2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know mate I remember when players having good games and doing exciting things to talk about with your mates/dad later was how they were judged. I honestly think pointless stats have become too readily available and folk now just pull them off websites to score weird internet points against people instead of appreciating and gaining enjoyment out of the sport that’s there to be watched.
The majority of stats available are absolutely garbage to telling anyone anything about a game. Having watched pros analyse a game it comes down to ‘moments’ rather than some strung out narrative.

Gomes gives plenty of moments.

It's the most boring example of one-upmanship I can think of. I remember when we used transfer threads to outdo each other on best cat gifs posted, now we need to track km covered and key passes to have a laugh, utterly tragic.

Let the fightback begin, tag in one of the stat nerds and get the ball rolling. @CRIMHEAD

giphy.gif
I agree with you here mate.

tenor.gif

It's the most boring example of one-upmanship I can think of. I remember when we used transfer threads to outdo each other on best cat gifs posted, now we need to track km covered and key passes to have a laugh, utterly tragic.

Let the fightback begin, tag in one of the stat nerds and get the ball rolling. @CRIMHEAD

giphy.gif

Statisticians Vs Normal Supporters

The West Side Story of Grand Old Team

6YaE.gif

So am I right in saying that one doesn’t need to create chances, make key passes, score goals, contribute in tackles or any other key stat that shows a significant contribution to the team to be considered a baller and can’t live without the guy?

Some of those were the exact stats I used to quote to show how influential Barkley for the team was in spite of the criticism he used to get.

So what indices or metric are considered important to a significant contribution? Finger pointing, ref shouting per minute? Or is hanging around the centre circle passing to the forward line to create everything or Gana to clean up everything behind you worth over £20m?

So am I right in saying that one doesn’t need to create chances, make key passes, score goals, contribute in tackles or any other key stat that shows a significant contribution to the team to be considered a baller and can’t live without the guy?

Some of those were the exact stats I used to quote to show how influential Barkley for the team was in spite of the criticism he used to get.

So what indices or metric are considered important to a significant contribution? Finger pointing, ref shouting per minute? Or is hanging around the centre circle passing to the forward line to create everything or Gana to clean up everything behind you worth over £20m?
nope....none of the above, he has to look good In blue.....and he really does.

When did all this STATS stuff first actually start? Not just on here but in football fandom in general?

It's really ruined football discussion in many ways. It's just so tiresome. You don't need a spreadsheet to explain why a player is good or bad, just use your eyes and watch them play FFS!
Exactly, I remember Rooneys best game for us against Bolton at 16 and he didn't score nor us win. Walked out amazed by him tho

I'm so bored with this discussion, but here's a quick one:

Defensive
5th worst in the PL in being dribbled past per game.
3rd in fouls per game.
9th on the team in tackles per game.
11th on the team in interceptions per game.
10th on the team in blocks per 90.
9th on the team in blocked passes per 90.

Offensive
18th on the team in Key Passes per game.
17th on the team in chances created per 90.
15th on the team in xA per 90.
11th on the team in xG per 90.
6th on the team in forward passes per game (under 15).

There ya go. I saw somewhere that he got passed by more than any other player in the league per 90, but I don't have those stats in front of me - at least not yet. Point being, bad defensively, creates little offensively.

I can also craft some useful stats in terms of possession and progressive passing that would demonstrate that he's quite good at helping us keep the ball and build up from the back while in possession. He's obviously fantastic at taking people on the dribble.

But again, if you have any training whatsoever in this game, I cannot imagine you wouldn't come away from this performance this past year thinking it was a mixed bag. But this idea that he's the most creative player since Arteta when Yerry Mina is a more dangerous creator of goals is kind of silly.
It's beyond the pale for you to complain about a discussion boring you

When did all this STATS stuff first actually start? Not just on here but in football fandom in general?

It's really ruined football discussion in many ways. It's just so tiresome. You don't need a spreadsheet to explain why a player is good or bad, just use your eyes and watch them play FFS!
Completed passes.
Shots on target.

Could be a short sideways pass.
Shot on target could be a crap free kick that the goalie puts his cap on.

Status
Not open for further replies.