-1 he would have a good chance of being Allans first choice partner but I think Doucoures extra pace just edges him out. I don't think he can play in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. If we played 3-4-3 maybe get away with him in there.

7th choice!? Gomes has played 20 league games and starts in a midfield 3 when everyone is fit. He definitely can play in a 4-3-3, that's probably his best position as it gives him less defensive responsibilities.

He's a bit like Osman you can see he's got ability but he just seems to lack something and we can't even play him out wide.

Ancelotti must like him a bit as he started the season with him but I think he's realised he's not compatible with a lot of his formations.

Yeah, i think he only looks passable in a 3 with 2 of Doucoure,Allan, Davies there.

Everything else he looks pretty dreadful.

The wolves one was his running away from goal and getting to the ball and swinging in to a dangerous area by wrapping his left foot around it

You called it a very good assist , that’s a siggurdsson and James ball through to Richar
I'm getting bored now. I'm not getting into arguments on what makes a good assist. Let's just disagree on the lad.
One window
Brands doesn’t spend in January, most clubs don’t.

So every club should get rid of anyone with a broken ankle, because it takes 4/5 years to recover from apparently
Don't think you even read my post on the injury if that's all you can come up with.

Those three players have 2 goals between them this season, I would hardly consider them all-rounders.

7th choice!? Gomes has played 20 league games and starts in a midfield 3 when everyone is fit. He definitely can play in a 4-3-3, that's probably his best position as it gives him less defensive responsibilities.

Since when was scoring goals a reflection of being a good all round player ?

All three of them have been used centrally this season but are natually defensive e.g Camavinga/Guimaraes were defensive midfielders before this season and Kamara was a defender.

Any of those players would be a great addition to the team.

Your response to @messymascot regarding Gomes playing 20 games...

12 starts...13 games worth of minutes.

If Gbamin was fit this would be my order next season.

1 Doucoure
2 Allan
3 James/ or new signing if James stays RW

That would be the starters

4 Davies
5 Sigurdsson

They would be subs

6 Gbamin or a replacement if he is still broken
7 Gomes

He has played so many games because of injuries. He started the season in the team but has been in and out a lot when there have been options.

We've lost just TWO of the ELEVEN league games that Gomes has started. That was Fulham and Newcastle which were both ballsed up formations where we played four centre mids.

Doesn't deserve the criticism he's been getting. Wasn't great last night first half, looked better as Allan came on and was very good against Southampton previously.

Genuinely interested why you thought he was "great first half" yesterday ?

To me he looked like he was trying hollywood passes and backwards to the defence and letting players go past him.

Second half much the same until Allan came on and he started making short progressive passes

Since when was scoring goals a reflection of being a good all round player ?

All three of them have been used centrally this season but are natually defensive e.g Camavinga/Guimaraes were defensive midfielders before this season and Kamara was a defender.

Any of those players would be a great addition to the team.

Your response to @messymascot regarding Gomes playing 20 games...

12 starts...13 games worth of minutes.

A good 'all round' midfielder would be expected to add goals. You've compared Gomes to three defensive minded midfielders, who're obviously going to be more adept at those duties than him.

If Gbamin was fit this would be my order next season.

1 Doucoure
2 Allan
3 James/ or new signing if James stays RW

That would be the starters

4 Davies
5 Sigurdsson

They would be subs

6 Gbamin or a replacement if he is still broken
7 Gomes

He has played so many games because of injuries. He started the season in the team but has been in and out a lot when there have been options.

James isn't a CM and how can you honestly put Gbamin above Gomes?? Based on what?
Genuinely interested why you thought he was "great first half" yesterday ?

To me he looked like he was trying hollywood passes and backwards to the defence and letting players go past him.

Second half much the same until Allan came on and he started making short progressive passes

Read it again mate. I said 'wasn't great' first half.

A good 'all round' midfielder would be expected to add goals. You've compared Gomes to three defensive minded midfielders, who're obviously going to be more adept at those duties than him.

James isn't a CM and how can you honestly put Gbamin above Gomes?? Based on what?

Read it again mate. I said 'wasn't great' first half.

We need a goalscorer in there and he has played number 10. However I would probably leave him RW and look for a player that fitted the requirement of 10-15 goals a season. Sigurdsson scored 13 in his 2nd season so these players exist. Gomes has 1 goal in 70 games so doesn't even score a goal per season. All the great teams have a midfielder who chips in with a good chunk of goals.

We need a goalscorer in there and he has played number 10. However I would probably leave him RW and look for a player that fitted the requirement of 10-15 goals a season. Sigurdsson scored 13 in his 2nd season so these players exist. Gomes has 1 goal in 70 games so doesn't even score a goal per season. All the great teams have a midfielder who chips in with a good chunk of goals.

I get where you're coming from, but Gomes doesn't play as advanced as Sigurdsson or James. Yes his goal output is poor, we need more from him, but how many proper CM's are scoring 5-10 goals a season? The only ones doing it from open play in the league this season are Soucek and Tielemans who're both key players for their respective teams.

Sorry what?

He's got a cutting edge pass that probably only James could better in the team. The amount of times he's set up an attack with a long ball to find Digne or someone else going forward too. Perhaps went a bit over the top by calling him one of the most influential.

I get where you're coming from, but Gomes doesn't play as advanced as Sigurdsson or James. Yes his goal output is poor, we need more from him, but how many proper CM's are scoring 5-10 goals a season? The only ones doing it from open play in the league this season are Soucek and Tielemans who're both key players for their respective teams.

He's got a cutting edge pass that probably only James could better in the team. The amount of times he's set up an attack with a long ball to find Digne or someone else going forward too. Perhaps went a bit over the top by calling him one of the most influential.

He doesn’t really ever create any chances though does he? He occasionally pings a diagonal out to Digne. If he’s got this amazing range of passing I’m disappointed at how little he shows it.

As for his goal output, we’re not expecting him to hit 5-10 goals. If he scores once in a season though it would be seen as a massive shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.