2019/20 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the basis of the last two seasons I wouldn´t be happy going into next season with him as a starter every game. He needs downgrading to a squad player if we´re serious about moving up the table. So inconsistent.

Been poor since the restart but I’m prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt given he’s not long back from a serious injury.

I think people are going a bit overboard with some of the criticism today. He's clearly still off the pace (and maybe he'll never get that back) but there were moments today where you could see his quality. Not enough moments but compared with Davies......

I think people are going a bit overboard with some of the criticism today. He's clearly still off the pace (and maybe he'll never get that back) but there were moments today where you could see his quality. Not enough moments but compared with Davies......

In the last 10 mins of the game yesterday he stepped up and got an assist. I hope he can regain his full fitness before next season begins.

....along with Bernard, I’d say he’s really out of sorts but we’ve seen enough quality from both to see they can be useful squad members going forward.

Magnificent cross for the Walcott goal.

He never used to tackle tbf, but since the injury he doesn't even foul with his legs any more, if he can't pull them back they've got a free run on the defence

That said, creatively it was the best he's been for a while. 2 clear chances created, 1 assist

Remember when he dominated once in the derby, and should of scored? What happened to that player. Even pre-injury, he's been poor.

There were a few games when we first signed him that he absolutely dominated. Looked strong, used his body brilliantly to shield the ball even looked capable of driving with the ball and carrying it up the pitch. After that game at Anfield i was convinced he'd be off to one of the big boys in the league, a few red mates said the same thing to me.

Since then tho he has really struggled to recapture any of that form, not just after the injury but before it too. As others have said, most concerning is that when a player goes past him his powers of recovery are terrible.

He is still currently our best CM tho IMO and we shouldnt look to offload him this summer, maybe just downgrade to a squad player to play in the games where we're going to see more of the ball

Had a good last ten minutes where he pushed on and made two or three good chances, that's where he should be playing not deep where he looks slow and cumbersome. I think we need legs around him so he can push right on. I still think he is recovering from injury tbh

the last 10 showed what we want to see from him , more than we’ve seen in every over game since the restart . Still looks like me at full pace , which to be clear isn’t a good thing ,but at least it was a positive especially given his injury recovery process .

Can still pick a pass and has a good touch. Unfortunately he doesn't look physically up for it. The game passes him by to easily. If we are to get any use out of him we need a good ball winner alongside him. We have never replaced Idrissa.

This guy is just a prime example of a midfielder who can’t play midfield. A good player could figure out any position to play. People make excuses for someone playing in a two or three or four or whatever else. What on earth has happened to a centre mid? Remember those. Paul ince, Roy Keane, vieira, petit, Gerrard, even Barry Horne. Why these days they need to be a certain type of centre mid is beyond me. Just excuses for poor players.....

This guy is just a prime example of a midfielder who can’t play midfield. A good player could figure out any position to play. People make excuses for someone playing in a two or three or four or whatever else. What on earth has happened to a centre mid? Remember those. Paul ince, Roy Keane, vieira, petit, Gerrard, even Barry Horne. Why these days they need to be a certain type of centre mid is beyond me. Just excuses for poor players.....

Well yeah but they were all top players. It's not fair to just expect every modern centre mid to be as good as them and have a game as well rounded as them.

In the same era we had the likes of Stephen Hughes and Tobias Linderoth playing centre mid

Status
Not open for further replies.