2019/20 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's good on the ball but thats it really - slow, cant tackle, doesn't score or assist enough and not the most mobile.

Having a Gana type alongside him would help but overall if Carlo is going to stick with a 442 we need 2x monster box to box CM's imo.

He's a good squad player but that should be it imo.
Sounds to me like you just described Pirlo.

Agree with all this. Add alan ball and peter reid to that list. Now I'm dreaming!

And i tell you who's done it currently. And not on a fortune. Wolves. Im a bit jealous of their midfield. He just bought technically good players. Added a bit of pace like traore. Got them well drilled. and they can quite comfortably go away to any stadium and hold their own. Dont look like are just there to make up the numbers. Proper hold their own against so called better sides.

And i tell you who's done it currently. And not on a fortune. Wolves. Im a bit jealous of their midfield. He just bought technically good players. Added a bit of pace like traore. Got them well drilled. and they can quite comfortably go away to any stadium and hold their own. Dont look like are just there to make up the numbers. Proper hold their own against so called better sides.
Very true. Think a manager like Ancelotti can see were the weakness is and will sort it out. Fingers crossed again;);)

Id quite happily fill the squad with his quality. I could reel off players who were not quick but had quality on the ball. David silva. Pirlo michael carrick....
Get quality around them and they feed off each other.
First team i give you that one. Not a guarentee. But just fill the squad with his quality of play. Which he clearly has.
Agree with that. Technically he's excellent, and we need to increase the level of technical ability in the squad so that his level is the norm not the exception. His problem is that he doesn't really excel defensively or offensively, he's basically just a good footballer in the middle of the pitch. That's fine, but it means you have to be pretty much faultless at passing and keeping hold of the ball because it's all you offer. Someone like Gana for example could be sloppy in possession but cover every blade and make 10 tackles, someone like Barkley could infuriate you then bang one in the top corner, so it kind of elevates their performance. If Gomes gives the ball away a couple of times or gets dispossessed it basically means he's had a poor game because there's nothing to balance it out with.

Ancelotti has sold Schneiderlin and retired Siggurdson to the bench in favour of a half fit Gomes and Tom Davies. The bloke who moved Pirlo to deep lying midfield, put Seedorf Gattuso and Kaka round him, and got the best out of Modric and Kroos at Madrid knows what he’s doing with midfielders. I’ll leave it with him, but it’s clear that Gomes even at half pace seems to have more trust from Ancelotti than any other option we have.

Agree with that. Technically he's excellent, and we need to increase the level of technical ability in the squad so that his level is the norm not the exception. His problem is that he doesn't really excel defensively or offensively, he's basically just a good footballer in the middle of the pitch. That's fine, but it means you have to be pretty much faultless at passing and keeping hold of the ball because it's all you offer. Someone like Gana for example could be sloppy in possession but cover every blade and make 10 tackles, someone like Barkley could infuriate you then bang one in the top corner, so it kind of elevates their performance. If Gomes gives the ball away a couple of times or gets dispossessed it basically means he's had a poor game because there's nothing to balance it out with.
Spot on.
Hes basically a good 5 aside player.
1 goal, 1 assist in 40 games and hes conceded multiple goals through lack of tackles/tracking.

Someone compared to Pirlo. Please watch vids of Pirlo.At times he would play slow and pass easy and short when not much on. Then as soon as he was beyind half way everything speed up, he would hit pinpoint driven balls to cause the most damage and immediately move into space to receive it again. He was on a different level to Gomes. Gomes is our best technical footballer but he is way slower, has less quick feet, less aware, less mobile, less confident than all the best in his position.

Spot on.
Hes basically a good 5 aside player.
1 goal, 1 assist in 40 games and hes conceded multiple goals through lack of tackles/tracking.

Someone compared to Pirlo. Please watch vids of Pirlo.At times he would play slow and pass easy and short when not much on. Then as soon as he was beyind half way everything speed up, he would hit pinpoint driven balls to cause the most damage and immediately move into space to receive it again. He was on a different level to Gomes. Gomes is our best technical footballer but he is way slower, has less quick feet, less aware, less mobile, less confident than all the best in his position.
Gomes at his best is the game vs the kopites away last season. Driving through midfield over a short distance, dictating the tempo.

I'm not suggesting you are but just in case, try not to forget that this is a lad that's been through an awful lot in the last 7 or 8 months. He's clearly rusty. He's clearly fragile.

Keep seeing Pirlo comparisons and they're valid in the sense that toward the end of his career Pirlo, like Andre, pretty much only contributed in the middle third. The difference is Pirlo was somewhere in the top 3 of passing midfielders in the world and Andre is not that. To get away with that style you have to be far above what Andre has been so far.

Not that Gomes won't or shouldn't be a part of the squad going forward, but unless something changes drastically it'll be as a edge of the first XI player ideally and not a key contributor.

Keep seeing Pirlo comparisons and they're valid in the sense that toward the end of his career Pirlo, like Andre, pretty much only contributed in the middle third. The difference is Pirlo was somewhere in the top 3 of passing midfielders in the world and Andre is not that. To get away with that style you have to be far above what Andre has been so far.

Not that Gomes won't or shouldn't be a part of the squad going forward, but unless something changes drastically it'll be as a edge of the first XI player ideally and not a key contributor.

I love Andre, but even mentioning the name Pirlo in this thread is shameful.

Status
Not open for further replies.