2019/20 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small sample size for Tom but so far he and Gomes are the only midfielders in the squad who can pass forward but unlike Andre, Tom hasn't had any games where he looks like a league 2 player. Yeah I want to see Davies play because I think he can actually link the play and get the ball to Iwobi which is how we open teams up.

The other player who needs to play is Sidibe for the same reasons. We need to have forward passing players in the team. Did you see any consistent line splitting passes from Gomes, Delph and Coleman last night? I know I didn't and imo that is the biggest problem we have.

Davies has had a few stinkers in his time.

Gomes is a bit up and down, but hes a class act, he just needs to find his rhythm, settle down.

What I noticed in the first half is that the team looked like strangers, they looked like a team that hasnt played together before, nobody knew their roles. We need to start nailing down a proper formation and a stable team, its of course not easy with the amount of injuries we have and the form of most players, but going forward Delph and Gomes will offer us vastly more than Tom Davies.

Davies has had a few stinkers in his time.

Gomes is a bit up and down, but hes a class act, he just needs to find his rhythm, settle down.

What I noticed in the first half is that the team looked like strangers, they looked like a team that hasnt played together before, nobody knew their roles. We need to start nailing down a proper formation and a stable team, its of course not easy with the amount of injuries we have and the form of most players, but going forward Delph and Gomes will offer us vastly more than Tom Davies.
But neither Delph nor Gomes offer us a player who is able to make quick passes into forward players and when we don't have a player who can do that on the pitch we end up with endless passes going wide and our entire game isolated to the wings. I don't think Tom Davies is some kind of savior but he has a skill that we need badly and he should play because of it.

But neither Delph nor Gomes offer us a player who is able to make quick passes into forward players and when we don't have a player who can do that on the pitch we end up with endless passes going wide and our entire game isolated to the wings. I don't think Tom Davies is some kind of savior but he has a skill that we need badly and he should play because of it.

I just think you have this impression that TomTom has this amazing range of passing and im not sure where you have got it from to be quite honest.

If you want Hollywood balls you need the Viking.

Delph switched the ball a few times with his balls out wide to Digne, IMO, Delph and Gomes have a vastly better range of passing than Tom Davies.

I just think you have this impression that TomTom has this amazing range of passing and im not sure where you have got it from to be quite honest.

If you want Hollywood balls you need the Viking.

Delph switched the ball a few times with his balls out wide to Digne, IMO, Delph and Gomes have a vastly better range of passing than Tom Davies.
It isn't about range of passing at all. It's about where he tries to pass it to. Davies tries to pass it to the players in central positions and basically the rest of the midfielders are too conservative and elect to go wide instead.

If you took away anything that identified who the player was and just watched where Gomes passes went in the Brighton game it would be almost indistinguishable from the standard Schneiderlin performance. Yesterday Iwobi worked his socks off to get the ball and no one could consistently get it to him outside of Digne. If we are going to be a team that tries to build up with passing and not just lumping it long at a target man we need someone who connects the #10, and to some extend the wingers, with the deeper midfield and the only time that has happened this season is when Davies has done it.

It isn't about range of passing at all. It's about where he tries to pass it to. Davies tries to pass it to the players in central positions and basically the rest of the midfielders are too conservative and elect to go wide instead.

If you took away anything that identified who the player was and just watched where Gomes passes went in the Brighton game it would be almost indistinguishable from the standard Schneiderlin performance. Yesterday Iwobi worked his socks off to get the ball and no one could consistently get it to him outside of Digne. If we are going to be a team that tries to build up with passing and not just lumping it long at a target man we need someone who connects the #10, and to some extend the wingers, with the deeper midfield and the only time that has happened this season is when Davies has done it.

We are defo gonna have to agree to disagree on this point, we really are.

We are defo gonna have to agree to disagree on this point, we really are.
Yeah that's fine, I just look at the totality of our games and we've had one really top performance with creating chances and that was West Ham. I think that happened because we had three passers moving the ball forward in Davies, Sidibe and Digne. It also helped that Iwobi, Walcott and Bernard are all capable of finding space to receive the ball, but the deeper players did well. I hope we see a similar lineup again since it worked in that game.

Brighton was ruined by Sigurdsson coming on and Gomes going from sometimes finding aggressive passes to full Schneiderlin mode. Watford yesterday was hopeless because we went from Digne, Davies and Sidibe to Coleman, Delph and Digne. Too much pressure on Lucas and no effective attacking as a result. Let's get back to what worked.

He needs to drive forward with the ball more. Hes a strong lad who seems to bully people off the ball but is reluctant to do it. Marcos instructions maybe.

Also the few shots he has had this season and last season have looked quality. I remember he forces a few diving saves and hit the woodwork a few times and last night he bent it round with his left. If he has forward a bit more he could do that.

We need a threat coming from all over the pitch.
It seems to me that we concentrate far too much on getting the ball wide for the full backs to try to get crosses in, there is nothing wrong with that but it should be mixed up with a threat coming through from central midfield and apart from Tom Davies nobody seems to trying to create in that position which does make it difficult for the player behind the striker either Iwobi or Sigurdsson.

He will never be in a midfield like the Trinity. We just don't have that quality of midfielder at the club anymore.
We have not had a decent midfield now for years. And current managers just don't seem to be able to address that.
When we get one decent midfielder onboard, the other two are duds.
Delph and Schniederlin......God help us.
I would like to see Gomes alongside Tom Davies. With Beni getting a few games. And Iwobi making up a midfield four. Siggy from the bench.
We play 4-4-2. But Silva will persist with his stifling 4-2-3-1.
Against everyone. And our midfield will always be over run.
And our lone striker will always be isolated.

Gomes can play. He has something about him.
He just needs energy and outlets around him. Not stagnate and tippy tappy backwards and sideways nonsense. Who coaches our players that?

Imagine this midfield we could have had:

Agreed, personally I'd have had Davies in alongside Delph last night for the reasons you mentioned. Gomes has hardly set the world alight this season and Iwobi looks better with the quick interchange passes that he gets from Davies because we move the ball forward quicker which creates space.

Status
Not open for further replies.