2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just take umbrage with these ridiculous ideas that he's our best playmaker since Arteta.

In terms of his natural passing ability, vision and range, we have had very few midfielders since Arteta who can rival Gomes. If you can name a few, then please do - there are a few names which spring to mind, but in terms of pure passing ability, he's up there.

Look 'em up yourself. I watched them both play.

You've used stats to beat Gomes to death over the last 300 pages, and now when someone asks you to present some stats, you say you've come to a conclusion based on watching the players.

Most people on here have argued the exact point you're making - the fact that he's an excellent, talented midfielder based on watching him, rather than scrutinising pointless stats which don't show the best of his game.

It's more Bernard who needs to up his goal return. He's an attacker.

It would be great if Gomes got more, and he's capable. But the team can still succeed even if he doesn't.

That's true. I just mean for a player of his undoubted quality we can expect him to have more of an impact in the final third.

It depends on how he is played though totally. Like I said, it wasn't a critique.

Look at Dembélé spurs, a couple of seasons ago I’m sure he didn’t get a goal or an assist that season and yet he dominated a number of games I’m not saying Gomes is as good as him, though I do think he’s a similar style of player.

You could argue, that even though they reached the champions league final, they have missed Dembélé.

Again I don't disagree with you mate. Getting goals and assists may not be strictly his game/

But, if a chance comes his way like the one he got in the derby last year, for example, he needs to be taking them.

You've used stats to beat Gomes to death over the last 300 pages, and now when someone asks you to present some stats, you say you've come to a conclusion based on watching the players.

Most people on here have argued the exact point you're making - the fact that he's an excellent, talented midfielder based on watching him, rather than scrutinising pointless stats which don't show the best of his game.
I'm so bored with this discussion, but here's a quick one:

Defensive
5th worst in the PL in being dribbled past per game.
3rd in fouls per game.
9th on the team in tackles per game.
11th on the team in interceptions per game.
10th on the team in blocks per 90.
9th on the team in blocked passes per 90.

Offensive
18th on the team in Key Passes per game.
17th on the team in chances created per 90.
15th on the team in xA per 90.
11th on the team in xG per 90.
6th on the team in forward passes per game (under 15).

There ya go. I saw somewhere that he got passed by more than any other player in the league per 90, but I don't have those stats in front of me - at least not yet. Point being, bad defensively, creates little offensively.

I can also craft some useful stats in terms of possession and progressive passing that would demonstrate that he's quite good at helping us keep the ball and build up from the back while in possession. He's obviously fantastic at taking people on the dribble.

But again, if you have any training whatsoever in this game, I cannot imagine you wouldn't come away from this performance this past year thinking it was a mixed bag. But this idea that he's the most creative player since Arteta when Yerry Mina is a more dangerous creator of goals is kind of silly.

Xavi is widely hailed as the best passing CM of all time and is credited for 66 assists in 430 odd appearances for Barcalona. That’s approx 5/6 assists a season was he crap??
I don't care about assists, but are you seriously comparing the two?

In Xavi's last full season with Barca, in 1779 minutes in La Liga he had 8 assists.

In Andre Gomes's entire time with Valencia, Barcelona, Portugal, Benefica (Europe only), over 179 games and 11,474 minutes, he has had 8 assists total.

What's your point?

I don't care about assists, but are you seriously comparing the two?

In Xavi's last full season with Barca, in 1779 minutes in La Liga he had 8 assists.

In Andre Gomes's entire time with Valencia, Barcelona, Portugal, Benefica (Europe only), over 179 games and 11,474 minutes, he has had 8 assists total.

What's your point?
I’m saying raw stats ie assists don’t tell the full story. On the surface Xavi doesn’t look special hell Ozick looks better but the eye test will tell you Xavi is the supreme player.

I do think Gomes needs to improve his defensive contributions and he can certainly add more end product to his game. However we haven’t had a player of his caliber spraying passes around since Arteta. His passing ability is on another level and to say he isn’t creative is absurd. He regularly passes to a team mates advantage and passes lines.

Christ I can guarantee the majority of people here from opta or putting down Gomes would be the same ones fuming if he ended up at West Ham this summer.."Everton have no ambition, no money" etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.