2019/20 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are people forgetting that he’s not long back from a career threatening injury? He’s got talent. He’s not the fastest but on the ball he’s excellent.

he’s lacking the sharpness that comes from playing regular football.
I don’t think anyone’s forgetting that, but we shouldn’t fall into the trap of blaming the injury for everything. He has 1 goal and 1 assist in 40 games since joining. To put that into perspective, in his last 40 games for us, Gueye - who everyone said was awful on the ball - got 1 goal and 3 assists. He’s pretty poor defensively and not contributing enough in an attacking sense. He’s Definitely got talent (last year at Anfield was possibly the best I’ve seen an Everton midfielder look in the last 20 years) but he has very much flattered to deceive for me so far, and at times has been downright dreadful. Obviously he needs time to get fully up to speed, but games like last nights were a regular thing before the injury too.

There is not much in midfield around him tbf. Do think he is overrated. He struggles with the pace and power of the premier even before his injury. He is a good passer of the ball.
A couple of times last night dcl and kean broke forward at speed it was noticable that no midfielder had the energy or pace to get up to support them. Keane won a foul and dcl had a shot.
Not just gomes but our whole midfield lacks strength and energy. Not writing Gomes off yet. If we can get 2 strong energetic midfielders that may help him but he definitely needs to up his game

He's quality. And will show more quality if better midfielders are bought to play with him. Simple as that.

He's good on the ball but thats it really - slow, cant tackle, doesn't score or assist enough and not the most mobile.

Having a Gana type alongside him would help but overall if Carlo is going to stick with a 442 we need 2x monster box to box CM's imo.

He's a good squad player but that should be it imo.

He's good on the ball but thats it really - slow, cant tackle, doesn't score or assist enough and not the most mobile.

Having a Gana type alongside him would help but overall if Carlo is going to stick with a 442 we need 2x monster box to box CM's imo.

He's a good squad player but that should be it imo.

Id quite happily fill the squad with his quality. I could reel off players who were not quick but had quality on the ball. David silva. Pirlo michael carrick....
Get quality around them and they feed off each other.
First team i give you that one. Not a guarentee. But just fill the squad with his quality of play. Which he clearly has.

Difficult to come back from a long term injury like he had. If he gets a few games under his belt and then a pre season he’ll be back to form next season hopefully. He’s shown in the past he can go to places like Anfield and the Emirates and look like the best midfielder on the pitch so I do t think we should be writing him off just yet.

Looked world class at times here in Valencia.The Barcelona move and now the bad injury have taken a toll. Will he get back to his best? Sadly I doubt that he can in the Premier League.
Think a move to Holland/ Portugal before his stock drops too far might be prudent.

Id quite happily fill the squad with his quality. I could reel off players who were not quick but had quality on the ball. David silva. Pirlo michael carrick....
Get quality around them and they feed off each other.
First team i give you that one. Not a guarentee. But just fill the squad with his quality of play. Which he clearly has.
Agree with all this. Add alan ball and peter reid to that list. Now I'm dreaming!

Status
Not open for further replies.